Bent handles for Skiers Elbow?

Horton

• Administrators

My left elbow has been acting up all year. My physical therapist tries to get me to stretch and exercise….  It is as if he does not know what a sloth I am.  So I tried a Radar 13” Bent handle  last night. I am not sure but think it fixed me.

The one thing I did not like was going from a 12” to a 13”. The 13 seems to twist more when I have only one hand on the handle. Hard to explain.... At gates right hand on handle and left hand is free…. Left side of handle is leaning to the boat by at least an inch.  Well that is the way it feels. Could be that I am just crazy.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

I use the same handle. I used to wear a epicondylar strap when I had a straight handle. Once I moved to the Radius (bent handle) I kept wearing it. One day I lost it in a fall and figured I'd replace it in a couple of weeks when the lady who makes them was available. After a few sets, I realized my elbow no longer hurt. That was more than 4 years ago, so for me at least, the radius handle works well.

There are radius handles available in 12" versions...

• Baller

John,

Does the Radar bent handle have the same rubber compound as their RS-1 handle? I have been using the RS-1 and love it, but as you know I am having the same trouble with medial epicondylitis.

I am also not crazy about the 13" length. If anybody has any recommendations for a 12" let us know.

sj

Pain comes and pain goes.

If you guys think there is a differance between bent and nonbent when you are cranking the handle at 38off,(or any line) you are nuts. The incline is so small, there is no way your hands know(or can feel) the handle has a bend in it     

• Baller

MS

Biomechanically you are incorrect. It has to do with the resting position of the hand. I will explain the next time I see you. 

I can see why it "could" work, I have just not experienced it myself. I am interested to see how John is doing after 8-10 sets. I know this has been an ongoing thing. I he is better I may just take my RS 1 (handle) to a shop with a pipe bender and make my own "radius."

sj

• Baller_
I've been bending 12" handles with my shop press and it works well. If you bend too much then you lose tolerance. It's easier to bend them if they're not tied, but if you're careful you can curve one that's finished. My elbows used to hurt, but not anymore with a bent handle.

• Baller
I have had tennis elbow for years. My doctor said the only thing that would work was rest/non-use. I took some time off and it went away. I tried the bent handle and found no difference. A larger diameter helped a bit. Don't do any curls or curl type excercises in the gym they make it worse. I went to physical therapy and also did the electro-shock (not the kind Horton had to his head), ice baths, etc. None of it helped. Good luck.

• Baller

Little bit of truth to all of this-

I got golfer's elbow back in '04, went on some anti-inflammatories and switched to a curved handle- problem solved.

However, last year after recooperating from bicep tendon surgery I switched grips to a right hand over position to take the stress off of my right repaired arm...no problems.  This year my left elbow, the one that now has the palm up position has golfers elbow- tried the same meds but they didn't do much and then I learned that ai's only mask the pain and reduce the body's ability to heal itself (inflammation is actually the body's initial healing process) so I've lowered my sets, always have a day off, and ice, ice baby.  It's still there but much more manageable...it does feel a bit painful if I do 2 setters but at least I'm still skiing.

enjoy

ice also works best not only on the elbow but in apres ski cocktails!

• Baller

MS: "13 inch handle= head through handle"

I use the 13" Radar ARC Control handle. The bridal length is shorter than other handles and it will not fit over my head.

It is available in 12" and 13", Straight, ARC (Bent), and Eliptical (the bent and Elip are only 13" I believe). And best of all, it's only $35.00. I've been on my current one for 6 months.

Radar Control Handles

• Baller

A several years ago I had the same problem. I switched to a curved handle and have never had the problem again. However the year I had the tendinitis it still hurt for the rest of that season though not as bad, so its not a quick fix. But after the winter it never occured again.

Dave

• Baller

dsmart. "Tennis elbow" is on the lateral side and I would not think the bent handle would be of benefit.

John. You never answered about whether the compound in the Control handle was the same as the RS-1.

Richard. Are you measuring your degree of bend in any fashion when you are on the press or just "eyeballing" it? 

sj

• Baller_
Scot - I have pre-bent a piece of flat bar to simulate the bend I'm after.  It goes on top of the handle between the press and the rubber.  The ends just stand on a couple of axle bearing adapters, and you have to bend a little, then let it relax, then some more, etc.  There's quite alot of flex in the good aluminum tube that's in a radar & ho handle.  I've gotten carried away before and ended up with too much, but a quick inversion brought it back into tolerance.  The handle I'm using now (12" 1.080) has a little over 1" gap when measured at the 1/2 way point to straight.

• Baller

I hate bent handles from a performance standpoint. But in my advanced arthritic state my anecdotal experience is that the bent handles DO lessen the soreness from "slalom elbow". The exact bend doesn't matter to me as long as the grip is angled a bit (from the elbow pain response). Find a length and bend that you like for performance but any bend should help the elbows.

Eric

• Baller
Scot, thanks. The pain I have feels like an ice pick being driven into the inside of my arm just below the elbow. Is that "golf elbow?" Whichever one it is, hurts when I slalom or do curls (which begs the question, why do them as I am not good at either). I only practice so I can beat Horton again one day. LOL

• Baller
I didn't suffer from golfers elbow until I started doing the one handed gate. Over the winter it seemed to disappear. At the begining of the season I started with the two handed gate no pain. I was struggling so went back to the one handed gate, again golfers elbow appeared. I probably guess it is my bad technique but never had the problem before, so probably going back to a two handed gate.

• Baller

No problem. Just so anyone who is confused knows what we are talking about. 

"Tennis Elbow" is lateral epicondylitis which is an inflammation of the forearm extensor muscles where they originate from the lateral (outside) of the elbow.

"Golfers Elbow" is medial epicondylitis where the forearm flexor muscles that originate on the medial (inside) of the elbow get abused. 

I never realized how many people were dealing with this until now!

sj

• Administrators

Blows me away when a guy from lousiana uses a word as big as "epicondylitis".

When I call Ward all I get is Bouy.... kill Bouy.... Jed bone head.... Darwin want ski... beeer... Bikini... hunt and kill kill food.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

US Gear is the best for be. 12" or 13"  Bent more than others. high grip rubber.  Curved ends instead of end caps = no pinching. ARS is  standard for this model US Gear

http://www.usgearonline.com/proV_handle.html

http://www.usgearonline.com/images/products/17_ProVocs.gif

-Pro V OCS-

The Radius Handle was Designed for the Serious Slalom Skier. The Curved Radius Ends Eliminate Handle Roll, which Aleviates Wrist Strain and Over Gripping. This removes stress from the wrist and fingers, and helps to prevent carpal issues down the line. The OCS and Eliptical Grip Rubber put the padding where it's needed most, at the finger-tips, which provides more cussion where the forces associated with skiing are applied to the hand.
The 18° Center Bend in the Handle, provides a more natural grip position for the hand and wrist, further aleviating the wrist strain which can cause pain in the muscles and ligaments in the wrist and hand.

http://www.usgearonline.com/images/products/productpics/handle_Disection_ProV_webSized.jpg

• Baller

I had my arm's bothering me to a few years ago, but I did not want to got to a bent handle. 

I came across an article that mentioned doing "hammer" curl's to work this out.  I thought what could it hurt so I tried it.  It worked some, but then I realized I had really slacked off on doing reverse curls in the off season.  Now I make sure I get alot of reverse curls in and regular forearm curls and no more problems.

The hammer curls do work.  Take any ordinary hammer, hold it like your going to pound a nail but let the hammer slowly fall forward only letting your wrist rotate, then pull the hammer up with only your wrist.  Since the hammer is light I did about 20 reps with both arms.  It's easy, you can do it while watching TV, and it beats the hell out of a bent handle.

Good Luck,

Ken

Anyone also getting bicep tendonitis?  I have that and never really considered that the handle shape would have anything to do with that.  DOH!  The light went on.  I'm RFF and get this with my left bicep only.  I'd do curls to strengthen it, but they really hurt!

I currently use an elliptical SL handle.  I like that it's easier to grip - which takes pressure off my wrist and forearms.

• Baller

Actually for "hammer" curls the main thing one should use these for are pronation and supination...don't go forward with the hammer but go side to side...like turning a doorknob- slowly and in control and do the full 180 deg. if not more; 3 sets of min. 30 will help all forearm and bicep tendons

this also gives a really good stretch...you can also do the hammer curls/twists by stretching your arm out straight to the side of your body and do them...this really emphasizes everything

good stuff