Ion 2

skiboyny

• Baller

@skiboynyhow about the under 21 men's finals worlds? 12 D3s, one evo, one ion, a couple of R3s and the rest… ion2s 

I don’t ski on one, but have seen great success from the skiers skiing on ion2, skiers that I ski with, some also are coming off an ion and still feel that ion2 is a little better…

• Baller
1 hour ago, BTheis said:

I was on HO v type r I did like that ski , tried a Denali was not for me tried Radar vapor build I thought it was ok faster than the ion but much less predictable. Where do you ski?

Ski out in Waterport NY. I have skied the HO vtype. Not the R, didn't care for that ski at all. Would you say the Ion is more work to ski? Perhaps it sits deeper in the water?

• Baller

I was on HO v type r I did like that ski , tried a Denali was not for me tried Radar vapor build I thought it was ok faster than the ion but much less predictable. Where do you ski

I believe there was a fairly big difference between the v type and the R. To me the ion2 rides high and is very easy to ski the turning and edge holding is awesome, but you should always test ride before you purchase.

• Baller
46 minutes ago, whitem71 said:

Anyone tried the D3 Neo / Neo2 that Freddie is riding? Anyone know the difference between that and the Ion?

I’m demoing the Neo 2 now. I’ve only had four sets on the ski. Second set on it, I had a five buoy season PB. Neo feels very symmetrical, and definitely generates plenty of angle. I’d been riding a too large for me, Syndicate Works 02 for about a month. Like it as well, but as I said it’s too big for me, so I’ve reached the limit of what I can get out of this Works 02. I’d like to find someone who would trade me this Works 02 XL for a large.

I’d been on the Ion S since post nationals 2020, except about six weeks on the NRG 2 in 2021.

• Like 1

• Baller

@kc what numbers are you running on the Neo2? I’m trying the neo2 this weekend and I have numbers from a top pro skier… 😊but was thinking that I’m nowhere near at what he is running into…  Not something extreme and not far from Neo’s numbers that are posted on the D3 site. 
but I wanted to know what others are running, skiers like myself or a lot better, but not super humans like the pros. I ski between -28 and -35.

TIA

Alex

• Baller

@skialex is the ski you have set stock?  Not that it really matters. Ride the ski the way it’s set up. See what happens. See what changes may or not need to be made. 
if you feel you need to move the fin use the numbers given to you they may be a great fit.  

• Baller

@skialexI spoke with Will Bush before I rode the ski. These are numbers Will suggested to me for the 67”. 6.925-6.930, 2.460, .735, and 29 15/16-30” FH.  First set I rode the Neo as received. 6.928, 2.456, and .758, FH at 30”. I’ve since moved into the range Will provided. I’ve gradually reduced DFT with each set, with the least DFT I’ve tried being .738. (I’ve maintained boot at 30”.)

One challenge in honing in on what feels best, has been the fact that in five sets I’ve been behind two boats, and four drivers. Water conditions have been the consistent factor, (very good!), except for today in a strong head/tailwind. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Baller
1 hour ago, dave2ball said:

@skialex is the ski you have set stock?  Not that it really matters. Ride the ski the way it’s set up. See what happens. See what changes may or not need to be made. 
if you feel you need to move the fin use the numbers given to you they may be a great fit.  

I always start at stock, fin is rarely at exactly stock as it comes out of the factory. So I always setup a new ski at stock before trying it. I’m confident with my setting up skills. I setup a handful of skis per week for the past 15 years and have improved a lot since I’ve started doing this.

this Neo 2 bought by someone else and he put some numbers given to him. I didn’t set it up, so I don’t know what numbers it had when received. All I know is that the owner of the ski couldn’t run passes on it and dinged it with the handle at the tip. So I now have a chance to set it up and try it. I also fixed the ding.

thanks for your advice though, any advice is always welcomed.

Also I believe that this is a very good ski and all it needs is a good setting up, can’t wait to try it.

• Like 1

• Baller

@kc run your numbers, ski is money… 

One set so far, different boat/lake first set, run 4x -28 missed my first -32 run the second… really nice effortless skiing. Great off side turn finish that leads to a great on side turn too. Ski is a keeper. Talking about the Neo2… @skiboyny I’m sorry for hijacking your thread 

• Baller
27 minutes ago, skialex said:

@kc run your numbers, ski is money… 

One set so far, different boat/lake first set, run 4x -28 missed my first -32 run the second… really nice effortless skiing. Great off side turn finish that leads to a great on side turn too. Ski is a keeper. Talking about the Neo2… @skiboyny I’m sorry for hijacking your thread 

Glad to hear they worked for you, even though I can’t take credit for the numbers! Just shared. 😊

• Thanks 1

• Baller

@skiboynyi have set a lot of skiers on ion and ion2, zero complaints, only happy skiers and new PBs, also skiers that came off the ion which they liked, they liked ion2 more. Never tried one when I had a chance, usually all ion2 around me were the wrong size. Always intrigued to try one but the Neo2 I’ve tried was a blast! So I will give it my time, heck I want to buy one now…

To be fair I don’t believe there are bad skis… skis have evolved to a point that maybe there are some small differences mostly brand or model related and some skis suit some skiers more than others…