Garage Storage for Skis and Gear

TSki

• Baller

I’ve been in apartments for a long time, but somewhat recently moved into a house. I’d like to put some racks on the wall of my garage for storing slalom skis, trick skis, wakeboard, snowboard, etc. and potentially some solutions for hanging life jackets, wet/dry suits, etc. For skis I’m thinking pegs that are maybe 40” apart or something like that, where the ski could be suspended upside down against the wall. Other recommendations are also welcome.

Have any of you done the same and have tips or product recommendations? Are there any sport-specific products in this regard? Or should I just be looking at what’s available from ACE Hardware or Target or somewhere generic like that?

• Baller

Just go to a hardware store and pick out storage hooks or shelf supports that you like. You can use an old ski line as a clothes line, but the vinyl coated wire clotheslines are cheap too. It’s a garage, function over form. The skis are what makes the garage look good.

• Like 1

• Baller

Best spot I've found is a shelf above the garage doors if you have a bit of clearance up there, out of the way but easy to get do and if you park a boat in the garage you can load the stuff you want right into the boat. 

• Baller

The ski rack holds 2 slalom ski's or one wake board per section. 11" between rails. Self standing so gets moved around, the side arms and base are screwed and glued. The cross ties across the back are screwed so it can be flat packed. Must have a diagonal across back for rigidity. Quite a few people have copied it at lake and we even made one for the jetty to tidy up the skis on a busy day. The hanging rail some people buy the shop ones but they always fail under weight of wet gear so I made my own out of screwed air pipe (elec conduit would be lighter) wooden feet rails, also unscrews for flat packing. Both live in caravan awning in summer and spare room in house in winter. 

Standard plastic storage box's I have about 6 with lids one in foreground organise ropes, impacts fenders etc etc into different ones

IMG_0706.jpeg

IMG_0707.jpeg

IMG_0708.jpeg

• Baller

I think most of the pics in the older thread are no longer viewable.  I made this shelf last winter.  It’s just 1/2” plywood and 2  2x2’s screwed to the wall.   Cheap, easy and I think it looks pretty ok. 

IMG_8266.jpeg

IMG_8267.jpeg

• Like 2

• Baller

custom made to fit your location and your particular gear is always going to be the best solution as @Dano demonstrates, even uses the space right at the top for a blank. Not hard to do and saves a ton of floor space using the vertical space with a rack. Nice execution @Dano

• Baller

I've got the StoreYourBoard brand racks for my skis for year-round storage. For summer storage, handles and ropes on wall pegs and jackets and wetsuits on Rubbermaid wall shelves. In the winter time, handles, ropes, jackets and wetsuits are in totes. 

• Baller

Has anyone created a vertical Ski storage rack? I have an area in the garage that has a lot of vertical space, not enough for skis to be held horizontally. Currently I am thinking the top part of the rack would be dowels with a bungee across and the bottom being a shelf that the ski sits on. Would also make the bottom shelf wide enough to have surf boards slotted in.

Has anyone seen something like this? 

Kevin

• Baller

T hangers above the garage door works great if you park the boat in the garage.  With the door shut you can load the racks above the boat right down into the boat with out getting out a ladder or anything.  For the folks that trailer their boat off the lake right into the garage you just pack the boat at the dock load the trailer into the garage right up onto the racks.

• Baller

Great idea! Unfortunately the garage ceiling is 20' high... Makes for an airy garage but limits the amount of storage I can do from the ceiling. 

For my use case, this is at a lake house, the boat stays on a lift in the water. I would store the skies and things near the dock but we had issues with people taking them in prior years. In the mornings I grab the skies or the boards and walk down to the lake. 

I am considering something like this:

https://epicsurfracks.com/collections/free-standing-vertical-surf-racks/products/layback-freestanding-wooden-surfboard-rack