Handle wear.

Wish

• Baller

I’m fairly sure many will know the brand by the color. Mine is likely to start doing this within the next year. You could send it back to the company or get a new handle from a competitor. I’m not too happy about it considering the cost. It didn’t last as long as others I’ve seen at this price.

• Baller_

Not Kevlar gloves and not sure. I don’t keep track. Ski 2-3x a week. It’s maybe a year and some change old. I’ve warn a handle down before and back in the day when handles were reasonably priced I’ve had them peal. It’s bean a loooong time since I’ve seen one peal. 

• Baller_

@dave2ballits not about happy or unhappy. It’s about maybe helping the guy that can’t afford a $120+ handle find a way to make that handle last a bit longer with a potential fix or temporary repair. Skiers on a budget. So thank you @S1Pitts for your suggestion. Will give it a shot. Any other helpful suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. Go buy a new one or don’t buy again just isn’t what this thread is about. 

• Like 1

• Baller

I think that the concept is the same as with track tires on a sports car. The rubber is soft so they will have improved grip. They wear fast. On the family cruisers one might chose a harder, less grippy tire for longer tire wear (milage). The same applies to ski handles IMO. I like my handle best when I have worn what look like finger grips in the bar. I will generally keep a handle for two years paying more attention to the line from the handle to the main rope. Just a thought and different than the problem that started this post. Grip it and rip it. 

• Baller

Everyone is so touchy when it comes to a product wearing down fast or failing quickly.  I am fairly sure that I have the same handle as @Wish and it cost a lot more than $100. I use Amara gloves and mainly ski at 15 off 2-3 times per week. Mine is still okay after a year but the rubber has little tags from where it has started to separate just the smallest bit. All others in my ski group use the big name (I dare not say brands) that is the same price as mine and they ski as much or more than I do from 28 to 38 off. Those handles last multiple years with Kevlar gloves. I'm going to keep a close eye on mine and get a different brand once it gets to the point where @Wish is.

One thing I know from experience is don't mess with handle grip. I tried to push it on one a few years ago and injured my wrist from a loss of grip that I overlooked. That took 4 months, a brace, and lots of PT to recover from.

• Baller
2 minutes ago, dave2ball said:

@vtmecheng your correct about the question but it boils down to a cheaper handle has softer rubber quality may not be wear and will wear quicker and therefore cost more in the long run.    
your post says a lot.   

My handle, which I believe is the same as the one @Wish posted, cost me $200. That isn't a cheaper handle so I don't understand what you are getting at.

• Baller_

From the picture there is a small nick above the area in question, I would not be surprised if the actual tear started from a tiny nick in the handle and that is exactly where your hand grips the handle.  Handles live an abusive life.  The Aqua seal suggestion is a good one, not sure if some sort of handle wrap (aka golf club) could even withstand the grip / twist abuse we dole out on a ski handle.

Personally, I have relegated myself to go with a $50-$60 handle and only expect to see less than a year out of it, I do ski a lot which translates to a life span of 200 sets to see the rubber worn off in the high grip areas.  The other bummer for me, I use a radius handle so the flip thing won't work.  It is that balance of rubber durometer to durability to end up with a handle with good grip, feel and long life.

I keep looking for a way to simply find / buy / recoat an aluminum handle or bar to salvage more life out of the handles.  Would love to see ski handles on an episode of "How they do it"

• Baller_

@DW ya, mine is not flippable as well. I’ll have to look closer to see if it’s a nick or photo anomaly. 
@mike_mappletop layer only. If it was down to the metal, to me it’s trash and not to be used do to safety, so I’m glad it’s just top layer(s). I’ll look into that glue as well @jpwhit Your right. I may try a call. Worst that can say is no. @dave2ballNot a cheaper handle by any stretch of the imagination. With it being a radius plus the added protective sleeves and such, it’s the top of the top of the line. @buoyboy1 I’ll look into that. Thanks 

any thoughts to sanding it down so it’s more like a worn area? 

• Baller

Assuming it is the same brand as mine. I had a handle from them for 5-6 years with no 'peeling' wear like that. Only hand pressure wear. 

I got a new handle (same manufacture as the previous one) 2 years ago and by the end of the first year it had several nicks and peels like you have pictured. I have still been using it and it doesn't seem to be getting worse. 

I can say that when it comes time to re-string this handle I will be moving to another manufacture. I cannot justify the cost for them anymore. 

• Like 1

• Baller

I’ve tried Shoe Goo on handles. Cleaned first with carb cleaner. It lasts about a week and then peels off. I would try instead trimming off any kind of flap or excess material from slit, and just use it.

alternately, wrap with black electrical tape, skip gloves and apply sunscreen to hands before each set. Handle will last forever. 

• Haha 2

• Administrators

I do not have the interest to read all of the back and forth in this thread but you guys seem getting grumpy with each other. If it continues I'll just put a couple of you on time out for a week. Please please please don't make me be an real administrator....

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 3

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can