D3 bindings

Jean B

Have been skiing about a year on HO Approach. some good things and not so good things about the Approaches. Have any of you had  experience on the Approach bindings, if so what are your thoughts.  Thinking about trying the  D3 Bindings, have any of you skied with the D3 bindings, if so what are your thoughts. I have small feet, very limited on choices. Size 5 men, size 6 women. Used to be on Wileys before the Approach. Prefer the Approach over the Wileys.

• Baller

I had a set of D3 Drivers on my X5 and they were truly bad bindings.  I've never tried the other D3 bindings.

I tried the Approaches and also found them to be very stiff.  I'd heard that the Connelly Drafts were decent and I've seen decent results except for durability with the laces.     

I bought a nomad RCX and put D3 Custom High Wrap binding on it this summer. The bindings kill my feet, it’s hard for me to stay in them for 6 pass’s, I’m an 8.5 and have medium d-3 bindings. Just got RS-1 bindings...I really think they are the way to go.

The current bindings that D3 offers are rear-lace, open-toe high-wrap bindings. They will be much more like your Wiley's were than your Approaches are. I think you would be chasing down a path that you have been. If you are looking to try something different, there is the ever popular Reflex front with a rubber rear. There is also the new stream of boots where the liner slips out of the shell like the Radar RS-1 (now Strada), FM E-series, and the heretofore unreleased Obrien [Elite] boots.

Jean

You ski year round you might want to think about trying a closed toe boat system not sure if Radar makes the new Strada in your size but would be worth checking into with Eddie.. Also check out the Fluidmotion Evolution Z series boot looks like they make a small boot 5-6 suppose to be a similar design to the radar boot.. My new Strada's are sitting on the floor of my office should be mounted on my stick!

• Baller_
The only downside to the Radar Boots is that they do not come small enough for women/children's feet that are below a  Mens size 8.    I'm pretty sure JeanB would go with hard shell type boots if they were available.  Do Fogman, FM, or any of the other hard shell types come in smaller sizes ?

I would for sure go with Radar's, Andy, however they don't make the bindings small enough. Can anyone get Eddie to convince Herb to make small bindings.

I was noticing the difference in the D3 high wrap compared to Wileys,  The D3 has the pull tie in the back, which might make a big difference to me, I might be able to get the high wrap to fit snug against my lower leg/ankle area. Wileys I was never able to get the binding tight enough around my ankle/ lower leg. To much movement from side to side. The front and back pieces of the Wiley binding were wider then my leg and so it didn't  matter how tight I had the wrap, my leg still looked like a toothpick sticking into the binding. 

• Baller

I've used the D3 Custom Hiwraps since they first came on the market and IMO they're the best rubber bindings on the market, way better than Animals et al.  More comfortable, more supportive, love the way they come  up high on the ankle and support the ankle joint.  When I first got them I worried about releasing because they are such a snug fit.  About the 3rd set on them I stuffed the tip and took an OTF.  Bindings released immediately no problem.  I think when I finally replace them I'll look at the Rail bindings but right now I couldn't be happier and have no intention of changing anytime soon.

Ed 

• Baller

It is disappointing that Strada boots have a limited size range. They are too large for my wife and too small for me.

Radar made a special pair for Whitney so maybe there is hope.

I have not seen the Obrien Elite or Prodigy yet but wonder if either is similar to the Strada boot.

• Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of the D3 Leverage.  (Technically mine is an earlier generation, but nearly identical as far as I can tell.)

Although my foot is not particularly small (mens 11), my foot is narrow and my calf is kinda scrawny.  I've really liked that the D3 is soft and comfortable, and yet tight enough on my foot and leg for good control.

That said, I am pretty intrigued by the RS-1s.  May try them after the tournament season -- and after I get my ski fully tuned up with the current bindings.

(Hm -- Just realized this thread is almost a year old.  Jean did you resolve your binding situation to your satisfaction?)

Saw the t factor bindings at nationals and they look great. much thought has been put in to make a front lace up safe. the heel cup is rubber with slots so when your heel starts to go on an otf the boot will release. they were much more comfortable than a standard rubber boot.....i am going that way for one of my daughters.