Masters

JAS

• Baller

As much as I would love to watch, I gave up trying.  Now I just go directly to the resulst and then here to hopefully get some commentary.  They could do so much better for what is such a prestigious event.  They make TL and TWBC look like the gold standard of broadcasting

• Baller

As far as the coverage, I didnt think it was awful.  No TWBC, but not awful, tho you are right, graphics were not always on cue (or correct) and they arent great at who is skiing and rope length... but the video of the skiers wasnt bad.  @lpskier.  Really, you didnt think it was windy?  Not what it looked like, not what the commentators were saying and pretty sure not what the guys who only got into 32 or 35 thought.

Edit:  Today's coverage just started.  Looks to be much better conditions.  Hopefully will hold up through the day.

Edited by 75Tique

• Baller

@ScottScott 

Couldn't agree more. The reason I don't watch is because it is not available on YouTube or some other app based streaming service. I often watch TWBC coverage of events on TVs around the house as a 'background' thing.

It is also a great way to share it to less dedicated skiers to check out and get them to see some impressive skiing. You can't easily share the Maters webcast via text. 

• Baller

Constructive criticism.....if they would just chill out a little bit on the announcing...not every skier needs the monotone building turning into screaming as they jump. It gets a little silly.  You could do a little bit of it, but c'mon.

• Like 6

• Baller_

The live stream production all weekend was terrible across the board. like watching with some kid with the remote control.... jumper on their counter and were watching cornhole live on the hill behind the Pavillion! 

TWC does it much better!

Hey Sullivan your video production was pitiful!!

Edited by Jody_Seal
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Baller

It was ironic all the times they panned away for a minor potential crash and then didn’t for Joel’s.  Weird.  The webcast was very half-hearted from a camera perspective.  I definitely want to see someone’s iPhone on a countercut of a final participant. 

• Baller

If you want to take part in the Greatest Show in water skiing, clearly the Masters is not it.

Think they done Freddie a favour, more enjoyable places to strut your stuff, Swiss, Miami and many others.

The competition in Greece last year, was what this sport needs, have a party and invite the Best Skiers in the World to compete.

• Like 2

• Baller_

people move into the 21st century.. 

From my perspective, this years masters on the water event was still a very professionaly executed event. kudos to Rohni she still manages to create and produce the best waterski/wake event for in person participation as well as spectator  interaction within the toad water'sports world. and she does it on a very limited budget, that's getting smaller every year.

sadly the interweb deal that was called live stream or whatever live left a lot to be desired. the ramp cam interruption in jump was a distraction and as well did not due the audiences watching the sport justice. one min listing to commentators scream and then they go from a wide view of the jumper to this flash of color and have then have to watch the replay they missed the jump live with a flash of color. or skier setting down and they decide to cover the back hill corn hole event where two very over weight men shirtless  were playing cornhole..like putting the Porta toilet right behind commentators kiosk ... seen that too!! anyway very hard to  watch

I guess I come from working the masters during the ESPN days!

All in all from my perspective it was a great Red Solo -Cup weekend at callaway.                 Congratulations to all the winners...

FB_IMG_1684944548473.jpg

Edited by Jody_Seal
  • Like 8

• Baller

@disland Because that’s the way it’s always been. Very reluctant to make any changes. Be grateful that Dano isn’t announcing waterski events. My video feed was dropping on Sunday and I had to reload, not as bad as previous years though.

• Baller

Still much better than last year. No Dano on 3 EVENT means somebody is reading BOS. Hope they keep reading. I get that the guys are doing both the webcast and on site announcing, but a little less over the top wowing, and more analysis. More skier profiles and backgrounds, agree they need some interviews. Again, much better job this year.   

• Like 1

• Baller

@disland I think the main reason there are no interviews is that the webcast commentators are also the on-site announcers.  They also seem to lack that extra camera man + commentator to facilitate interviews.  It comes off feeling more like a "show" than a tournament and i definitely prefer the TWBC broadcasts which opens up the skiers for the audience through interviews,  bringing them to the booth for commentary, etc.

That said, I think Tyler Boyd does a fine job at the Masters and pairing him with the Australian announcer who does Moomba was an improvement this year.

• Like 1

• Baller

Let's just face it, we're spoiled by TWBC.  Without having them around for the last few years for comparison, we would have all been ecstatic with this year's Masters coverage. 

Edited by LeonL
  • Like 4