Using a Light bulb to prevent engine freezing

kfennell

So it looks like we will get a freeze here on monday night, I was wondering if some people here wanted to share their best practices for protecting a boat that you haven't winterized. Is the light bulb the only option? It seems like that can fail, if you use the light bulb are you putting it on the bottom of the hull under the engine cover? Is just being unde the boat cover enough? Thanks for any input.

• Baller
I've used light bulbs for light freezes in the fall and spring. A halogen worklight with the protective cage puts out the most heat, but be careful to point it away from any hoses and fuel lines. A floodlight is probably safer. Put the light under the closed engine cover and cover the boat. If the boat is stored on a lift, keep it down in the water to take advantage of the thermal mass of the lake. Sometimes I'll start the boat and warm up the engine just before going to bed as well. If it is going to get below 25 deg, I'll pull the boat out and put it in the garage just to be safe.

• Baller
I've used this many times to help minimize the chances of damage (or at least help me sleep a little better). I always placed a work light in a safe position directly below the block to allow the heat to radiate upward into the engine. If there is a heater, make sure to blow out the core to protect that as well.

I like the magnetic heater idea, I am definately worried about the lightbulb failing.

What about two of these?

http://www.amazon.com/Kats-1155-Watt-Magnetic-Heater/dp/B000I8TPFU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1354812352&sr=8-3&keywords=magnetic+engine+block+heater

So that I have some redundacy, and it's not that expensive, plus it will give off 2-3x the heat each that a bulb would.

• Baller
We don't get severe freezes out here. 27 or 28 degrees is as bad as it gets. Our boat is covered and there's also the engine cover, so it's not a real concern. But I have been know to put a string of Christmas lights in the engine compartment and put them on a timer to turn on during the night just to be safe.

• Baller
@Pat M,It doesn't take as long as you think to cause damage. The freeze simply needs to be hard enough to freeze the water in the motor such that it expands creating engine damage. Take the precautions and save yourself lots of money and time off the water.

• Baller

This topic comes up every winter.. and I've stared a few of them.

I think the magnetic heater is a good idea, essentially any magnetic heater or light bulb is opening yourself up for potential fire, but I have put a light under my engine cover many nights, so take that for what you will. I'd sure like a safer alternative than a light bulb, but 300$ for an extreme heater is a little much.

• Baller
In MN I just use a caged shop light for the motor block. Works fine and I have had the boat on the lift for several weeks of below freezing nights in the past. Bigger issue is the heater core. This recent fall I just plugged in a vornado space heater and put the cover on the boat to hold in the heat. That kept both the engine and the heater from freezing.

• Baller_

http://www.amazon.com/Davis-Instruments-Air-Dryr-1000-Dryer/dp/B0014TMXVA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354825378&sr=8-1&keywords=davis+air+dryr

much safer that a light bulb, we've got 2 in my boat right now, one up under the bow by the heater, the other just on the floor by the pylon, the boat cover keeps the warm in, but it doesn't get that cold here in Seattle

• Baller

A thing to make sure you understand -

While windchill does not change the temperature of a physical object - that is 27 degree air, be it stationary or 40mph wind will chill metal/water to 27 degrees.

The rate at which it will chill metal/water to 27 degrees is influenced by the windchill factor -

So if you have lots of airflow, it can be possible for blockwarmers, light bulbs and the like to be overwhelmed by the windchill. Cutting that down can really help a lightbulb do the job. But I would still dump the water if you aren't going to be using it reliably.

• Supporting Member
I'm in California not too cold. I still just open the petcocks on the block and pull the plugs out of the manifolds. The heater has done ok so far. Richard Doan, does the air dryer really help keep the boat dry?

• Baller
I just bought an Extreme Bilge heater was about 300 on amazon. It has a great reputation and is a nice piece. I've put one in the engine compartment of my offshore boat for years to minimize corrosion of metal parts due to condensation from freeze/thaw cycles common here in Kentucky. I'm trying to ski all winter this year and I just got one of the heaters for the 200. It's nice because it has a thermostat that comes on below 55. I had to blow the water out of the heater and plug it off because it is out of the bilge area. I've used the light bulb and frankly I don't there is a problem doing it. I recommend using the appliance light bulbs. They have a thicker filament desiged to operate in freezing temperatures! Well got to go ski!

• Baller
Also, I've just started the boat, and ran it for 10 min to get to motor up to full temp.. It will stay above freezing for quite some time that way. Go out about 10pm or so on the night of the freeze.. prob wouldn't have a prob without the light bulb.

• Baller
If you don't have time to get a block heater or drain it, Drop the boat into water, run engine to operating temp, then lift it up just a bit so hull is in water overnight but it's supported by the lift. Then throw light bulb in there and shut the engine cover. It will be fine unless it were to stay sub freezing for days. The water against the hull will provide a good bit of heat transfer since it won't drop below upper 50s even if the air temp is in the 20s for hours.