Ski vest

oldski

• Baller

I just switched from an Eagle to the 2011 radar comp vest. It has awesome rib protection and floats me as well as an coast guard approved vest. I loved my Eagle, but this vest is exactly what I've been looking for.

The 2012 radar vest has better rib protection too and is more readily available.

• Baller
Has anyone used both an eagle and Camaro impact. I'm pretty lean and I struggle to keep my head above water with the eagle. I'm also nursing some sore ribs right now from a wake impact a little extra protection would be nice.

• Baller
@greggy the camaro impact has padding everywhere! But it has just right amount and it is the most mobile vest I have ever worn. It keeps me afloat just as good as some of the coast guard approved one. Give it a try. You will not be disappointed.

• Baller

I am about your size, 6'2" and 85 kg and have an Eagle vest with extra back padding in Large and a Camaro in Large (I don't know if it is long or regular, it was on sale).

I use the Eagle all the time but for some unknown reason I am saving the Camaro vest for a special occasion so I do not know if the Camaro vests stretch.

Both are tight but the Eagle is slightly smaller.

• Baller

Just started selling Camaro, wearing one myself...

They do run small, similar to Eagle sizing(sell them too)that I am very familiar with. Camaro is really comfortable and good if plain black suits you. Really like both vests think they are just very different looks and the Camaros are also longer in the back--- so for tall or long torsoes might fit better than Eagle. I seem to float the same as with the Eagle, although there is more padding in the rib area for sure...Prices are similar, I will be interested to hear your thoughts.

• Baller

So does the Camaro vest cause chafing? It looks like it has thick padding right in front of the arm holes.

It looks like it is non water absorbent which is what I like about my Straightline ultra vest. But the Ultra is so thin there is no chafing.

• Baller

OK so I got my Camaro Impact vest and finally got a chance to try it. I've been using an Eagle front zip for the last year and I liked it but it didn't float me well and offered very little rib protection from impacts. From my initial experience I'm giving the Camaro Vest a thumbs up. Its very comfortable and floats me quite well.

The Camaro vest's fit was nice similar to an Eagle, maybe not quite as snug. It is not neoprene, its a thinner material that stretches and its very lite. The padding is a little thicker than the Eagle and covers the entire vest (they are small rectangular panels) so it should give a little more protection than the Eagle but not much. Its about 3" longer on the bottom than the eagle. The Eagle has a much heavy looking zipper so hope that will not be a problem in the future. I wore a Large Eagle and ended up ordering a Large Camaro (despite the seller and the US Camaro rep recommending an XL). I'm glad I got the Large, it's snug but comfortable, I think an XL would have been too big unless you just want a looser fit.

Been Skiing the Camaro now for two weeks - Miami Nautique has me in a M, 5'10" 170lbs, 38" Chest (and yes did give them my stats before ordering) According to the vest I should be in a XL. The M seems awfully stretched at the zipper when putting it on dry.... but the floatation is perfect, and when wet even feels snug loose, so in fact fit seems just about right. I am usually just in between a L and a M on most things so I probably could have got the L. Overall happy with the vest and a big improvement over a standard coleman water sports USCG vest. Protection is good as well all the way around the rib cage, no rubbing or chaffing anywhere. I guess if one was happy with their vest the $ are not worth the change to the Camaro. If on the other hand one is the market for a new vest as I was this seems to be a good choice.

• Baller

This may not matter to you personally, but Eagle is a great company that really supports competitive waterskiing in the states. The vests are made in Houston and I bet if you called and asked for an extra padded version they would be happy to help you out.

Not saying anything bad about Camaro. Don't know anything about them. Just sayin' support those who support us.

• Baller
Eagle is made right here in Texas, I've been to there location in Houston and picked up a few items. They are a great company and good to deal with, I have several of there products and will no doubt buy more. In my opinion they need to promote a vest with more floatation as a regular product.

• Baller
My kids both have vests with extra flotation in them from Eagle that Coble's Ski School has made up and they are great. The extra flotation doesn't get in the way but does provide more support and protection. I think it would be a great offering from Eagle and I would likely get one.

• Baller
I would love it if Eagle offered a vest with more flotation and extra rib protection. I replaced my Eagle vest with a 2011 Radar and I am loving it. I took a wake to my ribs yesterday and didn't feel a thing, but it's made in China and that really bums me out.

• Baller
I am on the Radar Decible vest (2012 model) I like it a lot, although have lost a couple pounds of beer belly so when wet its a little less sung than I'd like, but I'm at the low end of the size scale for the Large. its comfortable, and haven't had any chaffing. It has thicker padding than the Eagles I've seen as well as many Oneill vests. will float me to my mouth if I just sink and dont do anything else to keep me afloat. I also like that its reversible for that cold 2nd set :)

• Baller
Used my new Eagle front zip with extra flotation in both the chest and back over the weekend after using a USCG O'Neill for a number of years. It floated me very well and I took two good falls and felt fine. I did not have the full test by slamming my face and chest into the wake. If I do, I'll let you know how it works out.