Fluid Motion EVO Boot

MickeyThompson

• Baller

I was previously on an EVO, however, several years ago I changed to a more traditional hard-shell for two reasons:

Modern boots are just better. If you really want a very similar boot IMO the Radar boots are essentially the same as the EVO.

And the big reason - over time the plastic on the boots would degrade and "rot" from the bottom (I couldn't see it).  At least twice I was skiing and my boot suddenly came apart - a horrible feeling that I don't want to ever experience.

• Baller
4 hours ago, OKSkier said:

Stick to Reflex - there's a reason why Reflex is one of the most popular bindings out there.

Not sure if Fluid Motion is even around anymore

Very much around but probably not building as many boots as in the past.  Have seen a number of old quattro systems in regular use for over a decade, still.

• Like 1

• Baller

Yeah, for sure still making them. That Evo is nothing but the skate shell with the cuff hole cut to make a “C” so the cuff releases from the bottom “base” and your foot comes out. The “C” starts to wear, as you would expect from soft plastic and releases start happening when they shouldn’t. Just not a design that can be expected to have any longevity. Not to mention, as @lakeaustinskiersaid, the boot they use “rots” and becomes brittle without much visible indication. I’ve had a front boot basically EXPLODE on me as I hit the first wake. Dead serious, I think it gave me a concussion. One of the worst falls in my life.

Reflex, Edge/Syndicate, Goode with the Reflex release, or Radar Vapor with Reflex release are all superior. 

Then you could also go the MOB route and use just about any boot you like. Well, except that Fluid Motion boot. That’s the exact setup that tried to kill me. NOT the MOB’s fault

if you want something releasable, those two systems are really your options

• Like 1

• Baller

@MickeyThompson since @BraceMaker mentioned me here, I feel like I should give you my experience. I started using FM years ago in college for tricks and loved the comfort of it. At the same time, I was looking for a solution for my front foot in slalom. I had a Radar binding for a while but I was using regular laces instead of bungee (stupid idea, don't do it). I spend a bit of time on a Reflex but, apart from how uncomfortable the shell felt, I had a few pre-releases. That was the main point of concert for me, as releasing mid-wakes at 39off on an onside pull is as scary as it gets. I went to EVO and never looked back.

A few notes if you are considering this:

• If you have an RTP in the back, EVO is a great solution. If you have a rubber binding in the back, EVO is also a good solution. If you use two hard shells, I would not suggest 2 EVO bindings, but more so the quattro.
  • Get the regular top cuff, so just one buckle, just bungee on the shell. It will be safer and since the technique trend has been (correctly) to go for a softer, multidirectional binding (i.e., rubber), plastic tied by bungee is a good compromise.
  • the C section tends to enlarge over time, however you will not pre-release! You will feel a click across the wakes on the side in which the C section has enlarged, and for as scary as it might be, you will not crash across the wakes. My rule of thumb has been to change cuff after 20 releases.
  • If you are in between sizes, go for the smaller one.
  • Heat mold your liner. The shell is extremely comfortable, but molding can make it ever more so.
  • I have heard of a couple of shells exploding, but personally it has never happened to me. The ones I saw were black, and I have almost always bought the white shell. I have never checked with PJ if it is a different plastic compound, but I am sticking to white :D. Also, I add a few extra screws on the bottom when changing shell, so maybe that helps to keep the pressure spread more evenly. I'll send a picture as soon as I get the chance.
  • Get some extra bungee. You can buy it from FM or order it elsewhere. I use a slightly thinner bungee than stock just for personal preference. In the US, I was buying 3/16 here.

I hope this helps :)

• Like 3

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

• Baller

I think the shell issue is moisture.  The FM shell is made of what I believe to be a Nylon material and the ones I've seen that have failed for lack of a better term "rotted" where water sits beneath the liner and the plastic PE sheet FM useses to cover the base of the shell.

I haven't had that issue and have a pair of quattros that I used from 2007/8 to 2015 but I bring my skis up into a garage upside down with the liners removed. The ones I've seen that failed the owners usually took the ski and put it into a case even leaving the liners in the boots.

Side note even with how I dry my liners and store my skis watching T-Gas dump water into his mouth out of his liner before his set... BARF.

• Baller
21 hours ago, MickeyThompson said:

I'm considering a front boot change. Would like to try the Fluid Motion EVO. Any Ballers using this?

If you want a LFF size 10, pm me!  I have probably 3 of them in the garage.  Switched to syndicate this season after decades on the FM.   I also have an 11…

Only issue I ever had was one shell fell apart at the connection point on the heel.   As long as you are checking your equipment regularly you’d notice long before a massive blowout.  I had extra shells and easily swapped it for a fresh one.