How does running a course work?

mr_pretzel

• Baller
There are set of 8 gates down the middle. The boat drives in a straight line through. The skier enters the course at the first gate goes around the six buoys(red) and then out the exit gate. Each time you make it through you increase the boat speed by 2 MPH. Once you reach the top speed for your age and gender(usually 34 or 36 MPH) the boat speed stays the same after that. The next pass through you shorten the rope. Each time you get through the course you keep shortening the rope until the skier misses a buoy or falls. The extra set of buoys you see inside the orange/red buoys out to the side are used to teach people who are new to the course, and it is also used in kneeboard slalom competion. Chances are of you see a course with the extra buoys inside they are there for teaching people to run the course. If you see at set of green gate buoys before the start of the course, those are there mostly for the boat driver to line up their path into the course.

Thanks guys!

A few more questions.

Do people always run new ropes lengths at the full speed for their gender/age? Or do they slow it down.

If i have been learning on the inner buoys(what i was told to do) Will i have a hard time transitioning to the outer ones? I got up to a full pass at 30mph doing the inner buoys my first time. Will i have to start all over again for the outer buoys?

• Baller

Frequently people slow the boat down a little for new rope lengths usually 1/2 mile an hour or so.

It is a different beast getting around the outer buoys. I would slow the boat down to 26 mph and start working on the outer buoys. Don't worry about the exit gates at first just get out early for one and pull hard for two. Once you get around all 6 at 28 or 30 add the entrance gates in.

Have fun.

• Baller
I have a unique perspective (or at least I think it's unique) on learning the course. Start out wide of the one and try to turn in on the backside, shadow 2,3,4,5 try to get around 6 and out the gate. Then add from the far end , ie., shadow 2,3,4 go around 5 and 6 and so on. Gives you more turns and less falls as you progress.

• Baller
Anyone ever see a left-hand slalom course? Where the #1 buoy is to the left, etc. I've heard of one being mistakenly installed, back some time ago. Chet Raley has this option at his training site, and I understand that it takes some getting used to before skiers start running good scores. Would it be an advantage to right-foot forward skiers?

• Administrators

@mr_pretzel

Zero Off is the new standard speed control system

Perfect pass is the old standard

How ZO became the standard has more to do with boat companies and lawyers than skier preference. Many of us still miss the feel of PerfectPass. Basically we got screwed but are mostly done complaining about it.

• Baller

Zero off and Perfect Pass are types of speed control for boats to keep the speed consistent. They, along with the newer skis, are part of the reason the sport has become much more about technique than "pull" as hard as you can. For your purposes, just know it is better to use good technique rather than too much oomph. The newer speed control can punish you for that.

I am newer to this stuff too, but I hope that helps.

• Administrators

A set is a ski ride.

A full pass is when a skier goes through the entrance gates, around all 6 turn balls and out the exit gates.

Here is a number of passes by the great one.

• Administrators

@mr_pretzel

Don't worry about the settings. If you get to ski behind a ZO boat you want B2. Trust me on this.

Water ski history. If you want dates and names... http://www.waterskihalloffame.com/

Otherwise you found the source here.

• Supporting Member
@mr_pretzel And the crazy part is: That's probably even more "sick" that you realize. After you've spent your entire life trying to get buoys, you realize that each rope length is sooo much harder than the one before. So a guy running FOUR more rope lengths that I ever did at that speed -- well, there really are no words for it.

• Baller

@Mr. Pretzel, I would be more inclined to run the 36 mph ski at lower speed with a longer ski, than the slower ski at its appropriate length fast, this assumes you plan on skiing 36 regularly.

I would do the hands the "right" way to begin with, as most coaches will make you swap that before they do much else.