B2 Lightweight Rope Option Approved by AWSA for 2013 (starting next week)

ToddL

• Baller

@thompjs - Why??? The lightweight rope is an option. Thus, if a skier is skiing beyond the available loops on the lightweight ropes, then the skier does not need to exercise the option of using one. Currently, Russell's junior rope has -35. Brenda/InTow's rope has -32. Top B1 skier is not skiing beyond that. However, it is possible that a under 12 skier who is under 100 lbs may be able to ski into 38 off someday. If that skier prefers the lightweight rope, he (or she) will have to contact a rope manufacturer and have one made, I guess...

I think some of the reasone why the rule was changed may be due to these assuptions:

1) B2/G2 Skiers skiing into -35 off and higher should be using a standard rope

2) Most -35 off and higher skiers in B2/G2 are larger/older and already would choose the standard rope.

• Baller

@thompjs - since the B2 record is 2 @ -39 and there are no restrictions on use of the light line in that division it would probably be prudent to go to -41 in order to be equitable to all B2 skiers and account for inevitable progress. The other way to go that would be in compliance with 8.04© would be for the Technical Committee to only approve a single piece 21.5m line and a 1.5m handle section - e.g. no take off loops.

Rule 8.04© [as I'm positive you know from experience] reads as follows:

The tow lines must be made in two sections consisting of a single line 21.5 meters long (70' 6.5") and a handle section 1.5 meters long (4'11"). Twopiece lines must be provided by the Tournament Committee, and the 21.5- meter section, which can be attached to the contestant's handle section by looping the lines together, must be made available. In addition, colored multisection lines may be used if the Technical Committee has specifically approved their design and type.

Looks like the its been thrown over to the Technical Committee to decide.

• Gold Member
When I'm the Chief Judge, I'm gonna switch 'em to the regular rope as soon as they run out of sections on the light one. Don't see that as frequent -- in fact my guess of how often I'll see that is "never." But if it were to happen, I think it's a simple decision what to do.

• Baller

@thompjs I understand your point about a protest... That would not be a good situation. However, I also think that any skier who is skiing up to -35 off in the B1/G1 or B2/G2 age groups is very well aready aware of the available loops on the lines. If they are getting close to running -35 in practice, I bet they are also experimenting with the standard rope already. Further, I don't think any skier over 100 lbs who is skiing max speed (34 MPH in B2) would opt for the light line as I see/assume no advantage at that point. As @Than said... "never" gonna happen. Well, never say never, but less than 0.001% probability.

The portion of 8.04 rule which @elr quoted is the minimal requirement of a rope. It is not the only format that a rope can take. Thus, the rules allow for ropes with take-off loops as long as the available loops and subsequent lengths are organized per the spec and within the tolerances specified (Tow Line Demensions in the Appendix). There is no requirement that all towropes must have all take-off loops to -43.