Trolling motor on Ski Nautique

Skihack

• Baller
Due to the economy, I really couldn't keep both the Nautique and the bass boat, so the bass boat had to go. Now, I am planning to do some fishing with the Nautique. Has anyone mounted a trolling motor on a Nautique up front? I wish I had bought an open bow, but I never thought I would start fishing with the Nautique. Have been duck hunting with it though.

• Baller

Here is a pic of an MC Xtar with one. This guy got pretty flamed for it as I am sure you will too here on BOS. I don't know why people get so worked up about what people do and how they use their boat. Its your boat, your money enjoy it how you want to.

I'm probably in the minority here, but boats are too expensive and cool to just use them as a private ski lake slalom tug. Get out on the public lake or river. Open her up, let her run for awhile! Cruising the river and stopping at cool restuarants is fun! Camping or houseboating for a week with the kids and friends, so many cool things to do with a boat other than getting dragged up and down the ski lake every weekend.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/rodltg2/300752_10150748225520106_449679_n_zps3c82be55.jpg

• Baller

@skimech - That almost requires a "$5 fine"!

All kidding aside, have never considered putting a trolling motor on a ski boat. If you have grab rails you may be able to rig something up to put between the grab rails on both sides (if you have an open bow) and atach the motor to whatever you rigged up.

• Baller

@skimech, you are my hero! I fish out of my boat all the time. I am no extreme bass master or anything but I love to see the look on the fishermen faces when I reel in a 6lb bass in the same boat they curse at when it's running down the course at 34mph....LOL

Now hunting in it is a whole different level! Lets see pics....

• Administrators
Fishing from a wakeboard boat is fine. Trolling motor will not hurt the shore lines. I think that is what we should do with all wakeboard boats.

• Baller

There are several available "bolt on" style versions, for attachment above your outboard's wake plate, or stern drive.

I would imagine if mounted below the swimplatform up near the hull. they would allow you to use at idle, but would plane out at slalom speed.

• Baller
I love it. Use your boat. Catch fish. Take the kids out, whatever. I never make fun of people out on the water; they are enjoying the same view I am. That said, I did see a pontoon boat last year with chain-link fence as the rail and resin furniture on the deck. It was a sight.

• Baller
Need bow mount for bass fishing if that's what you're going to do with it. It's too bad it's closed bow with no grab rails. At one time someone was making a bracket that attached to the grab rails and bow eye, but it was for the clamp on stern-mount motors. And Minn Kota made a 665MX that was a clamp-on with the PowerDrive control that would have worked great (though it only had 28 lbs. of thrust). But I don't think anyone makes a motor like that now anyway.

I watched someone on a lake trolling by idling their inboard/outboard and dragging 5 gallon buckets to slow down the boat to trolling speed. I don't fish, so I don't know if that really works very good.

My brother has tried to talk me into letting him fish out of my boat - never gonna happen.

• Baller
We use the camo net as cover when duck hunting. We now use a new wider and stable jon boat for duck hunting. I was tired of trying to duck hunt in a tiny jonboat and fell out one time. Water was cold as #$@$. Nautique was nice to shoot from but you can't get in shallow water. I mostly just striper fish in deep water and spend most my time out on the swim platform. Tough to bass fish although I have got where I can cast out very far. Yes, there were Fish Nautiques back in the day. Nice boats for deep sea and fresh water fishing. Another boat called Shamrock was a smaller fishing boat. It was direct drive like a Nautique with the center console acting as the motor cover/box. I recall the Shamrock had a pleasure craft marine engine in it. Like the Fish Nautique, they are hard to find but they are a real gem stacked up against the mechanical troubles that eventually come with Outboard engines. Too old to ski but not to fish:)

• Baller_

If your fishing off the back ramp most of the time, why not a couple quick clamps holding a small home made L bracket to the ramp and mount the trolling moter there.

Was told by my wakeboarding neighbor that Fish Nautiques made the best used wake boats

I'm all for utilizing what you have, plus you will have the space and comfort of a larger boat. When we had our Glastron I made a simple removable portable transom that clamped on the swim platform, and then I bought an extended tiller for my min Kota trolling motor. It worked great, and I caught trout and Kokanee. I haven't done that for my s/n though. But you could easily do it, maybe with some wooden shop clamps on the swimm step?

• Baller
This kind of dovetails into the electric boat thread. Why not have a DC motor directly driving the prop shaft? I would think this would be pretty easy to do, and then you have electric for manoeuvring and trolling, I've been thinking about this quite a bit.

• Baller
@wilecoyote The problem with rear trolling motor power is that forward maneuverability is horrible in the wind in most fishing applications due to the low speed. Also, any boat that steers by rudder won't turn well at real low speeds to begin with. The transom mount trolling motors that you see are best used for A) backtrolling, or B) using as primary power on small rowboats, canoes, etc. But it really kind of depends on the type of fishing you're doing. For actual "trolling", gas power is almost always best. For sneaking along the shoreline for bass, or working a dropoff or weedline, bow mount is the way to go. Transom mounts have their place, mainly in the walleye fishing world to control drifts, or to back troll if the lake is calm.

• Baller

@XR6Hurricane fair enough, not being a fisherman myself, that makes a lot of sense. I've been mulling over the DC motor on the shaft idea just because I thought it might be nice to maneuver around the skier and the dock under electric power, and I thought it would be good for fishing but I guess not.