Tommy’s Boats lands in receivership as legal battles add up

Horton

• Baller_

Its only going to get worse for many boat manufacturers. Credit cards nation wide are maxed out and interest rates are still very high for people to take 10 year loans on boats.  You will be seeing some super deals on pontoons and runabouts by mid summer. 

• Like 3

• Baller
56 minutes ago, The_MS said:

Its only going to get worse for many boat manufacturers. Credit cards nation wide are maxed out and interest rates are still very high for people to take 10 year loans on boats.  You will be seeing some super deals on pontoons and runabouts by mid summer. 

Unfortunately I think boats are going to be the least of our country's collective worry in a while here. 

Screen Shot 2024-05-02 at 10.02.15 AM.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Baller
10 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

The MC earnings call next week will be highly suggestive of whether this is a MBUU problem or an industry problem.

Last qtr:

24cae00b-634c-45fc-ae5c-4621e7d08cc1

• Baller
2 hours ago, Mastercrafter said:

Unfortunately I think boats are going to be the least of our country's collective worry in a while here. 

Screen Shot 2024-05-02 at 10.02.15 AM.png

Well the value of our money has been roughly cut in half over the last five years.  Taking that into consideration, this is trending mostly with inflation.

The problem with many recreational vehicles like boats, is they have completely abandoned any approach to affordability and created product lines all about high cost, high profit products.  For a significant chunk of their customer base, most of their products were only affordable via low interest rates.  This was great when it was cheap to borrow money.  Now that interest rates have gone up, a significant part of their customer based either can't afford their products because the total cost is too high, or they are simply choosing not to buy because they would lose the low rate they have on their current boat.  

The damage is happening across all markets for all "discretionary" high cost toys.  The UTV market is a flooded with inventory.  You can't give campers away.  Harley-Davidson business is way down.  

Generally speaking, the market for used boats under $40k hasn't been impacted in the same way as boats over $40k.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Baller

@stevezie I am trying to buy a camper and the person selling it was asking more than JD Power said it was worth...she thinks she will get more money for it as the season starts...guess we will see.

• Baller_

Sadly although one could expect it, Malibu owners are starting to report various locations being locked or closed.  The habit of borrowing and borrowing cheap money for toys doesn’t always end well.

• Like 2

• Baller

I will check out the Tommy's here in Clermont, FL.  They sold a ton of boats here, but lately, their lot is FULL of unsold boats.

• Baller

Just saw this....

East Coast Flightcraft
is proud to bring you an exclusive oppurtunity
to get into a new Malibu or Axis Boat
while getting the largest discounts of all time!

We have approximatley 50 inbound boats
that have been aquired from other dealers
across the country so that we may offer them
to you at historically discounted prices.

If you have ever been on the fence about getting into a new Malibu or Axis boat,
Now is the time!

Financing is available for qualified buyers
and transport can be arranged

Get yours before they're GONE!

• Administrators

@rockdog I thought "Flightcraft" was specifically an Australian boat thing. I looked it up and this is about the US market.

Anyhow => So crazy.