S LINE ROPES

bananaron

• Baller

What s line rope have you used and are they working out.I have one from last yr and I am not sure which one I have.I know they have at least 4 different ropes and I want to order another one.I ski open water and am 75 yrs young. should I get the one with the most stretch??

• Baller
15 minutes ago, jcamp said:

Which S Lines rope is most similar to the Optimized 2.0? 

I use both the 2.0 and the R3 without noticing much difference, but haven't done side-by-side comparison in the same day. 

The S-Lines R3 may be a little stiffer than ML 2.0, so the Comp Series may be a better match. The S-Series (soft) was way too soft, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

• Baller
3 hours ago, Dano said:

I have the x-series and I couldn't be happier. It's a stiffer rope but it has some give to it.  My last rope was a syndicate which is definitely stiffer than the x-series.

Yeah, Radar and Syndicate ropes are really stiff compared to the other offerings out there.  I loved the feel of all my Radar ropes, so the Comp took a little adjusting to.  Nothing like the Optimized though.  I won't even bother skiing if that's the only option.  The X series is a perfect compromise for me.

• Like 1

• Baller_

Wasn’t sure which S-line thread to drop this in but this seems good.

I ski behind a 1997 SN with PP Classic. I have no trouble skiing behind my buddy’s 2008 with ZO on C1. My scores are the same behind both. To be honest, sometimes ZO feels easier. Spent the last 3 days absolutely struggling behind his boat. Checked my fin, checked ZO setting. Messed with my boot. Nothing helped. The rope was all that was left. But no way could it be the rope. He had an HO tournament line. I’d been skiing my S-Line for several weeks. Weeks prier to that it was in his boat for a week. Put the S-line back in his boat and WOW what a diff. Right back to my norm. For me it was the first time I ever felt a rope make that much diff. Like almost a full pass diff. Not sure what HO has for rope but it was a cable. S-Line medium stretch just felt easy and easy on my body which was also suffering from the HO rope. Won’t be making that mistake again. S-Line rocks. 

• Baller

Second season on the S-line medium and very happy.  Also just received a 13” handle 1.092 diam. haven’t skied it yet,  but looks nicely made and included a crossbar. 

IMG_0772.jpeg

Edited by skibrain
  • Like 2

• Baller

So, now I am a little confused.  I currently practice with a Radar 8 loop rope. Doesn't feel much different from the HO or the Slines X. I know the Master line optima 2 I had in one tournament felt awful, though I think I could learn to like. Likewise for Slines C or R.  Problem is that upcoming state, regionals, and nationals (if I qualify), I'm  not sure what ropes will be offered. This seems to be the conundrum. I might find a great line I like in practice, but it won't  be offered as a choice in tournaments. Pretty sure the Masteline Pro will be the line offered. It's kinda like my ski won't be allowed at certain tournaments. I skied great in the Perfect Pass days, then AWSA changed to ZO. Now they are screwing with the rope. Either decide on 1 or  give us a choice among several ropes at tournaments. Otherwise, just tell us what ropes will be used (as well as what boat), and we can cboose to pass or play. Makes me want to just pass on tournament skiing altogether,  get out of organized skiing and get a PP boat and rope of my choice and go have fun. Hey, let us bring our own slalom rope to tournaments like they do for jumpers.  

• Baller

@ETskier both ML optimized and Pro ropes will or should be offered at regionals and nationals. The optimized rope is not crap as drago says. It’s just a different. The optimized  rope is more forgiving rope when you load  the boat. It has a bit more stretch  vs the other ropes.  I know many pros that use the optimized  rope for practice  and they don’t have any difference  in performance.  If you’re using a radar I would go with the ML PRO. you will not be disappointed.  

Edited by dave2ball
  • Thanks 1

• Baller

Just broke out a new S Lines Comp and it's very similar to Optimized 2.0, except 1/2 the cost. Quality and assembly is spot-on. 

It's softer than I prefer but leads to less dismay when I ski a tournament with Optimized or a fresh ML Pro rope. 

S Lines R3 is my "favorite", thought I haven't tried their newest X Series. 

• Thanks 1

• Baller

ML Pro is the best rope ever made. For decades I never had to adjust one --always in tolerance for tournaments, and skied great out of the bag. A home run 50 feet over the fence.
I use to run 39 fairly often. I could not even run a complete pass, at any length, with an optimized rope. I would seriously quit the sport if that was my only choice. Matter of fact, that's when I stopped entering Nationals.

I guess if you weigh 140 lbs it doesn't matter, but for us adults: A complete whiff, look-up-into-the-sky and pull-your-shoulder-up-with-the-hardest-swing-you-can-muster whiff. 

• Like 2

• Baller
On 5/31/2023 at 10:44 AM, jcamp said:

Which S Lines rope is most similar to the Optimized 2.0? 

The mid stretch Slines has the same amount of stretch as the Opt 2. 
After a season of use for both ropes I took them and attached them to a fixed point at the 28 off loop. 
The ropes were identical in stretch amount and felt the same while pulling and releasing. 

• Like 1

• Baller

Bottom line, at most tournaments you're going to get Masterline Pro. (or S-Lines equivalent)  You might get the choice of Optimized or HO (My preference). Best is to train with what you are likely to get. However, after 50 to a 100 sets, they all become stiff fairly stiff.

If you don't care about tournaments,  go with what you like.

• Baller

Logically attempting to infuse a certain amount of flex in a rope is like a component that will wear down,  creating a different result than desired.  As such buying a rope with defined flex is virtually guaranteed to change faster than a rope built with little/no flex. Yes we all know that any rope will have some amount of flex but again why intentionally buy something that will change fairly quickly . A rope with little/no flex built in delivers a more consistent pull and with less change forward. My rationale for the S lines R3. Least flex rope they build  - great rope. 

Yes indeed this is a very personal choice thing, and yes being free of tournament is invigorating. Trying to please the world is impossible.  

• Baller

I skied an entire summer on a S-Lines X Rope. It was unreal. Scott’s customer service was unreal…. Quality second to none. It’s awesome seeing S-Lines supporting events and skiers as well as event organizers selecting S as their tournament line. 🙌 

• Like 3