Rear rubber with front Reflex

cruznski

• Baller

I imagine this has been discussed. I went to Reflex (white cuff) in early 2020, and in August that year got a 67" D3 ion which I still have and still love. 

I have had an old (back lace up)) D3 leverage as the back binding since then.  I never tighten the laces. Here as the season winds down one of my ski partners had a rear Wiley (Hard core) and I put that on 2nd set yesterday, and I liked it more immediately. I feel kind of neglectful for not trying more binding set ups. I like that my toes stick out more and it just seems easier to turn the ski. 

I have seen various rear binding set ups with Reflex front but wanted to get your all's feedback on this esp if you have tried a lot of variations. At one point I tried a kicker but it felt so weird and I was not skiing that often I did not stick with it at the time it would take to get used to it. I see some very old back set ups that people seem to like (like HO animals).   

And for end of season I just went to full wet suit yesterday. We still have ski time time left here. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

@cruznski What did you like better about the Wiley?

I have a theory about what you are goin so to say - so chances are you will say the exact opposite.

• Baller

On the Wiley as soon as I got up it was easier to hop the wake  as I was going around the island and all that- it just felt like I had more ski control. Not that I am jumping the wake sort of skipping over it. 

Also on my on side I could just finish the turn harder or get a bit more around. On my offside first pass I turned in too early at 2 sort of like ooops. And I like the toes sticking out, the feel of that. 

The Leverage at this point the rubber is pretty hard, and it is a much higher wrap if you will. 

• Baller

Recently we were discussing @Cooleo15 rear setup. I’m pretty sure that was where he said that (basically) for the rear, he liked or felt it was best that the rear should not go above the ankle much. Forgive me for butchering what he said. I have heard that basic theme a bunch though. For the rear, the less restrictive the boot is above the ankle, the better (that’s the way I take it). I’ve played with different rear setups but always end up going back to the R-style. My ski partner won’t run anything but a Wiley rear. @adamhcaldwell was it you that said anything above the rear ankle tries to fight some other aspect (roll angle or something like that)?

• Like 1

• Baller

Thanks for that @aupatking I am up early as my dog got up to go out at the usual time. 

a couple years ago the old Leverage I had the wrap ripped. A ski pal had a very unused one and that's the one I have now. There was a funny day where I then cut the old one down to much lower to try that out. The thing was the loops and all were gone so I had a shoehorn to get it on. It was goofy and the crew thot it was pretty ridiculous. Anyway one set on that idea back then. 

Another question and you can see this esp with the ladies, does anyone deliberately get on their rear toes approaching the buoy? All you RTP skiers? 

• Baller_

If we start with the premise that the “ideal” rear binging is a simple RTP (see Andy, Nate), the more restrictive you go from there, the less ideal the set up is. There are a number of hybrid RTP options such as adding a Maha heel cup or even the Reflex R-Style. Taking this argument to the logical conclusion would result in the belief that the opposite of the RTP, in this case, a rear hardshell, would be the worst option. Having skied in double hardshells for over 20 years and having attempted to revert to an RTP, then RTP with a heel cup, then an R-Style, then a Wiley rear wrap and finally back to the double hardshell, I can say with certainty that while the double hardshell may be less than ideal, it is awfully hard to switch back once you are used to it. That’s not to say it’s superior; rather you come to rely on the security and it’s hard to give that up. 

• Like 1

Lpskier