Cost to check a ski on United?

• Baller_

I'm flying on United to Florida next month for ski school. Typically United charges a $200 oversize fee for a checked back over 63 linear inches (sum of L,W,H). But am I correct in reading United's "Sport Equipment" section that I won't be charged an oversize bag fee as long as my bag only contains ski gear and isn't over 50 lbs (even though it's close to 100 linear inches)?

And even if that's supposed to be true, does anyone have direct experience whether they actually honor that or if it's a hassle?

• Baller

It wasn't united from MSP but I only had to pay standard bag fee--they asked at check in what was in there and I told them skis.  Jim had tons of biz miles and thus was a first-class guy.  One year he had so many miles he covered me in first-class--bags are free regardless.   I think you are fine as is it will be std bags.

If they hit you with $200 you may as well upgrade to first class and let the bag be free--it's a wash but you get warm towels, better food and free drinks!   

• Like 1

• Baller

I've flown United with 3-event bags as my checked luggage a couple of times over the years. I've never had to pay an oversize bag fee, and typically it's hassel free. Most recently (last August), I had a bit of resistance, but after some polite conversation it was all figured out. Just make sure to have the policy up and ready on your phone just incase you get any push back. 

• Baller

It's been many years but on one trip my ski went free on the way down to fl and charged 200 on the way back, same airline, just happen to be the wrong counter worker, my cfo (wife) got our money back later. Read and print the policy ahead of time became our rule. 

• Baller

I've flown with my waterski & equipment in a SportTube various times on United, American, JetBlue and Frontier. Always been considered "sports equipment" & never been questioned, hassled or charged extra at check-in. It mostly leads to interesting conversations when I tell them it's a waterski as they are assuming it's snow skis.

• Like 1

• Baller

Flew on United this April with both my water ski and alpine skis (great trip to California!) and even utilized their free boot bag policy. Maybe consider removing your bindings and throwing them in another bag as a boot bag and stuff clothes in there as well to pack light! 

• Like 2

• Baller

I’ve flown with my ski a lot. Just tell them it’s skis(alpine), just a standard bag fee for skis. Since alpine skis are regularly checked in it’s not a problem. I’ve had an issue when I told them it was a waterski, mostly because they aren’t familiar with it and wanted to charge the over size fee.