Measuring Point on New Vapor Boot

ALPJr

• Baller

Were is the measuring point on the new Vapor boot, mounted on the standard Radar aluminum plate? Were the heal of the boot meets the plate, the rear most point a couple inches above the plate? Are people generally using the same holes in the plate if they are just switching from the older Vapor to the new 2023 boot on the same ski? 

Edited by ALPJr

• Baller

I’m not so sure if the bottom of the heel gives you the right measurement.

I’m a size 10 reflex and radar, with the reflex shell on… I measure from under the heel block, then I put the radar on and bottom of the heel gives me a  bigger number. So at the beginning I used to measure with the reflex and them put on the radar. I’ve noticed that radar feels better if I move the plate 1/8 back. Still measuring at the bottom gives me a bigger number… 

now that I’m used to the radar I measure midways on the heel and gives me the same number as with the reflex on and measuring under the heel block. I don’t know if this is the best way, but it works for me. 

• Baller

I see similar results @skialex. When measuring my 2020 Vapor from the lower stitch it’s about ~1/8 less ~29 7/8, than measuring the 2023 from the bottom = ~30” so I’ll stick with the 2020’s for now and play with the 2023s more in the fall.

Edited by ALPJr
  • Like 1

• Baller
On 7/14/2023 at 4:34 AM, skialex said:

I’m a size 10 reflex and radar, with the reflex shell on… I measure from under the heel block, then I put the radar on and bottom of the heel gives me a  bigger number. So at the beginning I used to measure with the reflex and them put on the radar. I’ve noticed that radar feels better if I move the plate 1/8 back. Still measuring at the bottom gives me a bigger number… 

now that I’m used to the radar I measure midways on the heel and gives me the same number as with the reflex on and measuring under the heel block. I don’t know if this is the best way, but it works for me. 

This would be good news for me. I'm looking for 30" and with the binding holes I can only get 29 7/8. Next stop 30 1/4

• Baller

@skiboyny try 29 7/8 first, add some 0.005" length if it makes you feel better. Don’t file out the holes, it will make the plate move all the way forward. It can work only if you can make a diy stop, or maybe it’s time to invest in a Mikrojust. You’re gonna love it, best ski tuning tool.

• Baller
On 7/14/2023 at 1:34 AM, skialex said:

@skialex I like that you have done a comparison.  I've been using Radar vapor front for a long time.  I don't have any bindings to compare it too.  But I have had it on 4 different skis.  Radar says to measure to the bottom stitch.  On my Vapor ski I measured to bottom stitch and mounted as per Radar recommended.  It was exactly the middle hole and it skied awesome.  On the other 3 skis I have always ended up moving binding back of the recommended measurement when measuring to the bottom stitch by 1/8 to 1/4".  From what you are saying it sounds like midway of the heel gives you the same measurement as the Relfex so if you were to measure to the bottom of the heal to locate and use the same measurement the Radar binding would  be further back than the Reflex as described.  So I can't explain why pulling the Radar binding even further back  works for me, but I know going forward does not work.  Maybe it's the way the boot holds your foot or the angle of the cuff that is the difference for how it skis?

• Baller

@Dano on the older vapor or any other Radar boot I measure from the bottom stitching too. It’s the new hard shell vapor that gives me a little hard time measuring distance from the heel to the back of the ski. Measuring from where the boot touches the plate, gives me a bigger number by more than 1/8 than the reflex, both on the same plate. Still I feel better to move a little back when using the hard shell Vapor over the reflex.  Could be the connection to the plate or that the heel sits further forward than other brands… 

• Baller

@skialexThere has got to be a better way to place/measure front boot location.  I’m pretty good at finding the right spot by feel now.  But in the past I am sure I rode several skis for the entirety with a poor setup just because I measured and set to factory measurement.  I guess I had just assumed that would be close enough for all bindings brands.  For a reference I dug out my old A3 that I rode at factory measurement and decided that ski wasn’t for me.  I have a Vapor binding on it. I moved the binding back 1/4” and all of a sudden It feels pretty darn good.  

• Like 1