World Championships Scores and Observations

Cooper_Trelawney

• Baller

Men's Tricks had thrills and spills.

Joel Poland had an uncharacteristic fall that put him out of the finals.  I think the favorite for overall now will be the Frenchman, Louis Dupree-Freiburg (sp?) with Llewellyn and Kolman giving chase, maybe Poland will slalom and jump huge but idk if it'll be enough...

Looking forward to some awesome slaloming tomorrow!

• Baller
On 10/11/2023 at 3:41 PM, Cooper_Trelawney said:

How about the 18 yr old Italian skier, Vicenzo Marino!  Yesterday he pb'd in slalom with 2 @ 41 off (and is currently in the lead).  Today, he pb'd in jump by clearing 60 meters (60.1) (and is currently 2nd place).  This guy has skied his tail off!

That was a 5.6m (18ft) PB in jump - incredible!!

• Like 1

• Baller_

Obviously, Jack Travers is an absolute legend in the world of water skiing, with an almost incalculable impact on the success of waterskiing... but a live sports announcer, he is not lol. He only ever says something when Tony specifically prompts, "right, Jack?" and then he says a couple words and goes silent again.😄

• Haha 2

• Baller_

If they want to solve the glare problem (both morning and late afternoon), just add 3 days to the event and schedule Slalom only from 10:00AM to 3:30PM each day.

I didn't think Will's -41 was into the glare.

The late skiers absolutely had to work harder, due to the glare.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

We often ski glare on our lake. It’s east west, and we ski early before work. Absolutely terrible sometimes. Especially this time of year when the sun is lined up to the course. You can’t see the turn buoy until it’s right there sometimes. You pull long sometimes, or run over it, or turn before it, etc. Even the gates are hard to see sometimes. Glasses don’t work well, since water drops get on them  But it’s not a tournament, so all good.

• Like 1

• Baller

No big surprise on the men's and women's trick champions.  Did anyone see anything particularly interesting, innovative tricks, etc?  I thought that the end of Louis' handle pass was cool.  He went straight from a ski line O and bounced into a wake O.  It was like a video game..so fast!  Patrice Martin was commentating and said that was something he innovated recently.   Must be cool for all those French trick skiers to get coached by Patrice.

Jump and slalom finals coming up!

• Like 1

• Baller

For how much shit the new Nautique got when it came out, it seems to be doing just fine pulling big scores in this event! I definitely ripped on the looks of these for years but the solid color boats look pretty good at Worlds, I must say. 

• Baller_

@jhughes, all of the boats are great at 28 off and shorter, especially 32 off and shorter.  I don't think that is where the criticism originated from.  And, I don't think anyone doubts the superiority of the 6.2 engine in that boat or the others.  It's calibrated perfectly, although I had heard it was not exactly right in the Ski Nautique when first appeared in 2018 (they apparently sorted it out before Nationals that year).  Top scores for top skiers wasn't the issue, if I recall correctly, unless it was mentioned during the boats first few months before it was fully dialed in.

• Like 1
  • DIslike 1

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
1 hour ago, MISkier said:

Top scores for top skiers wasn't the issue, if I recall correctly, unless it was mentioned during the boats first few months before it was fully dialed in.

I am convinced the main bitch was they are expensive and literally broke the theory that an expensive ski boat won't sell, and which reset the pricing expectations for all the ski boat manufactures, and which fed all price-of-new-boats-is-killing-the-sport proponents.  But it's the best 3-event boat ever built, IMO.  

• Baller

I thought the slalom finals were really fun to watch.  I'm happy for both winners.  I think it was fun to watch the field adapt to challenging conditions and the tournament was really about who handled it best.  Considering that both Freddie and Jamie weren't top seeds, we got to watch subsequent skiers chase their scores.  It made for really good viewing!

• Like 4

• Baller

As a recreational skier watching, the adverse conditions provided a much more exciting experience than the sterile conditions at most tournaments. I don’t care about high scores, I like the upsets and the chasing from behind. Great final day!! Best all year. 

• Like 5