Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

Fitness trackers?

Horton

• Administrators

The wife got me an Oura ring for Christmas. It is some pretty crazy cool tech but I am sending it back because it does not provide any data that changes my behavior day to day. At least not for what it costs. Do I really need to know how long it takes to fall asleep or my body temp variability and I am still not sure what "Readiness Score" means.

Any how is FitBit still the best?

• Like 1

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

I have to wear one in the summer, just a cheep garmin waterproof watch type. If I ski at dawn then ski through the day with different groups say 4-5 sessions of 2-3 sets each then do a 12 hour night shift my calorie burn gets crazy, compare that to the day after my night shifts when I sleep most of the day wake up eat and go back to bed and sleep for another 12 hours. If I don't track the calories I end up under eating and I hit two major problems I go to ski and it's just like your car running out of fuel, the second is I start loosing weight rapidly if I get below 80Kg I start burning muscle for energy and that just really ****** me up. It takes a good few days of rest and eating sensibly to sort myself out and I can't ski.

So I have a tracker on my ski boat stats for calories, the watch isn't exact but it doesn't need to be I just need to know when I might be hitting a problem and force myself to eat.

• Baller

I suppose an alternative would be one of those old fashioned things that grandad used to have and he swore were amazing and he could just not do without.........you know............Told him when to get up, when to eat, sorted out what to eat, when to have his coco and when to go to bed......ohh and what jobs to do. I think they were called wives or some such.

I tried one once but the new ones are not the same, mine mirrored @Horton experience with his Ouara what ever that is It is some pretty crazy cool tech but I am sending it back because it does not provide any data that changes my behavior day to day. At least not for what it costs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• Baller

Would be interesting to know heart rate during a pass - mine clearly fluctuates majorly depending on how bad my technique is on any given pass.  I use an apple watch but haven't bothered wearing it while skiing.

• Like 1

• Baller

@LK_skier It is going to vary a fair bit depending on the factors. obviously fitness how hard you are pushing your level etc. I am surprised how low the hart rate is, when I push it feel like when you are on the running machine and you push the speed up for 30s-1min in your main run. But hart rate is no where near that. That said I have come home not kept a record of my sets and needed them for my stats so have down loaded the watch and it is cristal clear every single ski pass using the hart rate tracker.

My take and I am absolutely no expert is ..... I am only loading just behind the boat the rest of the pass I am working but it is more of a leisurely jog, my body can adsorb that brief load with just an elevated hart rate. That is because I am on 15off I have long gaps of recovery between loads. I would expect a shortline skiier to be 1) more elevated because of the higher load and 2) the recovery time between loads is a lot shorter.  Where it gets difficult is comparing different people eg a fit shortline skiier using efficient technique compared to a long line skier who is novice or just using poor technique or not fit. 

My strategy this year is to practice just below my maximum and really work technique, then push the occasional set. I will be really interested to see how that compares. 

• Baller

@Horton What data do you need to see to “change your behavior”?

Fitbit provides a lot of different data points but may not be what you’re looking for.  My wife and I have been Fitbit users for years and have had different models.  We love all the data available but the quality of the device is at times suspect.  We have both gotten warranty replacements. They back there product week but it’s frustrating when they stop working for no apparent reason. They were recently purchased by google which may or may not be a good thing. 

Get high, Get fast, and do some good work.

• Baller

Slalom skiing is an anaerobic exercise as you aren’t maintaining an exertion for more than 20-30 seconds at a time. As a runner I developed a resting heart rate of 48 beats per minute. When sprinting at maximum pace my heart rate was 140 bpm.  Therefore in my opinion heart rate for slalom water skiing shouldn’t be a concern.

• Like 1

• Baller

I think I read or heard somewhere that Jamie Bull’s HR got to 190 by the end of a pass but I could be mistaken. It surprised me to hear seeing as she’s an all around athlete but it could be physical exertion, adrenaline, and nerves all pouring in at the same time. 

• Baller

You can determine maximum heart rate by subtracting your age from 220. I think Jaime is 23 so that would put her at maximum heart rate at 197 bpm. Hard to believe that in 16 seconds her heart rate would be that high, I could certainly be wrong. I’ve run 2 marathons and hundreds of 10k races. I never got anywhere close to 140 bpm in a long distance race.

• Baller
2 hours ago, dvskier said:

You can determine maximum heart rate by subtracting your age from 220. I think Jaime is 23 so that would put her at maximum heart rate at 197 bpm. Hard to believe that in 16 seconds her heart rate would be that high, I could certainly be wrong. I’ve run 2 marathons and hundreds of 10k races. I never got anywhere close to 140 bpm in a long distance race.

Like your comment above, when I was running a lot last year, my resting heart rate often got down into the high 30s or low 40s. I actually got a little worried but it sounds like it’s pretty common for runners. I saw 200+ momentarily a few times too but that was pushing Flowpoint conditioning, not running.  

Ditched the Garmin watch last spring because I found myself getting too caught up with calories even though they aren’t that accurate anyways, but they do provide a lot of interesting info, especially as a runner. I ran a half where all my splits were within 3 seconds of each other. Who would have known.. ha 

To get somewhat back on track to Hortons original question as to what’s best, I’ve heard Whoop is great from a number of reputable sources.  

• Baller_

Just of note in case anyone tries: You can't rely on an Apple Watch (or I assume any purely-wrist-mounted device) to accurately measure heart rate during a pass. The watches measure heart rate by using light to look at blood flow though the blood vessels in your skin, but when you're strenuously using your arm muscles, like when weightlifting or skiing, that temporarily constricts blood flow through your wrist, so the watch won't read accurately until the muscles can relax again. To get an accurate reading, you'd need to have a chest strap measuring electrical signals instead.

Edited by Slalom.Steve
  • Like 2

• Baller
On 1/23/2024 at 8:40 PM, Slalom.Steve said:

Just of note in case anyone tries: You can't rely on an Apple Watch (or I assume any purely-wrist-mounted device) to accurately measure heart rate during a pass. The watches measure heart rate by using light to look at blood flow though the blood vessels in your skin, but when you're strenuously using your arm muscles, like when weightlifting or skiing, that temporarily constricts blood flow through your wrist, so the watch won't read accurately until the muscles can relax again. To get an accurate reading, you'd need to have a heart strap measuring electrical signals instead.

Agree, I wore my apple watch playing hockey the other day to see what it would read after an hour on the ice. It recorded almost no activity, I think it was 65 calories burned and just a couple minutes of elevated heart rate.

• Baller
On 1/23/2024 at 1:30 PM, dvskier said:

Everyone is different. The max heart rate 220 minus formulae and it's variants work for most people i.e. near the middle of the bell curve, but can be incorrect by 10, 20 or even 30bpm for some people. Both high or low error.

I've done a lot of endurance stuff and when in my mid 40s my resting HR was low 40s.  Not super athlete but pretty fit, finishing in top 20% in most events. Formula suggested my max would be approx 175 but I would occassionaly reach 212 and regularly saw >205. In one particular 2hr MTB race my average was 184. Around then I had an ECG for a work medical check and all good, no issues. When I was telling doctor about my health and fitness he told me I had a 'revy' (sp? revvy? revvie?) heart and be careful, to ease off if I felt unwell, weak or dizzy, but don't stop what I was doing as I obviously tolerated it well and that just how my heart was. During 12hr lap MTB races I would set watch or bike computer beep if HR got above 155. When it did I knew to back off and I'd target HR dropping to below 150 within the next couple of minutes. Average over the 12hrs would be mid to high 140s. For adventure races involving MTB, kayak, trek etc over 1 to 7days duration my average would usually be in range 100-120bpm.

• Baller

Is it really that important to track your every move? I have an Apple Watch and like it a lot but can I live without it? Yes! I once knew someone who would flip out if they forgot their tracking device, what difference is it really going to make? You know if your active or not and what you have or have not burned so to say. I could comment more , but I’ll keep it clean for @Horton. Not knocking anyone who loves to keep track , just not that important to me. 

• Like 4

• Baller
1 hour ago, Shell said:

Is it really that important to tack your every move? I have an Apple Watch and like it a lot but can I live without it? Yes! I once knew someone who would flip out if they forgot their tracking device, what difference is it really going to make? You know if your active or not and what you have or have not burned so to say. I could comment more , but I’ll keep it clean for @Horton. Not knocking anyone who loves to keep track , just not that important to me. 

Its motivating to collect the metrics on what you've done and how you'd like to improve. Not ashamed to say its fairly important to me so I can manage personal goals day in day out.

• Like 2

• Baller
11 hours ago, Shell said:

Is it really that important to track your every move? I have an Apple Watch and like it a lot but can I live without it? Yes! I once knew someone who would flip out if they forgot their tracking device, what difference is it really going to make? You know if your active or not and what you have or have not burned so to say. I could comment more , but I’ll keep it clean for @Horton. Not knocking anyone who loves to keep track , just not that important to me. 

Similar. I tracked everything for about 3yrs but by then I'd learnt my body, it's needs, it's recovery, etc for a variety of sports and movements so I then dropped all gadgets. Felt so much better simply training and racing by feel. I kept simple $10 bike computer to help with navigation but that was it. 

• Like 3

• Baller

I agree that having some data points can be beneficial, but are any of these devices the gold standard? I occasionally wear a heart rate monitor with a chest strap, and feel that is pretty accurate. But aren't a lot of these other wearables basically trying for precision in your imprecision? 

• Baller_

My metric - how many of those little orange buoys:-) 

I will admit, I do track a lot of stuff and it might be more productive to track some additional body functions but simply tracking without a target, goal or improved result may just become additional white noise in the big picture.  We have all these cool tracking gadgets yet the obesity rate and lifespans are going the wrong way.

• Heterodox 1

• Baller
38 minutes ago, DW said:

My metric - how many of those little orange buoys:-) 

I will admit, I do track a lot of stuff and it might be more productive to track some additional body functions but simply tracking without a target, goal or improved result may just become additional white noise in the big picture.  We have all these cool tracking gadgets yet the obesity rate and lifespans are going the wrong way.

Totally agree @DW. I track lot's of stuff but unless you use the data correctly in the right way it is as you say just white noise or pointless. I would also add getting verifiable meaningful data is critical. You cross referenced my stats a few months ago and proved them wrong. I had used the wrong data stream lake hours booked instead of engine hours.........in stats details matter. Then as you rightly say target/goals are critical so you use the data in the right way to create accurate understanding for meaningful change.

• Baller

MyZone is the best workout monitor. $149 one time charge, you get the App and the chest heart monitor (MZ-3). I use this for Mountain Biking, Spinning and running. They make a MZ Switch that is waterproof that I use for skiing. This is only used during the activity. Super accurate. The app is linked to your phone or tablet. IOS or Android. You can monitor it real time. Heart rate, calories, percentage. You have to be an extremely devoted and driven person. MyZone tracks your progress and if you don’t meet your MEPs ( MyZone Effort Points ) for the month you drop back a status. I’ve been consistent going on 7 years. You will also find MyZone being used in some gyms where your MyZone performance tile is on the monitors in the spin room where you can see everyone’s progress and complete against others. 
For every day 24 / 7 tracking I use a Garmin MK2i watch. It is actually a watch/dive computer. Best fitness watch made but it comes at a steep price $2500.00

• Like 1

• Baller_
On 1/30/2024 at 12:14 PM, Shell said:

im that guy that flips if I leave the house without mine, it isnt for fitness tracking as much, I do use it to track the time frame on my fitness / heartrate sometimes, but I got so used to wearing it, even if i walk out to the mailbox, I put it on, only to take it off when I walk right back inside..My wrist feels naked without it. I lost my first Ultra to a slap shot that hit my glove and shattered it..I dont play with it on anymore lol

• Like 1

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾

• Baller

@mike_mapple I hear ya on feeling naked and totally agree, but not naked without my Apple Watch, morso my 7 other watches that are much more classy than an Apple Watch. I did try my Apple Watch one time playing hockey and it just didn’t feel right. 

• Baller_
7 minutes ago, Shell said:

@mike_mapple I hear ya on feeling naked and totally agree, but not naked without my Apple Watch, morso my 7 other watches that are much more classy than an Apple Watch. I did try my Apple Watch one time playing hockey and it just didn’t feel right. 

I have plenty of other watches, but I refuse to wear some of the ones that were left to me, they are worth to much that if it got stolen I couldnt afford to replace them. I like my apple watch for being able to leave my phone anywhere and then I just use my watch. If Im going out for dinner somewhere nice, I have a few good choices beside an apple watch lol

• Like 1

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾

• Baller

Garmin.  They even have a waterski mode, it’s recreational, but it’s something.  Sleep is very important, and a basis for the “readiness”, which is a major part of a Whoop as well. (Exertion and rest)