Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

Moomba Finals Sunday March 10 ( North America )

• Administrators

@NZskier from 2016 until 2021 Carroll was number 1 on the standings list and most of those years she was on top by 2 or 3 meters. That is not close.  If you are saying that skiers 2-5 are also impressive I would agree but none of them was giving Jacinta much stress. 

http://www.iwsf.com/wrl_1020/index.htm

If it was Ryan Dodd that had retired this week would you have commented that “during a lot of his winning streak, the men’s jump field was a little thin” on the basis that he was consistently 2-3 meters ahead of the rest of the field on the world ranking list from 2016-2021?

I highly doubt it.

• Baller

When Iron Mike was mowing down chump after chump in 3 seconds flat he was still the baddest man on the planet.  Jacinta mowed everyone down for over a decade.  You can't ask for anything more.  

• Like 1

First post on here but I feel it is necessary, @Horton I don't know if you were trying insult Jacinta or the whole womens jump field for the last 10+ years, but reading the comments I assume you are typical Slalom skier that hasn't got the courage to hit the ramp or the facts and statistics in front of you, and that's ok...but sitting behind the keyboard hammering others at no benefit to yourself or any readers just to generate interest on a forum has no purpose, I feel sorry for your insignificant contribution towards anything meaningful. I don't give my sister any pump ups or pats on the back but you are insulting her achievements and other female skiers.Unless you have rocks in your head she is currently the best female jumper in history and one day she may be surpassed but that won't degrade her achievements or they way she has paved the way for other young girls to aspire too, Wake upto yourself.

• DIslike 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Can someone explain how this is insulting?

On 3/12/2024 at 10:56 AM, Horton said:

This might not be a popular thing to say, but during a lot of her winning streak, the field was a little thin. Maybe another way to think about it was she was so far ahead of the rest of the field that it looked thin. Anyway you slice it she is certainly the GOAT of women's jump 

@matt carroll I award you the prestigious triple panda 

tumblr_inline_mg6n5ltl6X1rxe4lt540.gif

I say 

• Like 1

• Baller
7 hours ago, matt carroll said:

First post on here but I feel it is necessary, @Horton I don't know if you were trying insult Jacinta or the whole womens jump field for the last 10+ years, but reading the comments I assume you are typical Slalom skier that hasn't got the courage to hit the ramp or the facts and statistics in front of you, and that's ok...but sitting behind the keyboard hammering others at no benefit to yourself or any readers just to generate interest on a forum has no purpose, I feel sorry for your insignificant contribution towards anything meaningful. I don't give my sister any pump ups or pats on the back but you are insulting her achievements and other female skiers.Unless you have rocks in your head she is currently the best female jumper in history and one day she may be surpassed but that won't degrade her achievements or they way she has paved the way for other young girls to aspire too, Wake upto yourself.

Matt, welcome to the site.  I'm pretty sure Horton has hit the ramp back in the day. ☺️  I think we all have nothing but admiration for your sisters accomplishments!  Horton in saying GOAT - that is an Americanized acronym for "Greatest Of All Time!"   If anything he was saying she was in a league of her own and one of the top women in water sports.   Cheers

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 10:56 AM, Horton said:

@Cooper_Trelawney

This might not be a popular thing to say, but during a lot of her winning streak, the field was a little thin. Maybe another way to think about it was she was so far ahead of the rest of the field that it looked thin. Anyway you slice it she is certainly the GOAT of women's jump 

Happy to explain @Horton

It’s the part you purposely didn’t bold above. By calling the women’s jump field thin you are both diminishing Jacinta’s achievements and, even more insulting, you are disparaging a huge group of female athletes who were by any objective measure among the best of all time.

Yes, you backtracked your own statement in the following sentence, but why make the baseless and insulting claim in the first place?

• Like 1
  • DIslike 1

• Administrators

@NZskier Well now I know you read the forum.

My point is that across the 10 or so years of Jacinta's career, she was ridiculously dominant. Much of the time she appeared to be in a class of her own. Below is the IWWF rankings list distance between Jacinta and the #2 women's jumper in the world. ( data mostly taken from the October lists )

Meters Feet
2022 4.7 15.42
2021 5.4 17.72
2020 3.95 12.96
2019 4.4 14.44
2018 5 16.40
2017 2.15 7.05
2016 2.2 7.22
2015 2.85 9.35
2014 1.65 5.41
2013 1.65 5.41

On the other hand yes the 2nd and 3rd place skiers on these jump lists are among the best jump and overall skiers of all time. The careers of Regina and Natallia speak for themselves. 

If you want to say my use of the phrase "the field was a little thin" was an impercise use of the English language I will concede but holy hell I feel like I am in the old Monty Python skit about an argument clinic.

• Haha 1

According to Return to Baseline there have been less women jump 55 meters (180 feet) than men jump 70 meters (230 feet). So it seems fair to assume jumping 55m as a woman is a roughly equivalent, or perhaps an even more impressive, feat than a man jumping 70m. Jacinta had to compete against almost every single woman in this club, barring only Sheers and Milakova. For comparison, I would guess almost a 1/3 of male 70m jumpers had retired by the time her winning streak started.

I would suggest that a more precise use of the English language would be “during a lot of her winning streak, the field was at the highest level it has ever been.” Maybe that’s what you really meant to say?

• Baller

If Jacinta Carrol or her surrogates are reading, I would like her to know I had my boy listen to that two hour podcast more than once last year for the express purpose of hearing what it takes to be the best on the planet at your sport.   She's one of the all time great female athletes in any sport, IMO, even if the masses are not aware of waterski jumping generally.  So, big time tip-o-the-hat to Jacinta Carrol.

• Like 2

I apologise if I’m coming across overly aggressive, in your defense 99% of what you’ve said in this thread has been glowingly positive about Jacinta. But I hope you can see how that one sentence can be interpreted as insulting, ignorant, or worse.

It annoyed me enough to make my first ever post. Same with Jacinta’s brother.

Hope to see you and Reagan out on the water soon! We’ll make a jumper out of her yet!

• Like 1