What binding are you on, and what do you like or dislike about it?

TNh2oskier

• Baller_
Strada Double Boots for a number of reasons. Easy to get on/off, very comfortable while skiing and they never cramp my feet, great lateral support, excellent flexibility forward/back, they keep my feet warmer during cold weather months. Release is totally adjustable depending on how tight you pull the laces, and you can get your feet very close together if desired. Rear boot can be canted, and forward/rear adjustment is just 6 screws.

• Baller
Strada double boots also, for all the reasons listed above. I didn't like them until I put insoles in the liners, went back to Animals for a while. After the Superfeet insoles they were a totally different boot, I think it was because they helped the boots fit better. Only other issue I've had is the shell tearing, but Radar sent out a new boot under warranty, Great customer service.

On Radar RS-1s for about 6 months was on Animals for 6 years. Animals cramped my feet year round and were cold in the winter. The RS-1s do not cramp my feet and keep my feet from getting cold in winter. I have skied with ice around perimeter of lake and feet were fine. I also think customer service is great.

BTW, always double boots for me.

I have Animals and a set of front lace obriens, the animals cramp my feet, and the obriens dont fit my heel well, both are a double binding set up, which I prefer. 

With the strada set up, do the liners stay in the bindings all the time, or do you put the liner on, then your foot in the binding? 

• Baller

I'm on Goode Powershell 5s now. I do like them, although to get them where I felt the same as before required cutting off the front of the rear boot and trimming the underside of the cuffs so that they articulated forward farther.  They have been a labor of love. It took beating myself senseless to figure out how much and what kind of duallock to use. My a$$ is still bruised I think! lol

That said, my favorite bindings were the RS1's.  I was not a big fan of the Stradas. The changes they made in them from the RS1 hurt my skiing. Unfortunately, the liners in the RS1 and Strada would not last. I don't know if it's our water or what but the liners would rip after only a few months. 

• Baller

I am on a Strada front with a RTP. I like it because it gives me good support, is comfortable and doesn't need soap to get in and out of so it gives the same hold every time.

Personally I try to leave the liner in the binding unless I release from it. I think that makes it last longer. I have a 7 month season on my Strada front with 6-8 sets per week and it is still in good shape.

• Baller_
Strada front (Formerly a RS-1 Front) and D-3 rear High wrap. Have purchased a Strada Rear and will be giving that a go after I get a few more sets in. Used to ski on Fogmans and really liked them but the failure and repair rate of the parts was to high so went back to something that seemed to me in between the true hard shell and  High wraps. Have had one big Digger OTF with the Radar and squirted right out.

Also on Strada double boots. Really like them, very comfortable and adjustable.

I must say though, I don't like them when trying to get the ski off and leave the liners in the boot. Guess this might get easier over time, only had them the last month of the season. 

Coming from the old Wiley's double rubber boots to these, that was the only disappointment, not being able to just kick the ski off at the end of a set.

• Baller
Double Strada's and have never been able to get the front boot off without the insert coming out attached to my foot. Been using them for 2 years now. The rear maybe 50% of the time the insert may stay. I do have the rear less sinched down though so maybe they don't get as attached to my foot quite as well in the set. Quite a few OTF's and both inserts are on my feet each time I was really glad they came out.

TNh2oskier,

You asked up above:  “With the strada set up, do the liners stay in the bindings all the time, or do you put the liner on, then your foot in the binding?â€

I have RS-1s, but I believe it is the same.

1)      Liners go in the boot first.

2)      Then feet in last.

3)      During an OTF fall, liners stay on feet and liners exit the boots.

4)      When I finish skiing, unhook laces and pull on tip of ski and liners come out.

5)      I always set my liners on the drive on guides on the trailer in the boat house to dry.

• Baller_
I just leave my liners in the shells, when I pull my feet out I've loosened both laces and hold the liner in the boot while I pull my feet out.  It's hard on the liner to force it in/out a bunch of times.  The watered-down spray bottle of soap (for easier entry when wet) seems to keep them from getting smelly. 

I have been using D-3 Leverages for 4 years. I have a set of the new T-Factors. I tried them on at Nationals last year and they felt great. Fantastic lateral support but flexible and easy exit with great forward-backward flex. I have them mounted, but haven't skied them yet. I think they will be super, if I got the correct size.

• Baller_

Now utilizing a Rear Strada along with the front Strada. my only complaint is when I am real tired after my set I cant seem to figure out how to get both of my feet out with out pulling the liners from the shell.

I did have to glue the Radar insole into the liner as it slipped around and wadded under my feet. Very comfy feel and dont have the hurting sensation that the old school rubber bindings left me with. Great product. 

Shane,

I weigh 170 lbs., ski at 34 mph, 5@28 is my PB. Have not had any release issues with my EXO Pro's and nothing has been hurt during any hard falls. When I expected a release, I got it.

I've been hurt on every brand I've tried, including Goode's  and even on RS-1's when one foot came out and the other didn't. I think on freak falls anything can happen. 

I not bashing any brand and think there are some great boots out there, but @##$ happens.

Original Fogman (Riedell) shells with Intuition liners mounted to a 29" x 0.125"  G-10 plate.  I use 6 strips of clear 3M  250 (SJ3560) and 2 strips of clear 3M 400 (SJ3561) to mount the G-10 plate to the ski.

I used to put my insoles inside the liners. It worked great putting them on dry but very difficult to get them on wet without the insoles bunching up. I think it might have been Horton that said to put the insoles in the shell under the liner. I switched to that and compromised a slight bit of comfort, but not enough to even mater. If my memory serves me correctly, I took my first fall since I got them (about 6 months ago) yesterday where I needed to be ejected and it happened with both feet coming out evenly. I somehow caught my tip and lost the tail at the same time coming out of #4 off side buoy, and out I came. They worked great in that instant. My laces are NOT tight, just slightly pulled.

You asked for hints. This is what I would suggest: put your insoles in the shells, then the liners in on top of the insoles, then feet in the liners. Slightly cinch the laces, get in the water and grab the tip of your ski. Pull your feet out to confirm they come out easily. Then hop back on the platform take your liners off of your feet and put your liners back into the shells and put your feet back in and then ski a slower speed than normal making small cuts free skiing to get the feel of a hybrid boot.

I would not worry about heat molding unless you later feel it necessary to fix a discomfort issue.

Good luck, enjoy and ski safely.

I just changed from an old style Fluid Motion front and Wiley rear to T-Factor front and Wiley rear. I have had one set on the T-Factor and it feels good, there does seem to be a difference in the balance point compared to the FM hardshell. I expected this and will either adapt or move my binding.                                                                     If my rear hip gets sore again this year I may go back to a RTP. The hip pain came with the rear binding.

• Baller

Oldskeer, is it bungee in both laces on the T-factors ? If it is,did the feet feel securely locked in or did they feel looser than the leverage bindings ?

Do you use a dbl boot setup ? Do you have any experience with approach boots, if so how would they compare to T-factors?

I know, many questions but thanks in advance if you have the answers.

I am on RS1's I like them because they are very stable, release nicely, the slide on super easy and keep my feet warm in cold water. The only thing I dislike about them so far is the stitching is coming apart going up the top of the boot on my rear foot so I'll need to find a shoe repair guy or something. I'd also like to note that the moment I moved from rubber front+RTP to double boot I knew I liked it better.

Dan,

There is Bungee in all the laces. It is a pretty heavy type. My feet felt great. The lateral support is great. There is easy front to back flex and the way that the heel is designed, you come out easily. The upper ankle support on the leverages is great but releasing is harder than on the T=Factors. I have gone from 52 years with a RTP to a double boot. Too many short set ups these days and have missed a few kick ins lately.

Brent, I don't get a good kick in while in the water. I wear my RTP tight and use non-skid not a foam pad under my foot.

From a non tournament skier and as I read on here a PB of 28 off is only so-so. I have used for 4 years double Connelly fastbacks (same as drafts a little taller), the rear hinge-entry style. I ike the forward position it puts my legs into helping to get the hips forward. Very easy entry and exit. When I first purchased I could not get up on one but could put my rear foot in the binding and close the hinge all while up. Huge dividens to me just for that, not possible with most other bindings. Cons, always keeping the screws tight....nothing else.

I agree with other post, higher the binding is better to get that force to your larger bones in a hard fall. I will never ski with a RTP, seen my buddy with his ski and leg rapped around his neck when his rear foot came out on a simple wake crossing.

Ok, got the strada's and I am thinking the size is wrong.  I ordered my standard shoe size, and its way to short, feels like 1/2" to short on my big toe.  The shop I got them from says heat them and it should get better, but I dont see how they are going to grow that much.   There is plenty of room for my foot in the shell, but the liner by itself is where the problem is.  Anyone have them start out to short and stretch enough?  I dont really see how I could ski with them, they are pretty uncomfortable.   

TNhsoskier,

I had the very same issue. Just the liners alone seemed too short. I would like to have tried an 11 liner in a 10 shell, but they did not have it there to try. I did put on a neoprene bootie socks on my feet and then into the shells and it felt fine, like you said.

The sport shop heated the liners and had me wear a stack of toe caps. The pain was excruciating while I waited for them to cool. I was so relieved to get my feet out. I think the only things it compressed were my toes, not the liners. They had ne come back and repeat with even more cap spacers. That still did not help. I do not recommend heat molding first. I suggest skiing in them first and then see what you think.

I read something that someone wrote that they think your toes have to be at the end to keep your feet in place. Maybe they are right.

Even though my big toe is uncomfortable, I like these RS-1s better than anything so far. The liners continue to give me a callous on the front corner of my two big toes, and I keep trimming them off and make sure those toenails stay trimmed short.

You could always try on the next size up. But I have gotten use to the pressure on my big toes. There would be no way I could take a long hike in boots this short, but I only ski for 15 minutes at a time and it is a different kind of movement from walking. Also, the pressure is in no way painful, it is just something I am not used to in shoes. Now the excruciating pain from the cramping that the Animal bindings gave me was unbearable.