Carbon Pro

jedgell

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
48,000 plus seems a little high giving that Centurion has not been on the tournament circuit for many years and this new boat has not proven its self. There is no carpeting in the boat it has foam padding for carpet. Great concept for skiers but for the average public I don't think it will go over very well. Curious what the promo price would be.

• Baller

I thought one of the selling points for this boat was that it would be notably lower priced than its competition.  If it's $48K that's gonna make it a non-starter for most folks considering a new or late model ski boat.  If people didn't buy Gekko's, MB's etc (because they WEREN'T Big 3 boats)when they were available at much lower prices than Big 3 boats then I can't see too many taking a chance of losing their shirts on low resale for this one either.  Just saying.  If I had new boat money to spend and had to choose between say a new LXI, late model 196 or 197, or a new $48K Centurion, guess which one is at the bottom of the list?

Ed 

• Baller

Actually Ed, $48K for a loaded boat WITH the 409 and a tandem trailer is a pretty good price. Figure at least $6k for the 409, toss in a single axel trailer, a few less options and this could be a 40K boat, compare that to a $60K 200 and it looks to me like a pretty good deal. Resale? How much are those $60K SN200's going to depreciate in a couple of years. Two years from now a 60K 200 is going to fetch maybe 40K, a 20K hit.

I'm a SN guy but for my next boat I am going to take a serious look at this boat. Carpet? I wish my SN had either pads or snap in carpet, glued down carpet is a pain to keep clean. I'm kind of excited to see how this boat skis and drives. Keeping an open mind and an eye on my wallet.

• Baller

Boat prices are insane these days.  When you can buy a 2 - 3 year old LXI, 196, 197 under $30K, even a brand new $40K boat seems a stretch to me.  Not trying to be a naybob of negativity, just trying to keep it real.  I hope the boat proves worthy and I hope to get to ski one in the not too distant future.  But hell, I can't even get a pull behind a late model ZO-equiped boat of ANY brand out here in Podunk...

Ed

• Baller

That 409 looks like it has the Cat exhaust, that's about a $10K upgrade for 2011 versus the 2010 343 from what I've been told by my local CC promo rep.   Brings the price even lower than a similarly equipped 200.  Looking forward to seeing one in person. 

• Baller

From spending 15+ years on CC's promo team and presently turning a boat every two years, the "price" of a boat is irrelevant.  You must apply some business accounting factors to the equation.  It’s the “cost of ownership†that matters.  If a boat costs $50k today and it will be worth $40k in 5 years, that’s $2k per year to own.  Obviously, you must factor in the cost of money (let’s say 4%) so your total cost of ownership over the 5 year span is $20k – or $4,000 per year.  So, if you can purchase a discounted Carbon Pro (not tricked out) for around $35k and sell it in 5 years for $25k, you’re better off than if you bought a CC200 for $50 and sold it in 5 years for $40k due to the cost of money factor.  The higher the purchase price, the more risk you incur in depreciation as well as cost of money.  Again, that’s assuming the resale of the Carbon Pro doesn’t tank similar to the Infinity.

• Baller

$48k is the asking price of this totally decked out, new, boat.  Some seem to be comparing that to the selling prices of 200's, which obviously is not apples to apples - hence the $72k retail I was quoted from my CC dealer for a CB.  Single axle, 343 w/ ZO will easily be in the $30's out the door.  Centurion crew's site has 2 videos - one drive by and one wake/spray.  It turns flat, and the wakes look pretty darn nice.  This boat might be hard to beat for the price - heck maybe regardless of price?  I never thought I'd buy a Centurion, but I'm very interested in it.

• Baller

One would think that if Centurion is a) serious about penetrating the market and b) convinced that they have a winner on their hands, then they would c) be getting them out there for people to ski, drive, and report on ASAP.  Even if there are only a couple in existance at this point I'd be taking them anywhere I could to get as many people in contact with it as possible as quickly as possible.  BEFORE folks start dropping their $$$ for the new '11's.

Ed

• Baller

Ed, from what I have heard Centurion is serious and confident and working hard on point c. All they hype in the world is just that but they are sure they have a winner.

Centurion has been around for a long time and has the resources to make this work. PCM drivetrains are the best in the business and already proven. Tough economy to sell anything but given the price their competition, coming in at a somewhat reasonable price point may work to there advantage.

The boat just came out, and they are still dialing it in.  The had it at Nationals, Surf Expo, and Diablo shores, so they are getting it in front of people.  They had it on a lake at surf expo for 4 days straight for anyone that wanted to ski or drive it.  The boat was built for tournament skiing and has a lot of great features that people will like, and it is priced less than anything from the big 3.  However, performance will be the main determinent with its success.  If skiers and drivers like it, it will sell. 

There are only 3 boats built so far, so it is hard to get them in front of everyone.  By next summer, hopefully you will see a lot more of them.

A pic from Diablo shores

• Baller
I guess I was being a little tongue in cheek...I know what the advantage is; but, at $4000 difference I can buy a bigger engine in my tow vehicle or a really big tractor.  I have had 4 slalom boats and towed them half way across the country without issue.  Just seems like overkill; but, whatever floats everone's personal boat....pardon the punn.

• Baller
I would go for the single axle trailer. My boat only gets towed less than 60 miles per year. I would think the tandem axle would be easier on the boat too. Less bumps and vibration from the road. The tandem axle does make sense you trailer your boat constantly, and for long distances. The Carbon Pro is a pretty sporty looking boat. Another closed bow option which I prefer.