Joel Howley sighting

Horton

• Baller

Will someone please give Joel a ride to Start Haus in Truckee, CA. It's a proper alpine/downhill ski shop specializing in ski racing. One of the owners is a water skier, and I'm sure he'll replace those pipe clamps with alpine ski boot buckles. Despite the sponsorship opportunity, it's 2023 and there's no need for a Dewalt drill to get in and out of a boot. 

Edited by Maxsend
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Baller_

The back boot..wow. I believe that’s a carbon fiber speed skate boot. I used to run home built double hard shells and always elevated the back heal like that. I especially like the rust coming off the mounting bolt. 

• Like 2

• Baller

That rear boot is nuts.  On the idea of elevating the heel like that, I always thought that was counter-intuitive for most humans.  If I build up my heel, I end up pushing on the tail of the ski more.  I noticed an improvement in my skiing when I went from a Radar RTP with a big fat footbed to a flat, wafer-thin Wileys rear.

• Like 1

• Baller

Jeez it looks like he’s been messing around with left over crap he found in his garage. Maybe we’re the crazy ones and in 10 years this becomes the industry standard. I particularly like the spring on the back of the front boot to give rubber boot-like dampening..

• Haha 1

• Baller
6 minutes ago, Wish said:

Let’s not forget…World Champion…

Spot on @wish

We've been over Joel's bindings on another couple of threads. I especially love how there's plenty on here who ski maybe a couple times a week at 12m and question what he does despite the fact he's a World Champion, skis every single day year round and very soon to run 41. I'm pretty sure he's got it covered..

• Like 2

• Baller_

@Ski2000 I largely disagree with you on skiers”not willing to build what they need to win.” Maybe for folks like you and me, but at the top end of the sport, I see it a lot. Hang out with Kris LaPoint for a couple days and the pros that ski with him. Or with Will Asher.  Or CP. Or Adam Caldwell and Cord.  All those guys (and gals and others) are trying new ideas all the time. 

• Like 1

Lpskier

• Baller
5 hours ago, UWSkier said:

That rear boot is nuts.  On the idea of elevating the heel like that, I always thought that was counter-intuitive for most humans.  If I build up my heel, I end up pushing on the tail of the ski more.  I noticed an improvement in my skiing when I went from a Radar RTP with a big fat footbed to a flat, wafer-thin Wileys rear.

That is counter-intuitive. It's not as high as it appears, probably close to the normal ramp angle of most waterski bindings. The carbon in the heel of the skate boot is maybe 3mm thick and there's a big posting block under the metatarsals.

I used to do stuff like this, working for my brother making custom skate and bike shoes. I tried double skate boot hardshells (scared the livin' heck out of me);  used to add tons of plastic to bindings, etc. T-Whisper solved all binding problems when he created the T-factor (.)

• Like 1

• Baller

Has this always been JH set up? Would be interested to know what he was running on a conventional set up before he started tinkering? Suspect as the athlete he is, that 39 goes down on a conventional set up. This looks like searching for the extra bouy rather than the reason he skis well. Ie no one else should be doing this 🙂

• Baller

@Deep11 At the World Champioships, he was using a different snow ski boot, but pretty similar to the current setup.

@Horton He did indeed win. He also threw his ski out to make an impossible ball in horrible conditions. There is a pretty decent chance that he would have been injured no matter what binding/boot he was using.

image.png

• Baller_

Wasn’t there, can’t say how it happened but if memory serves it was not his knee or ankle. So to me that style boot pushes all the load up past the delicate ankle bones and into some pretty hefty bones. If both boots were the same, that would mean any twisting would be transferred to the hips as the 2 legs would be as one bolted to the ski…even harder to break something. Now two vastly diff boots with diff load breaking points is not cool in my book. That goes for hard shell front (reflex) and rubber boot in the back (willeys). To me they will eject at diff loads and diff times. Safest in my head is both feet stay in always or both come out close to if not at the same time. I skied double hard shells bolted to ski for decades with gnarly falls and never had a leg injury but did get scorpioned in the back by the ski once..that was bad. No 100% safe system but there are ones better than others IMHO. I don’t see Joel’s as safe but that’s not because he uses a snow ski boot. It’s because he doesn’t use 2. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Jordan said:

@Horton He did indeed win. He also threw his ski out to make an impossible ball in horrible conditions. There is a pretty decent chance that he would have been injured no matter what binding/boot he was using.

I disagree. Injury is always a possibility but Joel's boot set up certainly increased his likelihood of getting hurt. 

• Like 1

• Baller
11 hours ago, Jordan said:

Remember that Joel shattered his ankle (leg?) with that set-up at the World championships

The boot broke at that worlds causing the injury.  If the boot didn't break he wouldn't have had the injury - more than likely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

@LK_skier

I am unaware that Joel's boot broke at worlds but he certainly broke a bunch of bones. If he had been in a safe binding we would not be talking about this now.

• Baller
10 hours ago, Horton said:

@LK_skier

I am unaware that Joel's boot broke at worlds but he certainly broke a bunch of bones. If he had been in a safe binding we would not be talking about this now.

It definitely broke. Joel has said that several times when questioned about his boot set up and why would you still use similar after that worlds injury. He has also never said he’s wearing it for safety and never advocated that it is safe. Its 100% performance based and he fees this set up is best for his style to get the most bouys.  Can’t wait for his podcast on this one day. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

@LK_skier I have talked to Joel about it. His attitude is that it works for him and he won the gold. He knows the risk and accepts it. I think he is a bit crazy but that is not really news. Crossing my fingers that he skis well this weekend.

• Like 3

• Baller

@lpskier Why do you say not a good idea that about those jump bindings. You don't know what you're talking about.  1990s snow ski binding technology is still light years ahead of anything produced by any waterski binding to this day. I built those in late 90s and used them successfully until mid 2000s. They never pre-released and the only time I crashed they performed flawlessly except for some cheap broken buckles. Good rubber jump binding don't release and you are going to hurt your leg in a crash. They were rolleblade  boots that I fabricated to mount on snow ski bindings. If I were to get back into jumping (unlikely) there is no doubt that I would use something like this. The science has been done in the snow ski industry. I would think Joel would use something like this for his set up. My boots were much less rigid than snow ski boots and I found a much lower DIN number was necessary. I was jumping mid 160s in men 3 back then with many Reg. and Nat. titles. Not pro tour but working full time at a regular job raising kids etc.  

• Baller_

I have to agree with @wilyle ..snow ski bindings are multi directional in their release and the amount of release tension can be set. I am a huge fan of the MOB binding system for that reason. Smart design. I also know that I'd rather crash on water at 50mph with one ski on then crash down a mountain at 50mph with two. I love innovation.  Without it we would not have half the cool stuff we have now. I'm sure there has been plenty of test dummy's over the decades trying out new stuff at high risk.  I applaud Joel. I hope in some way his thought process and theory works its way into some cool design we all may benefit from. But haters with be haters. 

• Like 1

• Baller

Spot on @wish.  I like the MOBs as well for the reasons you stated. I think they are an evolution of the ARC bindings from the mid or early 90s. Back then there were a few skiers using the ARCs for jump but there were a lot of concerns about pre-release. I spent a good bit of time talking with the guy who built the ARCs. I can't remember his name (old age) but he was a great guy from NW. I'm not sure what the improvements that Mike has made since then but I hope he chimes in on this thread. I think the ARC was based on the Besser snow ski binding system from way back in the 70s. They used them a lot on beginner rental skis back then. I grew up snow skiing and water-skiing way back then. I'm very interested in this topic.

• Like 1

• Baller_

@Drago same…bolted my hard shells to the ski for decades..no leg or foot injurys. Harsh ..maybe.. but it bugs me that the automatic go to opinion on something different is…well that can’t be safe. I swear every tournament I went to someone would…as politely as they could…tell me I was nuts. 

• Baller_

@wilyle Well, in point of fact, I ski on Fogman bindings whose release mechanisms are based on the Miller snow ski binding, so I take your point. I guess I was more interested in showing a picture of the bindings than I was cautious in how I described them. They certainly are interesting and unique on jump skis. Hard shells for slalom and trick are common, but those (yours?) are the only ones I’ve ever seen. I apologize for being cavalier with my comments. I never saw them in action, so a negative sounding comment was out of line. 

Are you in Lake Charles, LA? 

Lpskier

• Baller

An orthopedic surgeons dream come true! You have got to be kidding me. Possibly a Daniel Tosh episode?
What part of the picture am I missing here??  "If this is an emergency hang up the phone and dial 911"

• Heterodox 1