Denali C-95, anyone ride one not named Adam?

Jaypro

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Baller

@VONMAN - great question! Thanks. Response to come soon!

@o2bnMaine I made a few trips down to test some skis but the weather was garbage every time! lol.   The small mold is officially done and ready for you. 🙂  I've got a few build slots opened up for March...  Would love to get you setup and dialed before you head to Maine!

• Like 2

• Baller

@Adam Caldwell I've noticed under fin settings for the C-95 that there are settings for standard five hole fin and CG rh and lh fins? Do 2 fins come with the ski? What have you found in testing? Waiting to press the buy button.

• Like 2

Ernie Schlager

• Baller

OK kids today is my shipping date for a C-95 large ski. So if you have any new fin and front boot numbers other than the stock numbers that you would be willing to share please do. It will reduce the tuning time. I will be starting off with the stock numbers, I learned my lesson with the C-85 by not doing that first. Ha! Thanks ahead of time.

• Like 1

Ernie Schlager

• Baller

My new Denali C-95 large came yesterday and did a fin check to see if the numbers were close to the published numbers, they were way off?! Waiting to hear back to see if they preset the fin to a new setup. Raining here now but will get out for a maiden run soon.

First look over great looking ski. Design cues, full body rocker and some interesting bevel blends at the rear tail section. With a little wider cross section under the front foot.

• Like 2

Ernie Schlager

• Baller

Has to be Denali. Everyone knows how gentle and respectful those shipping guys are with packages!

As a former freight dog I have seen the extra gentle care given by those overpaid and much appreciated trunk monkeys! 😆

• Baller

@VONMAN

Did you get closure or success with the numbers for that ski? Any video as I remember you are over 6' and are a bigger guy?

I'm interested in that ski as I saw two of them at Okeeheelee this weekend.

• Baller

Note: I wouldn't be sharing this story myself as I'm not one to try to hype anything, but none of the group at trophy this weekend is on BOS from what I could gather and I know people are interested to hear whats going on behind the scenes.

I had a 200+ 6' guy at Trophy show up this weekend.  First few sets of the year skiing with Austin Abel as he ran a clinic at the site for the weekend. I never even got in the boat except to drive and ski myself.

The first 2 days the guy (late 40s?) went upside down almost every 2/4 turn and only ran a single 22 off pass out of the first 4 sets.  I could tell he was frustrated and annoyed....and bleeding (reflex shin blowout) lol.   He was riding a ski hes had for a year or so and can run 28 on in mid season.

I had a conversation with him and just offered a ride on my Large c95 I was about to ship off to Cord.   He was a strong athletic guy who knew how to pull and turn, but it just looked like the more he put into his ski, the more he was punished for it.  I got the tape measure out and showed him the nearly 3/8" additional width under the feet on the c95 compared to his 68" ski.  Also had him "flex" it in his hands to see the difference in stiffness.  Surprised was an understatement.

Austin told me that this guy ran 22 heard, then a tight line 28off tailwind pass and popped handle at 5@32off in the headwind on the first set on it. The biggest thing I heard about was how easy the deep waterstarts were and how much more space there was in front of the buoys.  All nice things to have.  Needless to say, I'm building another one this morning to get out to Cord as Im not getting the other one back.

In todays age, with boats that have 400+ HP and ZO, if you are over 200lbs and still riding a ski that has a profile shape and bevels similar to what existed in the late 90s and early 2000s....then your life on the water is harder then it needs to be.   Get a Denali and don't look back. 

Worth noting, another guy (60+ years old)_whos been on the sidelines watching Denali for several  years took one pass on a Small c95. He was 5'8 155lbs and a mid 32-35 off skier.  He was sold on the first pass.    Definitely was a good weekend and was nice to see a lot of hard work starting to pay off for people on the water!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Baller
33 minutes ago, Adam Caldwell said:

In todays age, with boats that have 400+ HP and ZO, if you are over 200lbs and still riding a ski that has a profile shape and bevels similar to what existed in the late 90s and early 2000s....then your life on the water is harder then it needs to be.   Get a Denali and don't look back. 

So, how much over 200lbs...and do you consider taller skiers to be benefited as well?

• Baller

First, I’m not named Adam. I took my first two sets on the ski today, sets 7 and 8 for the season. The ski rips, it’s that simple.  

I skied the C75 and that thing was a blast, I could get away with crap like no other ski and run passes I shouldn’t have. I still won’t sell it. The C85 was a smoother and more refined ski. I actually skied both in one set, running pass number 8 on the C85 and smoother was the appropriate description.  I posted on BoS that the C85 felt like I bought a new offside turn. It did take some binding and fin adjustment to find the best spot, but all felt good.

If I had to describe the C95, the often used term of “less work” seems most appropriate.  This feels like I kept the offside I got on the C85, improved it, and now I have picked up a much better onside. I don’t feel the need to tweak the bindings or the fin, but won’t hesitate to do so if either Adam recommends it. The space coming from an onside turn was awesome, but it also felt easier to create space from my offside lean.

On the first set, I topped what I put up on the C85 this season by a buoy. On the second set, I wasn’t even thinking about the ski, I just went and skied great. My wife commented after the fist set that she thinks I’m going to be very happy with the ski just from watching from shore. I trust her judgement.  

Some guy on the dock asked about the ski, and started to pick it up. Most of you would understand if I throat punched him, but a court of law may not. I quickly and politely put a stop to it with no need for law enforcement. The next time may be different. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

• Baller

@scoke I'm 5' 9" at 190 lbs skiing @ 32.3mph Perfect Pass Star Gazer. I will be 74 in July. The ski came with a different tune then stock and the first run on it was like the C-85, but with less effort needed from me. Offside felt better than onside (R F Forward). With the fin setting well documented I reset the fin to the stock settings, but that didn't work for me at all. Adam Caldwell and I have talked and new fin and front boot placement are going to be tried. With that said last Monday I twisted my left knee working in the garage, that and being out of town for a couple of days. So right now I'm chomping on the bit to ski on my new toy.

First impression after being on 3 Denali designs, this one will be easy for the D-3, Radar, and HO crowd to relate to and enjoy. Who wouldn't love a 65" ski that performs like a 67 or 68 inch ski. I know I wouldn't have thought it possible.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ernie Schlager

• Baller

@Scoke. I know your not looking for a reply from me necessarily, but....  A lot of guys we have killing it on our skis just are not engaged in this forum at all, or are too afraid to let anyone see them ski...lol

I have a few build slots open on the website.  Trying to "trickle" skis out in a controlled manner so we can spend time helping people get dialed without being overloaded.   I hate seeing anyone flounder.  Everyone has uniqueness to their setups, styles, etc.  

I got some video from Will Bruzzese (a 36mph skier) last night running what he said was "one of  - if not the best 38s I've ran" followed by a lifetime PB of 4@39.  His tournament best on USAWS is 3@38.    7 buoys beyond a tournament best at those line lengths is significant IMO.  Lets just say the smile on his face could easily be seen on the video at the end of every pass.  - To me, thats what matters most!

We did pull the fin back and a little deeper then stock after his first couple sets where he was overturning 1 ball at 38 (hes a righty).  He has had the ski for less then a week.

Don't quote me, but I think Will is probably  6'1 - 180lbs on a Medium at 36mph.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Baller

Found the fin settings for C-95 large 32.3mph skiers on the first tune. At this point all I can say is WOW! Will follow up with a write up soon. Sorry going skiing now. Thanks to the Adam's great design!

• Like 1

Ernie Schlager

• Baller
19 hours ago, jayski said:

Have a medium for sale, $2000 shipping included in lower 48

That’s a smokin deal and amazing since the skis have been only produced for a few weeks it seems. 

what is wrong with the ski or why didn’t you return it and get your money back?

• Baller

@WriteStuff You really describe what I've been feeling skiing the C-95 spot on. My first to sets on it had me scratching my head. So having been a Denali skier since 2018, all four designs I understand how they ski. After comparing the fin numbers of my C-75, C-85 and boot placement I came up with numbers that would be a good base. Boy was I wrong, they weren't just good they are great! Keep in mind these are numbers that work for me.

Length (tips)              Depth (head)         Tail  (head)           Wing (flat)          Front boot           

6.848                            2.454                     .836                       7                         29.0

The length and tail numbers came from my C-85. The depth can from C-75. The front boot came from both the C-75 and C-85. Oh and the fin was replaced with a right foot forward CG fin. I have tested the CG fin on about 5 different competitor and it always improves the ski. So why didn't it come with it?

Moving on, the ski is less work, symmetrical quick turns that seem not to require much input from the skier. (auto turn much like the C-75 but user friendly). The width it gets is crazy, but the ski seems to slow it down so the line stays nice and controlled tight. The last four days the wind down in Florida has been 10+. Head, tail and cross wind doesn't seems to bother it.

The big thing I noticed is once you get use to ski it takes the work load off you. Yesterday I tried being aggressive, dropping the hip hard and snapping the handle back early. All that can happen but the extra work load takes it's toll. You are just a passenger with this ski, so enjoy all that it has to offer.

Right now the only changes I'm thinking about trying is moving the the front boot to 29.25".

• Like 1

Ernie Schlager

• Baller

I am really liking my c95 after about 20 sets. Coming from a c75 it seems to ride deeper but is just as fast and the turns are even better. It feels like it rides deep and carries speed through the turn. Even if you are not centered on the ski it still just turns and goes. 

Started with the factory settings and liked it ok but then went to the alternate  settings and they were much better.  Then went forward with my bindings and the ski was faster and still turned just as good. Currently at  2.48, 6.9, .9, 7 degrees, 29.25 with Wiley’s double high wraps skiing at 34 mph 28 into 38 off.

Also got a 24 Vapor and like it and want to try some more settings but I don’t think I can get it better than the Denali. 

• Like 1

• Baller

@VONMAN

great to hear and that’s a lot of words. 

Since no video, for context:

what speed/line length are you running? Cutting the rope? 
what boat and single puck or dual puck?

thanks. 

• Baller

To quickly highlight the versatility of these skis and potential range of fin setups....The comparison between my Feb scores at Stillwater and this past weekend is interesting.

The February tournament at Stillwater I was riding a size Small c95playing with some "different" fin settings trying to play around with how the ski was rotating and moving back under the line for me at 41 on offside (2ball).  Fin setup was a stock 5 hole fin (and this is no typo) at 2.350, 6.800 at .850 with a 28.75 Front boot and a 7 deg wing. 

This tournament I went a very different direction, spreading the boots and fin apart and adding area.  I was on a stock Medium c95 with 5hole fin at .700 6.90 2.50 7deg and a 29.25 boot.  It was a little more "stuck" overall, but did some nice things when the rope was short. 

Austin Abel was running his stock Large this weekend with the CG fin at 2.450, 6.800, .750 and 7wing and boot near 28.75 (boot back to accommodate his size 15 foot)

Again, these fin setups arent necessarily IDEAL for the masses, but to me is fairly profound in terms of versatility with the fin settings on the c95 platform.  The majority of guys who are my guinea-pigs are making 50/1000s or more fin movements without an issue when playing around.   The 1-2/1000s movements are a thing of the past on this ski.  The "Box" seems to be between 2.450-2.52, 6.80 and 6.920, and .750 to .900DFT and boots between 28 7/8 and 29.5.  

I'm doing my best to understand whos liking what with different bindings/boats/styles etc to help people get up and running PBs as fast as possible. 

• Like 5

• Baller

@Adam Caldwell 

This is really interesting and amazing you can get similar results with drastically different numbers. You guys seem to have figured something out as all I’m hearing and reading is positive on the C95.

Just curious are your length measurements using tips or jaws?

NEVERMIND.  I looked on your website and found the answer

• Like 1

@VONMAN my settings are similar to yours except my boot is at 28 3/4. I run Powershells but switching to reflex soon. Moving the boot back a bit really helped me, which was surprising. Definitely try different set ups with boot placements. I had the CG fin on my C85 and loved it.

Once I settle into the Reflex, I'm going to try the CG on the 95. But honestly, the ski is performing so well I'm loathe to change much. Nearly ran 32-off today for the first time in 4 years. Gonna run it this weekend!

@ghutch The CG fin (in my experience) evens out your heel and toe turns to make them much more symmetrical. You'll get more angle off side without sacrificing anything onside. It made my C85 (which I think had too narrow a sweet spot for a 28-off skier) perform much better. The 95 is at a different level, IMO.  Hard to explain until you try it.

• Like 1

• Baller

@scoke Sorry no video at this time and in the tuning phase still only free skiing. My ski routine has been 32, 35, and 38off 32.3 mph behind 3 different boats. My 1992 Bare Foot Warrior with Perfect Pass Star Gazer, a 1999 Malibu Response and a 1992 Malibu Euro. The ski feels just as good behind all three. Changes made so far has been moving the front boot forward from 29" to 29.25", better. Then moved to 29.50 and could feel the forebody engaging on my offside turn. So at that point why not try dropping my hip a little more. That made the ski turn quick! C-75 quick. Maybe a little to quick for my body at this age. So I added some more tip to the length, new number to try 6.860 tips. My knees are not what they once were, so hopefully the next time I go out skiing all will be better. Will post more as it goes. When I finally settle on my tuning numbers I will post video.

• Like 2

Ernie Schlager

• Baller

Yep, just ran out of graphics.  Definitely a hoax.  Hopefully the print shop can get some new ones to me soon.

I'm getting wind that the Small c95 with the fin at 2.40, 6.80, .800 7 wing at 29" is incredible 26-32mph for the 100-130lb range.

• Baller
23 hours ago, VONMAN said:

@scoke Sorry no video at this time and in the tuning phase still only free skiing. My ski routine has been 32, 35, and 38off 32.3 mph behind 3 different boats. 

Since your free-skiing and not behind zero off, wouldn't something like a Senate Pro Carbon type of ski be much easier to ride and more forgiving? And much cheaper?

I'm looking to order one of these in Large or another brand for my weird height and weight. Just struggling to get video of anyone actually running real buoys besides from the manufacturer. Just lots of words and promises. 

• Like 1