Which Foot Forward Vs Other Activities

Phil2360

Maybe I was flogged into holding the pen in my right hand as a child.

Interestingly I can drive a hammer equally well in both hands &

whilst I've always tended to pick up Guitars left handed,

I've been learning to play right handed for 6 months now.

Rifle/Camera shooting is also something I do left hand & eye.

• Baller
I'm LFF, write right, throw/bat right, kick right, skate/surf goofy, play guitar righty, hammer right, but I think I hold a rifle backwards for a righty (gun stock to left shoulder?). Not trying to provoke gun control discussion. That's just another thing that I think I do backwards.

• Baller

I've seen a good number of skiers ride RFF on a ski and LFF on a wakeboard which I always thought was strange. Not me though... I'm right side dominant in pretty much everything. Even when I bike, I coast with RFF on the pedals. The only thing I can even think of that I'm more comfortable doing with my left is jumping. I'll jump on my left leg but that's it.

My dad wierds me out when he plays baseball. He bats right handed and throws left handed.

• Baller

LFF, right handed for everything else, shoot right in hockey, grip handle with right hand on top. I did once to try to slalom RFF and it wasn't that difficult- I think with about 2 years of practice I could achieve my regular level of incompetence. This reminds me of the only water skiing joke I ever heard, which I heard the infamous Dave Saucier tell at the first tournament I ever attended (and it's a groaner):

A guy goes down to the local ski club and asks about joining. The guys there invite him to come out at 7:00 the next morning to slalom with them. "Sure", he says, "see you then- I'm never more than 10 minutes late". The next morning he shows up puts his ski on LFF and goes out and skis into -35 (this was many years ago and -35 was hot sh** then). They think this is great, and he's a good guy so they invite him to come back the next day. He gives them the same reply, "See you then- never mor ethan 10 minutes late". He shows up, puts his ski on RFF, and proceeds to equal his earlier performance. They invite him to come back again and, once again he replies, "Sure- I'm never more than 10 minutes late". Then one of the guys says to him, "Say, yesterday you skied left foot froward and ran into -35, then today you skied right foot forward and did the same. How do you decide which foot to put forward?" "Well, the guy says, if when I wake up my wife is sleeping on her left side, I put my left foot forward; if she's sleeping on her right side, I put my right foot forward". "What if she's sleeping on her back?", he's asked. "Then I'm 10 minutes late". Bah dum dum tsssshhhh.

Well, that ought to get me banned... I warned you it was bad.

• Baller
My son is LFF and I have seen him ride multiple jumps away on his right ski like it was no problem. When I was a kid I forgot which foot was forward in the spring and it took me about 10 tries to get up with the wrong foot forward before my Dad corrected me.

• Baller

I'm right foot forward, but if I do one foot barefooting I raise my right foot. I always thought it had something to do with my left foot being my dominate "plant" foot for activities like basketball and high jump.

Doing toe hold tricks on the trick ski, I ski on my right foot with the left foot in the air. Seems strange that I can barefoot on my left foot, but can't trick ski on my left foot.

• Baller
This really has been an excellent poll. Counting votes and not percentages, I'm showing about 45% of people put the same foot forward on a ski as they write with and the other 55% do it opposite. I would've guessed 20/80 or 30/70 but it's pretty evenly split.

• Baller
If I ride a skateboard I am right foot forward. In the last 12 years I learned to write left handed also, even though I am right handed. I can't write in cursive left handed, but I can print. I can't write as fast with my left hand. I used to be able to write a little with my right foot. I was mixed dominant growing up, and as a kid I had a lot of motor skill development problems. I was constantly getting yelled at by my teachers because they could not read my hand writing(this was before computers). It was water skiing that helped me overcome all of my coordination problems, especially trick skiing. If I would have gone out for sports when I was a teenager I would have been a bench warmer, or never made the team. The mixed dominance actually helps my slalom. My fellow skiers at home tell me I have very symmetrical on and offside turns for a left foot forward skier. Considering my major lack of athletic ability growing up, making it to my first Regionals last summer was something I never thought I would see. Another interesting twist in the question is which foot forward, handedness, and which palm up or down..