Comp boat/wakeboard dilemma

Oldutskier

Okay I hate to start this discussion, but i need y'alls help. I am about to buy a comp boat to run on a private lake. I ski, wife wakeboards, and my three kids will probably want to wakeboard. Do you all think a 2006-2009 sn 196 would provide a decent wakeboard wake if we added a little ballast? I want to be able to ski, yet have a decent (not pro level) wake for the wake boarders. If the sn 196 is not the answer, then what is? I understand the the sport nautique 200 is supposed to be the answer, but that is too rich for my blood. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.

Wake forming and shape has a lot to do with lake depth. Our slalom lake is 5 feet deep and even the big boats don't get great wake shape. Give them all trick skis and they like it more than wakeboarding! Then your SN196 or my 2003 PS-197 with built in ballast system will be ideal! Did I mention I have a boat for sale?

• Baller

Malibu or Mastercraft with a tower. Ballast does help. I love my new MC for tricks. With enough ballast we've surfed behind it in my shallow lake. And the factory tower is sweet.

The late model Nautiques have a wake that is tough to trick or wakeboard behind - especially for beginners. Unless your primary focus is the slalom, avoid the 196s. Nautiques from the 90s are excellent for everything. Great slalom wakes and when ballasted great wakeboard boats. You'll probably need an aftermarket tower. I still own and love my 97 Nautique. But it is old.

Eric

• Baller
You could try a Nautique 206 or a 216. The 206 has a really good slalom wake (have skied it in the course) and a reasonable wakeboard wake when loaded. The 216 has a decent slalom wake (have skied it on open lakes and feels harder than the 196, especially at longer lines), but has a killer wakeboard wake with the water ballasts are loaded.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I will consider all options. I like the fact that you all are suggestion older boats instead of newer boats. http://www.ballofspray.com/vanillaforum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-laughing.gif

• Baller_

A older sport Nautique or 216 nautique might also fit your needs. The 196 Correct Crafts really do not put a decent shape wake as when you load them up they wash out. but they do very well what they were designed to do and is slalom and jump.  Also an X-7 MasterCraft  would fit your needs, they came with towers some balast and were nothing more that a 197 with bling. Cory uses one at his ski school for three events and wakeboarding.

Good luck! 

I too have a boat for sale also, a 2010 Ski 200 I have two of these and dont need but one. Price is right!!!

• Baller

CC = 206

MC = PS 197/X-7, 205, 209

Malibu = Response ( I actually hate the wedge, as much bad as good with that thing)

Keep in mind the size of your lake, the turn arounds, starting and stopping, any length limit, and what engine's the boats are equipped with.  If you want to really slalom, and your kids are young and don't need the monster wake (no one needs it in my opinion), don't go with the larger boats, a 197, Response, or 206 will do.  Another option is a 98 MC Prostar 190.  Closed bow, and known for not being the best slalom wake, but that helps it in the wakeboard category, and it's still a good all around boat.

I own a PS 205, and feel it is the best overall multi-discipline boat.  I do think the new CC Sport 200 may overtake that title though.  

How old and how skilled are your kids? If they are getting up there and love to board put them first man. I'm not sure you can really get the best of both worlds as far as flat and soft then a rampy wake.

Based on your comments it sounds like your kids are probably pretty new to the sport. A DD boat can support a good wakeboard wake. Get an open bow so you can throw a big bow sac up there, pushing the nose down will help. I've never boarded behind a boat with a wedge but I hear the floating wedge makes for a pretty nice wake lip on the response.. that coupled with some weight back in the boat should be good for people new to the sport. Eventually you'll probably get a vdrive for the kids if they are still young but this way you get more time behind a really nice ski wake.

• Baller

Ditto what scotchipman said regarding the Response LXI.  With wedge and sacks it makes a really nice intermediate level wakeboard wake and still has a world class slalom wake unloaded.  A PS 190 or 197 properly sacked ain't bad either.

V-drives DO NOT make good slalom course boats under any circumstances.  Period.  If you wanna get at all serious about running the course, you definitely do not want a V-drive. 

Ed 

• Baller
you cant beat a malibu for cross over use, period. 1200lbs of instant equivalant weight with the wedge. my brother can easily do every trick he knows (flips and spins) behind our lxi as any other wakeboard boat. unless your kids are pushing raley's way into the flats, im sure they would get enough of  a wake with a lxi. if need be, add some 150lt bags to each side of the engine like we do sometimes.

• Baller

Shane H,

How is it possible to have the same wake if the engine is way in the back vs midship? The boat has to sit lower in the water resulting in larger wakes, good for wakeboard bad for bouy counts. I am just trying to understand how this could work in the sport 200?

Thanks,

Mike

"Do Better..."

The Malibu LXi with the wedge is great for boarders up to doing inverts. You can do inverts but you really need to be learning behind a boat with 1500 lbs balast to get the wake size and shape.The LXI I had with the Power Wedge was even better tha just the wedge. Being on a private lake you need to watch the balast amount in the boat to meet CC&Rs of the community.

• Baller
I gotta add my overlooked boat, open bow, tower, dd, built in ballast.  and used ones for 20-25k, new ones for 10k more, a Moomba Outback.  I havent owned mine long, but it does multisport well. Not a plush lexus CC SN, more like a chevy, gets the job done.  

• Baller

Yeah Moomba:  Huge savings, AWSA tow boat.

This picture is (of my dad and Outback) is a year old.  We've given up on the wakeboards since then.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_rOg5OTHUbvw/TTIREmnFmNI/AAAAAAAAAd8/4MZ1GfjQkr8/IMG_3342.JPG

• Baller

They are pretty decent boats (Moomba).  Drove an Outback for the first time last year.  Performance was great, handled nice, but pretty loud in the cockpit w/a lot less motorbox insulation. 

Wide boat, lots of space, wide in the open bow, too.  Didn't have the interior frills...ie) harder plastics, less luxo dash etc.  I don't think that stuff means less "quality" in terms of how long it will last, just lower end materials that are not as pleasing to the eye.  This is coming from a guy who still has the "family ride" in addition to his 196, a '91 Ski Centurion Falcon Barefoot.  Some "cheap" materials in that boat, wood stringers etc but has been cared for and held up extremely well.  My guess is a well cared for Moomba would also give all the performance needed w/out some nice, but in the end unnecessary frills.