HO Exo Bindings

dude

I recently tore ligamnets in my foot releasing from a Wiley's binding so I am going to try a hardshell system when I can ski again. My doctor (who does water ski) said he thought keeping my foot in the binding during release was the safest way to go for me in the future to prevent re-injuring my foot. 8 or 9 years ago I tried Powershells and did not like them. Seemed too stiff for me so I swithced to the rubber Wiley's. The Exo Forms have attracted my interest because it sounds like they are less stiff than the Exo pro or Powershells. However, I have concerns because I read that that the original 2010 Exo's had durability, safety, and performace issues. I also have not noticed the skiers on the HO website actually competing in Exo's. Have all of the issues been resolved for the 2012 Exo's? Are the Exo Forms less stiff than Powershells? Any ideas on a safe binding that is right for ability level (I usually ski 28' off at 34 mph and make 32' off a few times a year)? At this point in life I am more concerned with safety than improving my buoy count. Thanks.

• Baller

I'm on powershell 5s now. Honestly, I don't consider them stiff laterally(side to side) but they are stiff to articulate front to back. I'll have a set of Exo Forms here on Friday and I'll be able to compare them directly. I'm told by people in the know that the shortcomings of the 2010 exo's has been resolved this season. They redesigned the rail and changed the snouts from plastic to aluminum.

One problem with going by what the pros are using is that they either:

a) have been on a specific product for so long that it's hard to change. some people say it's harder to change bindings than it is to change skis -like Willy has been on an old custom reflex

b) sponsored by another binding company- JT is sponsored by Fluid Motion

• Baller

Dude-

there are several threads dealing with the Exos- read them if you can; I ski about your line length and have terribly flat feet. I've migrated from the phantoms to the approach to stradas and finally to the exo forms...love them to death. I too have been told by the factory that all past shortcomings have been addressed. Also the lateral support is unsurpassed. Try them out if you can.

• Baller

Contract or not, FM still give him product and so there are ties there. Maybe not contractual ties, but they are there.

My Forms showed up today. I gotta say, dealing with Performance Ski and Surf was awesome. I ordered online Tuesday morning at 9am and they showed up at my door today at 1pm. Just over 48 hours. I paid for 3 day delivery and they showed in 2. NICE. Unfortunately I suffer from tendinitis and I've managed to irritate the tendons in my wrist replacing the pool pump and working on the yard so I'm resting up until Monday.

• Baller

Ok, so I've got 1 1/2 sets in on the Exo Forms. First set was absolutely terrible. I went through the gate and thought I'd hit a brick wall, turned hit the brick wall again, and again, and again, and again, and again. WTF? Came back through on next pass and it was the same way. I thought I mustve been wayyyyy off on the distance from tail, so I came back to the dock. That's when someone else got in the driver seat and said "Oh, how did you like the trick/jump wake?" Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. hahahaha So then I went back out and when the hydrogate on the 200 is set to slalom, it's amazing how smooth the wake is. :)

The EXO's are different. More snug than the powershell's. Not tight. The PS's to get snug I need to crank the buckles down more. The EXOs are just snug right off the bat. The textured footbed is going to take some getting used to in comparison to the PS5 liners. I would say they are stiffer laterally(side to side) than the PS5s. And articulate forward easier than the PS5s. I can feel a little more twitchiness in the skis ride in a straight line. Not much, but it is there. Right now, just different. It's going to take me 5 or 6 sets to figure out where they need to be on the ski, how tight to make the upper cuff buckles, how tight to make the rear, etc.

I'm going to have to call HO or Performance Ski and Surf on how to measure the location. I'm not convinced that measuring to the back of the shell is appropriate. It's pretty thick and far away from the heel, I think. Just not sure. FWIW...... Performance Ski and Surf was awesome to deal with. Great price, I paid for 3 day shipping and they arrived in 2.

• Baller
@ShaneH Keep the updates coming. I'm looking for a comfortable binding with good lateral support. So far, the Power shells are the only hard shell I've been able to even come close to running a pass with. I wasn't able to even come close on the Reflex. I went from Animals, to a Vector, to T-Factors, back to the Vector. I liked the lateral support of the T-Factor combined with the ability easily move front and back, but they are very uncomfortable after about 4 passes. I might try the Strada's or Attack. I use a RTP, but I may still try the Exo's.

• Baller
@DanE the forms are very stiff IMO. I don't think I'd want anything stiffer. Especially since the Powershell 5s I came off of weren't as stiff laterally as the Forms. I talked to a couple of dealers and they told me they are typically selling Forms to their customers.

ShaneH,

Thanks for the update. I am really interested to see how you adjust to them and how they release (not to wish a crash upon you). I have several more weeks before I can ski again due to the foot injury so I'll be checking this site before I buy anything.

Also, Brent thanks for the tip on the FM Quattro's. I have been researching them and have not read any negative comments. They do seem safer than others.

• Baller
Sets 2 and 3 today. Gets better every set as I learn where to ride them. Greg Badal had me split em up a bit more on the A2 and it honestly feels pretty good. I did stick the tip at 35 and they released cleanly. I'm pretty sure the powershells would not have released in this instance.

• Baller
They changed the snout on the front for 2012. It's no longer plastic. It's made from aluminum. Also redesigned the bar. I'm told they haven't had a report of one breaking since making the changes. Just to be safe, I have a spare coming.

• Baller

I have been using my EXO Form's for a couple of weeks now. I took an OTF the other night, System released no problem. I actually didn't realize I came out until I moved my legs and they moved easier than with a ski on. No damage to the system.

I agree with @shaneh the lateral stiffness on the forms is just about right and still good forward flex. I did replace the footbeds with some trim-to-fit ones. They give a lot better support than the stock foam ones.

• Baller
I knew it as soon as I released because I'd left the dual lock from my PS5s on the the ski(except where the rear release bolts down) in case I wanted to go back. Naturally, when it released my leg scraped down the length of the dual lock. It looks like I fell off a skateboard and got road rash. LOL. So, the dual lock comes off now.

• Baller
We'll be kind and just say my goal was to "demonstrate the EXO release" for Richard a couple weeks back. I did end up breaking a plastic tip and bending the bar a little on the last of 4 "demos". HO quickly replaced everything except the boots with the new metal tip and tail as well as the beefed up bar. Troubles aside I much prefer the EXOs over the Wileys I was using before and I have not had an injury since changing.

• Baller

Daryn, haven't gotten to ski since Monday. Damn ski partners with real jobs. LOL Only 4 sets on them so far but they feel better each set. Skidawg is coming into town today so we'll turn a few buoys this weekend.

It's just a very different feel around my foot than what I was used to in the Powershell's. More like the Stradas, but a good bit stiffer laterally.

• Baller

I switched from Stradas (actually RS1s) to the EXOs. I've only got two sets on them but right off the bat I fell in love with them. Super comfortable. I felt like i had more control. On my RS1s I always kept them pretty lose to ensure I would come out of them if a bad fall. But on my EXOs I can tighten them up quite a bit more which I REALLY like. Like I said in a different thread, I just can't understand why these boots haven't just totally taken off.

Garn

• Baller
@richarddoane is correct and the issues with bending/breaking on the first ones (fixed now). I switched from RS1's too. Like the EXO's so far, but also liked my RS1's too. Just the RS1's were starting to get beat up pretty bad, so I need something new. Thought I would give these a try before ordering new Strada's.

• Supporting Member
@TWB How long did you use the T-factors? They take a little breaking in, but after that period is over I think most folks find them very comfortable. I get zero cramping and actually they feel almost too loose sitting in the water, but they rock in the slalom course.

• Baller
@Than Bogan I free skied with them a couple times and did about 5 sets in the course. I stopped tightening the front bungee which eliminated the front foot cramping, but they cramp my lower calf near the top of the binding. I plan to do a few more sets on them soon because my Vector is falling apart after less than a year.

• Supporting Member

5 sets should be enough, I'd think. Perhaps don't fit your body/style/etc. for some reason.

(Also, I'm getting some deja vu on this; perhaps we have discussed your use of T-Factors before? Sorry that I have no memory!)

• Baller

Ok, back to the exo´s. How are they working out for you @ShaneH ?

Mounted up my Razor with a pair of exo pros this evening and plan on taking them for a spin tomorrow. Been skiing like crap this spring so my expectations are low.

Any chrash test dummies (pun intended) figured out the best VRS setting yet?

The spread sheet looked kind of vague, unless you´re a very small person or a really big guy they put b,5 as some kind of universal setting?

Tried them when they first came out but returned them because of too many issues but if I recall it right I had C as my recommended setting back then (now it´s B,5).

Have they change the springs or did they just rewrite the chart?

• Baller

The lower shell uses laces and bottle closure covered by a Velcro locked flap.

@DanE I'm back on the powershell's only temporarily. I was trying two skis and the PS's were on the one I ended up on. With two tournaments in the next two weeks, I decided to just ride the PS's until after the Cottonwood tournament next weekend, then I'll switch back to the Exo's permanently. Just can't keep switching skis and bindings this close to a tournament. I stuffed the tip at 35 this evening and the PS's didn't release like the Exo's would.

• Baller

Skied a handful of sets with the exo pros and I do think they will work for me. Amazing support and control coupled with great comfort.

Don´t feel as awkward to ski in as other shell systems I´ve tried ( ski tech, fogman diablos, RS-1) wich I all gave up on after extensive trying (guess I´m not a hardshell guy), well... maybe now.

Only issue I have is that the tongue in the rear boot cuts in a tendon on the side of my ankle/shin and makes it sore. Have done some work with a belt grinder and a heat gun on the cuff wich I anticipate will correct the problem, other than that they seem to work great ( I´m using the adaptor plates and they seem to work well also, cannot really say if the ski has become stiffer or not allthough I haven´t shortened past 32 yet).