2008 Ski Nautique 196 Team Edition

The_MS

• Baller_
You are in the range. Inflated is when you get into a new boat over 50k. You will see low hour 196s continue to hold value well as long as the new boats keep going well over 50k. Like Razor and 6balls, running them to 2000 hours is much better then buying a new boat. I still think the best deal out there is a 2002 196 with the Excalibur engine that you can upgrade to ZO.

• Baller

So 10 years after the thread started, 3 years from the last bump ZO 196s are still mid to high 20s. 

Is this a reflection of less and less ski boats being made? Less new/used boats hitting the market and the price differential to upgrade has only increased so is the 196 worth keeping?

will the depreciation start? I know boats sales are way down but 196s seem to still move in that 25-30k range

or is it just a darn good boat that will always be desired? 

• Baller

Still running my 02 196 which I converted to ZO in 2010. Outstanding ZO pull in the slalom course. When I was skiing competition I had no problem skiing behind the other boats to the same level as at home at a HUGE discount in price.  

• Like 2

• Baller
49 minutes ago, WiscoSkier said:

So 10 years after the thread started, 3 years from the last bump ZO 196s are still mid to high 20s. 

Is this a reflection of less and less ski boats being made? Less new/used boats hitting the market and the price differential to upgrade has only increased so is the 196 worth keeping?

will the depreciation start? I know boats sales are way down but 196s seem to still move in that 25-30k range

or is it just a darn good boat that will always be desired? 

196's are really the first generation of ZO boats starting in 2007. And boats before mid 2007 that have the PCM EX330 engines are also easy and cost effective to convert to ZO. You can certainly convert other older boats to ZO, but there will never be that many of those around and IMO it no longer makes economic sense to covert older boats to ZO. So, you're not going to see many more of those converted IMO. 

On top of that, the 196 have really great wakes that rival the wake characteristic of the most modern boats. 

I expect that ZO enabled and capable 196s will always retain a fairly healthy price, because they will always be the most cost-effective option for a ZO boat with very desirable wake characteristics. The price will likely slowly go down as the price and availability of older 200s drops down, but both will likely be very slow declines IMO because there will always be fairly good demand for these boats relative to the quantities available. 

The fact that the MasterCraft 197s in this same timeframe during the ZO transition were great trick boats, but weren't known as MasterCraft's best effort for slalom wakes, especially at slower speeds and longer line lengths, also makes the 196s and early 200 the go to boats in these year ranges. 

• Baller
36 minutes ago, jpwhit said:

The fact that the MasterCraft 197s in this same timeframe during the ZO transition were great trick boats

This actually my exact situation.  Love a good trick boat (I know strange) but 07-08 MCs (and malibu) unless they already have ZO are basically impossible to convert at a reasonable price.

I know resale wise a 08 ZO 196 will be better then a 08 perfect pass 197.

• Baller

Prices are pretty much based on how badly someone wants to sell more so than how badly someone wants to buy.  I have an '08 196 with less than 700 hours, really well kept and serves me quite sufficiently.  If someone came along and offered me 50k I'd turn him down.  What else  could I get for 50k that would suit as well?

• Like 5

• Baller

That's great that my boat is worth so much. I bought mt 08 196 with 430 hrs in 2016 for $25,000. I think I will keep it, skies Great. I ski behind a 2018 200 every other time I ski and I can not tell the difference skiing. 200 Tracks a little better driving.

• Like 3