Connelly C1?

LK_skier

• Baller_

My ski partner here in NY has one. It just arrived on Wednesday. Serial #1. He’s been on a prototype for a year. It is basicly a wider DV8. He uses an unconventional tail that is 3” long and 2.5” wide at the trailing end. 

Lpskier

• Baller

@Mose - its the tail of the ski not the fin.  Essentially there are 3 different option for a ski to customise the ski to suit their style best. You'd have to investigate what is what in more detail but at a high level the dquare tail (which I use) gives a little more lift to the ski - I'm a heavier skier and this helps me - on the other hand the round will ride deeper and may suit a smaller/lighter skier better.

image.png

• Like 1

• Baller

@Wish - Oh yeah I did see something about the tail will allow you to change it from a 65 to a 66 - which then means you need to be able to have the fin block move with the increased length... I assume that is what they mean 

• 63” includes VT, VS, VR, and VT+ Versatail blocks
  • 65", 66”, 67”, and 68” includes VT, VS, VR, VRS, and VSR Versatail blocks

• Baller_

I also hear you can adjust the bindings…

The versa tails attach aft of the fin clamp. The Versa-fin does not change that fact. The tail selection is less fin set up sensitive than you would think. My ski partner has skied on a variety of custom and non custom tails, all on his standard Connelly numbers. Some tails are different than others but none are dramatically different in terms of performance, from what I see from the boat and scoresheets. 

Lpskier

• Baller

Can anyone answer me this is Connelly still offering a life time grantee one there top of the range skis such as DV8 C1 or did it stop With GTR ? it doesn't meation life time grantee one website anymore 

• Baller
On 8/9/2023 at 2:06 AM, LK_skier said:

@Wish - Oh yeah I did see something about the tail will allow you to change it from a 65 to a 66 - which then means you need to be able to have the fin block move with the increased length... I assume that is what they mean 

Its in your link its a only the 63" ski that becomes a 65" and you go from a 63" with versa-tail to a  65" VT tailed ski unclear why its listed that way I suspect engineering wise they concluded that if you're heavy enough to need a 67" ski you are too heavy to put that pressure into the system as it was designed.

• Administrators

@Mose

I will review the C1 in the spring.

I have been skiing on "this and that" lately and as of tomorrow I am going to a ski that I think is best for working on skills over the winter. 

• Baller

@Horton you and Joel McClintock if my memory is correct.   I only saw photos in Spray, never been up close to one in person.  Sorta like Lucky Lowe's Great American skis.  They looked cool in the ads but I have never encountered one in the wild.  But i think my biggest unicorn is a Chippendale trick ski made in England. 

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, Cooper_Trelawney said:

Chippendale trick

When I was in grade school and Dave Benzel ran my Dad's ski school Dave rode a Chippendale. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

@DavidP My winter ski is fast ( easy my my old body ) and rewards me when I am more technical ( make it easier to work on specific skills ).  

• Like 1

• Baller

@Horton you definitely win the prize for witnessing a Chippendale trick ski in the wild AND growing up with so many waterski legends and  gurus coming to your family's lake. 

I remember Dave Benzel on ESPN comparing station wagon turns to sports car turns in his commentary.  He probably used those terms in his coaching too.  I don't think that terminology flys in today's ski world. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

@Cooper_Trelawney the thing about Dave was that not only did he ski on a Chippendale but he looked like he worked at a Chippendales walking around in his speedo.

• DIslike 1
  • Haha 1

• Baller

Would I be better off with a 67 or 68? I will be around 185-190 when skiing this year. I have been skiing the 2021 DV8 67 at around 195 and haven't really had issues with stability. Chart says 160-180 use 67 and >180 use 68.

• Baller
33 minutes ago, rockdog said:

That is a DV8 my friend, not a C1.

Yes just to clarify: bought it on Geartrade.com and I’m assuming they listed it as a C1 by accident. They don’t deal much in waterskis so it makes sense. The price fits the 23’ DV8, but I’ll tell you I was definitely hoping to snag a C1 for well below MSRP.