Montana Malibu promo boat

tru-jack

• Baller

anyone ski behind the 2021 malibu promo in Montana?  I've followed the txi threads, and it seems with all boats/brands, some are great, some aren't .  Looking at the 2021 promo being offered in Montana, and looking for some first hand experience.  much appreciated. thanks.

• Baller

I have a 19 and like it a lot. Call me bias but I’m not a brand loyalist.   Mine has the 6L which has ample power, although the 6.2L in the 20+ will be better.  Tracks and skis well, not much to complain about on that front. 

In my opinion, all of the new boats suffer from some sub-par QC/QA, especially for the price tag, but the Malibu is built as good or better than any Nautique or Mastercraft on the showroom floor today. 

Most people on here have an orgasmic reaction when hearing the word Prostar, so don’t be surprised when that’s all you hear about on here. Yes, the Prostar is a great boat, but you can’t go wrong with any of the big three. 

Edited by ResponseSkier
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

• Baller

Yes, I’ve skied it several times, including a tournament last weekend. Great boat, in new condition. I haven’t driven it, but an owner of a 200 said it tracks better than his boat.  Like any of the Big 3 it skis great. A bit if a bump at 22, but then 28 and shorter it’s fine. 

• Baller

thanks everyone., really appreciate you comments.  I did chat with the owner and he seemed to be a great guy, and   He too mentioned both he and his ski partner with the 200 felt this tracked better, which is really encouraging.  very tempting....  will re-introduce the topic with my wife, but this time wait until she's had a few glasses of wine and make sure not mention the fact that one daughter starts university next week, and the other next year...

• Haha 3

• Baller

Of all the things a boat can do, tracking is what the 17+ Malibu does the worst of all. We call them the "bars of soap". I drive one nearly every day. This is not a slam, it's just the patent truth on this matter.

I don't know what kinda crazy 200 these guys are driving but that is what the 200 does the best of all so that's a shocking take IMO.

• Like 1
  • Heterodox 1

• Baller

I'll chime in on this. First, @jhughes who did you PM in your post above? It appears you might have hijacked this thread trying to sell your boat. Nah, you wouldn't do that. Second, you then went on to say how slippery all Malibu's from '17 on are, they're the worst, and then said your '23 actually drives pretty well. Well, maybe the factory had two good days because this boat drives very good. I had no problem switching back a forth from that crazy 200 to the Malibu at the tourney this past weekend and run respectable Surpath numbers in both boats from the Boys divisions all the way through M3, 6, 7 & 10. This Malibu does drive very well. For TXi as you say. Sure the 200s might be more consistent from boat to boat but this Bu is no slouch.  It also skis very well too. But don't take my word for it, I'm still working on my deep water starts.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

• Baller
On 8/23/2023 at 8:26 PM, jedgell said:

Yes, I’ve skied it several times, including a tournament last weekend. Great boat, in new condition. I haven’t driven it, but an owner of a 200 said it tracks better than his boat.  Like any of the Big 3 it skis great. A bit if a bump at 22, but then 28 and shorter it’s fine. 

On 8/24/2023 at 7:28 AM, tru-jack said:

thanks everyone., really appreciate you comments.  I did chat with the owner and he seemed to be a great guy, and   He too mentioned both he and his ski partner with the 200 felt this tracked better, which is really encouraging.  very tempting....  will re-introduce the topic with my wife, but this time wait until she's had a few glasses of wine and make sure not mention the fact that one daughter starts university next week, and the other next year...

You guys have just broken rule number 1 of boat threads on BoS.  One must first pay homage to the utopian craft known as the 200 before making a single disparaging comment or comparison lest you suffer the wrath of the Nautique fan clan.  Repent, before they start burning jump skis on your front lawn.

7p0gqp.jpg

I'm just happy Malibu is still in the game.  But I have to wonder if we'd have a new TXi by now if it weren't for what happened to Chad...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

• Baller
17 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

One must first pay homage to the utopian craft known as the 200 before making a single disparaging comment or comparison lest you suffer the wrath of the Nautique fan clan.  Repent, before they start burning jump skis on your front lawn.

Nautiques get unfairly trashed on here in MC land more than any other boat, hands down.  (And they objectively do track the best).  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Baller

I have a 2022 Txi with the M5Di engine.  Has plenty of HP for course skiing and barefootin.  Tracks rock solid even with a heavy weight slalom dude on short line.  Wake size at longer rope lengths (22’, 15’) are significant IMHO.  28’ and shorter are a dream! 👍. You won’t be disappointed if you snag that boat.

• Baller
7 hours ago, LeonL said:

The last 2 Malibus that a local promo had were, even according to him, horrendous at 15, and 22.  Not my words.  I never skied it.  Last tourney at their site, it just sat on the trailer.

I’d caveat that with “slower speed” at 15 and 22. In my option they are maybe the worst long line wakes below 32. At 34 and 36… great. Same-ish as a Prostar, 200, or Ski Nautique.  I’ve repeatedly gotten further up the line behind a Malibu than any other boat despite my love of all things Prostar.   Our club has a new TXi 6.2 and I quite enjoy it.  

Edited by Mastercrafter

• Baller

Mastercrafter said it well—. At 34 and 36 it is great.  They are ALL great.  I’ve owned all of them over the last 5 years

Currently have a Ski Nautique. Don’t notice a damn thing different behind the boat at 34mph. I start at -22 and get to -35 on an exceptional day

If you like it, get it. It’s a good tug

• Baller

@dave2ball, thanks and I agree.  I'm in Ontario Canada, and can't find a 2017 or newer txi to try.  Will likely find one to try this winter on vacation south.  To be honest, the current design is getting a bit old and am hoping for a refresh in 2024 but understand there isn't one scheduled.