Greatest Coaches - an open-ended "poll"

ToddL

• Baller

In another thread, I shared my thoughts on what defines a Great Coach. I've included that below.

So, based upon the below definition, who are the great coaches you've had?

Great coaches possess the knowledge of their sport. They are life-long students of the skills and are constantly seeking other ideas/methods/tools to further their skills and knowledge.

Great coaches are intrinsically fed by seeing their students succeed. They truly want to share their knowledge and skill. They are the people who when find themselves in a boat, just have to offer guidance even if not on the clock officially as a coach. If they are rated judges, they find it hard to refrain from coaching when in the boat and have to actively strain themselves.

Great coaches also know how to convey concepts via a multitude of descriptions. They understand the different types of learners and use this knowledge to reach their students.

Great coaches know how to gauge their students' rate of consumption of knowledge and govern their rate of information accordingly.

That's how I measure a coach's greatness.

Who do you see as a Great Coach?

Coaches that I have had from best to worst in terms of how they coched and helped my skiing.

Wim Decree

Tina Lindsay

Many others who are good including jeff drew and ward.

No-one

My dad (definately more hurting then helping)

Not skiing at all

Falling face first into the boat cover and getting 7 stitches instead of skiing

Everything else in the universe

Horton

• Baller
I've only been coached by about a half dozen different pros but of that group the one who meets all the criteria listed above, hands down it would be Matt Rini. Item by item above you've described Matt to a T. I've also had some great coaching by decent skiers you've never heard of but of the pro's it's gotta be Matt.

• Baller
I had the pleasure of getting to drive while Chet was in the boat for about 3 hours. He never said the same thing twice to any two skiers. Too many coaches get stuck on one point and repeat it to every skier. Being able to spot and coach to the skiers weakness is key.

• Baller

My favorite learning session on the water with immediate and lasting results came from spending a day on the water with Trent Finlayson.

His skills as an instructor go way beyond anthing I have ever experienced when I compare him to others I have given a fair amount of money too in my efforts to improve.

I had so much fun for a day in Dec with Trent that I have already contacted him to spend another day with him on my next trip down to Texas!!!!

• Baller_
I have had Schnitz, Seth, Charles, Chet, Lucky, Jodi and lots of Big Dawgs like Skidawg, Badal, Baker, Scott and Miller. It would be hard to say which was the best, but they all taught me different things that I have utilized. Most coaches teach you the same thing but some have a way of making sure you understand which language they are speaking.

• Baller
I haven't skied with a lot of coaches, but Wim, Seth, Jason Parades and Big G (Gordon Epling) all helped my skiing quite a bit. Poor Jason had to put up with me when I was pretty new to the course. After giving me something to work on, when I would drop at the end, he would pause, and then say " What are you Marco, dyslexic?"

• Baller
I've skied with Wade Cox, CP, Lucky, Jody, and Austin Able. Like @MS, I'd say I picked up something from every one of them. Lucky was the first guy I ever skied with (at his place). At the time I could run -32 every time, but got my ass kicked by -35 every time. Slack hits, OTF, nasty! A month after seeing him I ran my first -35. CP helped me to keep my handle with me (and ahead of me) off the second wake. Skied with Wade 2x and he got me to switch my grip, which turned my off side into my onside. Skied with Jody 2x and he taught me to have a better position on my ski (critical) and to quit pulling so dang hard. Last summer Austin helped me with my pull out and glide position (body and handle!) at -38, which was very helpful. In the end, I can't ski with the same style as any of them, but I have tried to piece together a style that works for me with all of my physical pluses and minuses. Wish I was 25 again!

• Baller
Charles Mueller and Mike Munn, both former pro skiers and coaches that I luckily get to ski with weekly. Both have been able to find ways to communicate to ME so I understand it. When I'm in the water, Munn has been heard regularly saying "Aye Mate, that didn't seem such a good idea did it?" or "Mate, Andy Mapple couldn't hold onto that. What makes you think you can?" lol

• Baller
Bettosini got pissed at me once in the early '90s when I went to ski w Sammy Duvall. I broke a rope on a hard turn and it snapped back in the boat and hit Sammy. Knocked his sunglasses off. I apologized profusely to Sammy, but Marco seriously wouldn't even talk to me after that. I was all "hey, it was your rope".

• Baller
I liked Kris Lapoint. He is a student of the sport and has evolved with new techniques and was spot on with ski setup. Didn't try to make us all ski like him, although, that wouldn't have been all bad. It was just a relaxed day of skiing and thinking.

• Baller
He went to the dark side but the best lessons I ever had were with Mike Ferraro. Seth was pretty close. Drew and of course April and her crew. Also had a lot of fun and learned a lot with chuck dees back in the day.

• Baller

Great inputs from everyone thus far!

For new posts as this thread gets longer, don't forget to read the "Great Coach" definition at the start of this topic to help you determine who you'd name as a great coach.

I have found that one day clinics with 20 other skiers does not result in good quaility coaching. To me, good quality coaching involves a number of sets with the same coach. Best is repeating days so the coach can fully understand thier student and instruct accordingly. My two favorites are Seth Stisher and Chet Raley.

• Baller_
I had the oppertunity to spend some time with Seth as a driver on his photo shoot her in Orlando. No coaching or anything. Just some chatting. Simply put....a nice guy. Would welcome the oppertunity to be coached by him.

• Baller

Going way back, to 1964 Spring. I went to Joe Cash's in Sarasota for about a week. One of the first ski schools, I believe. Coach of Billy Spencer in that era. His operation was in a bay, but it was still ocean water. No sidecurtains on the ramp "can't keep them on". Had one of the very early Ski Nautiques. Also the Joe Cash Kon-Kav ski was big at that time. Ski worked, but was thin in the middle of the concave and tended to split in half.

Anyway, I got so I actually ran 36 mph (once), and added maybe 20 feet of jump distance. Then proceeded to get into all sorts of bad habits back home that Summer. But, he had a couple of key points that I think still are pertinent:

--Accelerate into the ramp (vs. flattening out/coasting)

--Don't spring on the ramp: EXPLODE!

• Baller

I had the great privilege to spend many seasons driving beside the late Ray Stokes. Absolute legend. As others have said the key for me is listening to someone describe exactly the same technical point to ten different skiers in ten different ways - each way completely connecting with that skier

Its a gift

• Baller

Terry Winter is the best coach I've ever had. To the definition at the start of this thread, he is definitely a "life long student" who is willing to try different techniques and equipment to understand what works best. I've taken a bunch of lessons from him and he constantly is telling me ways to accomplish the same goal in different ways until I get it right. Further, he doesn't "over coach". In other words, he is very good at using a few words to get a point across such that I understand it and I am able to execute on the advice in the next few passes.

He is also very active in our sport and wants people to succeed. I've seen him take an interest and get excited when people he's coached have skied well in local and national tournaments. He's also helped me after bad tournament rides by telling me what he thought went wrong. To me, that's what you need out of a coach.

If you haven't taken a set with Terry in the boat coaching, I'd recommend it.

• Baller

I agree with Marcus and Shredder. Terry is a great coach.

Chet Raley

Shelby Coke aka Scoke is inspirational

Greg Badal (even though he charges me full retail +50%)

Ward Mclain aka Skidawg

World famous Jack Hanna aka Bernie (from Weekend at Bernie's) for drilling basics early on. "If you ski everyday for the next five years, you might make it to mediocre" Thank God he lied to me and didn't tell me it would take way longer than that.

• Baller

Scott Thompson helped me a bunch early on in Iowa.

Biggest one time jump was CP. "I love your intensity, but you don't have to be 90 degrees to the boat at all times." Have skied with Cox, Jody, and Austin as well taking away a bit from each. On the day of coaching I would have told you I got just as much from each. Long term best effect was CP and Austin.

REALLY big was the tail end of last year w/my bro and Jeff Harber at skiwatch. We are all duking it out at the same line length and really got some synergy of thought going that I believe will pay off this season. 3 guys running 38's and talking the same language at the ends was one of the cooler sets I've had skiing...like we all had the "aha" at the same time.

• Baller
I will chime in for Brooks Wilson. I spent one day skiing with him. I only took two sets, but took away one thing he told me about my skiing. It was not an ah-ha moment for me. I was thinking to hard about it, but it did come later and really helped change the consistency in my skiing. I will be back skiing with him soon.

• Baller

Have had a number of great instructors, each have given something useful and insightful for me to work on. First real lesson was in Acapulco with Mike Parsons, Scott Rabenau, and Gordon Rathbun. Back in the states I have had lessons from Doug Meeker (The Liquid Edge in Farmer City, IL), Wade Cox and K.C. Wilson. Part of being the student is also asking questions and making sure you understand what the teacher is saying. So, in my opinion, the Greatest coaches question is really two parts: Teacher, but how good are WE at being a student?

I'll quote one of my instructors: When getting a lesson and learning something new, don't expect to make the course every time, instead focus on what is being taught, and if you get to three ball, that is a victory.

With that said, I can't wait to get to Coble's in June!

• Baller
Is there any merit in choosing a coach that skis with the same foot forward as yourself? I know all these fellers have coached enough that they've seen everything and have tricks up their sleeves for all sorts of unique situations, but sometimes I wonder if there is a kinesthetic knowledge or intuitiveness that is gained by sharing that fundamental foundation.

I was coached with most of the above mentioned people. Still it will only work if it clicks in my head...which depends on so many factors, coach just being one! Still I'm surprised no one mentioned Aron Larkin - had a few excellent sets with him last November. You can find him at Greater Miami WSC and if you are lucky perhaps he will be able to coach you. Worth a go!

• Baller_

Three event picks

Cory Pickos: Pickos Ski school

Jack Travers: Travers Ski School

Jay Bennett: Bennetts Ski School

Michael: McCormick McCormicks

Brenda Baldwin : Travers/ Independent

Slalom

Chet

Skip Dunlap

Danny Ordvarko

Keith Albritton

Schnitz

Andy

Chris Parrish

Jump

Scot Ellis

Stephen Seal

Brenda Baldwin

Trick

Cory

Russell Gay

Mike McCormick

Tange

These are all coaches that I have had coaching for either myself or my kids over the last 20 years. every one of them has helped team Seal with positive productive Coaching.

Coaches - too hard to rank as each was great and helped in some way:

Andy M

Marcus B

Natalie H

Todd R

Gordon R

Jodi F

Rhoni B

Jamie B

Greg Badal

Corey Humberg

and a couple more local dudes

OK, can say favorites were Rhoni and Natalie, for obvious reasons!