Coldest set you have had.

danspence

• Baller
spent nearly 8 years (3/98 - 11/05) skiing at least once a month in upstate ny (all winter skiing was in open water). The coldest we did was mid 20's air, water 33. As a side note, after not skiing in January since '05, we went 2 days ago. Air 50, water 43.

• Baller

Always feels coldest on a crisp summer morning or right after sunset on a coolish summer day. You don't bother with the wet suit, you don't remember to bring a sweatshirt or a towel, and then you ski and sit in the boat with no heater, no hot water shower, no bucket of warm water. And that can chill you to the core.

Coldest however was 40 air 40 water @ thanksgiving with trunks and a jacket, no dry/wet suit. That was nippy, however I had a towel, a hot water shower on the boat, and a sweatshirt/pants. So I didn't actually feel that cold other than jumping in, taking the set and climbing back into the boat.

Yeah know what you mean @bracemaker, those mornings where you think you will be fine with any wetsuits and just go shorts can catch you out. We have hot water down the club so normally just jump straight in shower after. @PBD sounds just like the temp I had the other day, I was only out for 4 passes. @Cam good pictures and idea like, I bet it was cold if you fell in.

• Baller
My coldest set was technically the 37 air and 37 water on Dec 24th 2011. That was cold, but the runs were short. We got over it quick with the brilliant sunshine that day. What was much worse was Oct 15th 2012 when the other lake got to 27F air and the water was still in the 50's. It was sooooo much worse and it was in the shade of a mountain. I hadn't eaten any breakfast and by the pullout for my second run through the course my stomach felt sick. Game Over.

• Supporting Member

I'd guess the coldest I ever skied was one of the first Thanksgivings after I moved onto my current lake. My family was coming in, and it just seemed wrong not to get all the cousins together who used to ski together all summer, and get out there. But we got hit with a coldsnap and the air was right around freezing. Water was likely warmer, although I don't have a boat thermometer (don't want to know). That was amusing, but doesn't need to be repeated.

The most uncomfortable may have been a different November when it started snowing (pretty rare in early November even where I am), and I thought it was my best chance to say I waterskied while getting snowed on. About 10 seconds after I got up, it changed over to freezing rain / sleet. Although I'm sure it was cold, temperature was the least of my worries at that point!

We did new years day skiing at Spray Lake in Wichita, KS. Air temp of 20 and water temp of 32. Luckily, the geese on the lake kept the surface from totally icing over! Dry suit and cooler full of super hot water helped mitigate the cold! All the ice made wiping down the boat pretty difficult!

Some of you are waaay tougher than I. 72 degrees combined- 35F. air, and 37F. water. We were 'training' for an early tournament. Ice cream face was epic... My partner that day regaled me with his coldest, where he and the others broke out a boat and skier path and shoved the 1/4" slabs under the ice outside the course. I was really glad I was not part of that.

• Baller
35 degree water, 50 degree air. My buddy had to use an ax to bust out the ice at the landing in order to put the boat in. We also had to avoid ice sheets and small bergs on the river. It was actually an awful experience, as I've never been that cold before (or since). My feet and hands hurt extremely bad, however my Sahara kept my body fairly warm.

• Baller_
Tried to get out early season every yr in MN back in the day. Some of the same experiences listed above. Mom worked for the local small town paper and we'd make the news every yr we tried. Unfortunately the headlines did not read " local athletes brave the cold" or " dedicated skiers push the limits " more like "crazy water skiers at it again". .....I should have know better then to trust mom.

Took advantage of a short lift in the fog today, and had a good free ski on lake stevens. Water getting colder, and the hot shower getting weaker. Took apart the shower hoses at the control and noticed the hot control manifold almost 100 percent clogged with dark brown goo on the screen. Cleaned it up and will try the hot shower soon.

• Baller

Hello all, i am new here, been lurking for a couple of months but love the site! We ski in the Finger Lakes of Upstate NY and went 2 weeks ago when we had unseasonably warm weather, air 50, water 40....@hacker, sounds like you went out the same weekend......where did you ski? We skied canandaigua lake as we couldn't get in @ conesus due to low Water.

Coldest we ever skied was 3 years ago, air mid 40's and water 36......it was pretty rude on the hands and feet.....but totally worth it!

Also if any ballers find themselves in Upstate NY you can always get a tug on Conesus Lake!

Cheers,

Sam Rode