Ski selection: transition from A2

• Baller

My son has been riding an old 2013 A2 for the last few seasons and running through 36mph at -15.  He’s about 5-10 and 155 lbs.  Looking for next level ski to work on shortening the line.  What would be a natural transition from the A2?  

Omega?  Omega Max?  Vapor?

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

• Baller

After being out of skiing for 20 years, I was back on the water last summer on a Syndicate A-1.  After I got my form back (somewhat) I figured I needed to upgrade my stick, but didn't want to drop 2k plus another several hundred for bindings not knowing if I'd take off another 20 years.  I settled on a Connelly DV8.  It was their top end comp ski the last 3 years until they came out with the C-1 last fall.  (I've been told the C-1 is basically just a slightly wider DV8).   needless to say, it was a HUGE upgrade and I didn't break the bank.  I was able to get the ski and put a T-Factor binding on the front for under 1k.   If you want to go ahead and get the latest model, the Works 02, Vapor Pro Build or C-1 would be where I would steer you.   Ski it again and Discount Wake have DV8s for sale at around $600. 

"You miss 100%  of the shots you don't take. - Wayne Gretzky" - 5_Ball_Jeff

• Baller

I’m not super familiar with A2 vs A3, but last summer a friend who was riding an A3 for 10 years switched to a Works 02 and said he felt right at home but everything was better and easier. Finished his next hard pass a couple weeks later. 

I love my 24 Vapor but my short demo on the Works 02 still impressed me. It made a surprising amount of space into the buoy. 

• Like 1

• Baller

@als2104 - A2 was a great ski. Two of my daughters still ride them. As to a recommendation - lots of suggestions shown already, but the reality is that each of the skis are quite different.  At this stage I'd first tell you to shop used vs new to keep costs down.  Don't buy new when you're not sure what you even want yet. I went from long time HO rider to Connelly in 2019 with the GTR, and now on a DV8. Completely different. You'll find the same with Radar, D3, Denali, etc. If staying HO the Works 01 and 02 get a lot of support.  If moving to a new brand, just try them out.  Connelly rides very deep vs HO . Some love it some don't. You don't need a C1 to get a feel for Connelly. Get a 19 or 20 GTR for little money. The shopping part and trying is half the fun .    

• Baller

Thanks all.  Think it’ll be between works 02 and the new vapor.  I’m riding a 2019 Vapor which has served me well but might be time to hand-me-down the 2019 to the boy and get me a new ski!

• Baller

@HortonThey are very nicely made as well as high end of finish as any of the other top skis.  I think the Mustang would sell well here too.

Mostly I was being a bit tongue and cheek about the HO april first but seriously that wouldn't be a bad ski for his kid.

• Like 1

• Baller
On 4/1/2024 at 2:24 PM, als2104 said:

My son has been riding an old 2013 A2 for the last few seasons and running through 36mph at -15.  He’s about 5-10 and 155 lbs.  Looking for next level ski to work on shortening the line.  What would be a natural transition from the A2?  

Omega?  Omega Max?  Vapor?

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Medium Works 02 (66") should be a lights-out winner for him. I've been on every Syndicate ski since the A1 and can easily say the Works 02 has been the easiest to jump on and ski to my hardest passes in the first couple sets. Obviously every skier feels different things, but if he's been comfortable on the A2, the W02 should get him moving up the rope before too long!

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations