A few boat questions

bstphen24

Looking to hopefully upgrade our current boat, '89 Ski Nautique, in the next year or so. I would really like to get into a '98-'02 Sport/Air Nautique. They have the room we need for the kids, the rear locker for storage and sundeck for the wife, and a wake ski wake that is plenty capable for me. I am wondering what the biggest differences are with the Air and "Pro" Air nautiques? From what I know the "Pro" doesn't ski as well, but is it terrible? Are there obvious signs in the hulls to tell the two apart if the boat has been de-badged?

The other boat that I like and fits the main requirements, is the Malibu sunsetter lxi. How does this boat compare wake wise to the others?

• Baller

Pro Air Nautiques have a "vented" hull. Basically it is a knotch in the side bottom about @ the trailer fender going inward toward the bottom chine. Imagine a triangle cut into the hull side going inward. Also, it has lifting strakes on the hull. A Sport/Air has a smooth hull very similar to the SN of the same era. Top decks on both boats are identicle.

Do not expect a good slalom wake from the Pro Air. It has a serious rooster tail and lots of spray. It is not pleasant.

Spent a lot of time behind a '94 Sport Nautique. At the time I was a 22-28 off 36 mph. Although the bump was a little more noticeable @ 15,22 than the SN I usually used I didn't loose any buoys.

• Baller
I used to ski behind a 99 sport nautique and a 2001 sunsetter lxi. I can say that I would pick the sunsetter lxi from a slalom standpoint everytime. I mostly ski 15 to 28 off and the bump on the sport nautique was much more noticable. Have you thought about a mastercraft 197 or x7? Those are nice for the family too. I have one and love it!

• Baller
I own a 2001 Sunsetter Lxi and also ski often behind a '04-ish Response Lxi. I am in the 15 to 28 off at 34.2 range. I've pulled folks through 38 off behind my boat. I'd say that the wake is slightly bigger, but softer, than that of the Response Lxi. Note, if you are looking at Sunsetter Lxi's, stay away from the '05-'06 models as they had a different hull (SV25 diamond) and were known to not ski as well.

I have an 01 Sunsetter Lxi and definitely recommend you snag one if you have the chance. My in-laws have an Air Nautique and that wake is just about unskiable compared to the Sunsetter. I ski with some guys; one who owns a Response (wake very comparable to Sunsetter) and one with a MC 197 (he much prefers to ride with the Malibu boys if given the choice). Get the 'bu!

• Baller

The other option would be a Nautique 206. Great slalom boats with some room and walk thru open bow:

http://www.onlyinboards.com/BoatMarketplace/BoatBrowse.aspx?PartMakers=true&MakerName=1&Model=300

These may be a bit pricey but very low price on the re-furbed club boat as you scroll down that link in blue. Might at least be worth a conversation.