2014 Prostar scoop?

swc5150

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
I spoke to "someone" at MC yesterday. MC is doing a good job keeping this a secret. There are a ton of rumors but none that I know to be true. They want to keep their product under wraps. I say we let them announce when they are ready.

Talked to someone definitely "in the know" (top three skier) who is involved with the r and d of the prostar. Basically what he said was that they have got a hull design at the moment with the flattest wakes ever created which is good but like @scotchipman said they are after the three event crowd. They are struggling to create any sort of a ramp for tricking and jumpers are experiencing the problem of having to almost completely adjust to the new design because there is such a different feeling created when cutting across the wake. Finally he said that there is no chance of them unveiling a new hull unless it is undoubtedly the best three event boat in the market. Don't know if this is new information or not but I hope it's helpful.

• Baller
@gregy the problem right now is a shortage of good trick wakes. The Nautique 200 doesn't have a great wake for tricks. The Malibu TXI is pretty good but the current Mastercraft is the best. It sounds like they are trying to find a way to maintain that.

• Baller

Found this...

I have first hand reliable intel on the new Prostar for 2014. It will be named Prostar 201. MC wants to one up CC again ( cc196 vs MC197) . It will share some of the same characterisics of the new Xstar. It will have the funky rub rail dip and will also incorprate a small pickle fork front bow to address the complaints of the small seating area of the 197. It will have a rear swooping mini tower that does not interfere with shortline. . It will have a built in boom that stores itself in the gunnel when not in use. A push of a button will release the boom and it will telescope out automatically! No power tower, but now you got this cool auto feature. The engine will be pushed forward 3 inches as well as the gas tank to improve weight distibution. The storage locker is thinner but goes all the way to the floor. The dash will have no gauges. It will be one offset( simalar to CC) six inch screen . It will display all info and zero off. It will have two rope release systems, one specific to trick the other to slalom. The wake is supposed to be so faint and soft that it will sure to see new world records. As far as power plant, there is talk of a turbo charged V6 that is supposed to get better gas consumption than anything we have seen before.

• Baller

I heard out the door 38k price tag!

It’s fun to speculate but I find this hard to believe. Why would MC discount their brand? Especially $12-15k under Correct Craft. Makes no sense. MasterCraft has a certain cache’ in the marketplace. They are not known as the low cost provider in the towed-watersports arena. And, I seriously doubt they would want to achieve that recognition.

• Baller

FWIW, when I trick, I select the current MC. I feel like the wakes are defined and the table is the cleanest of the three boats. N200 has a flat table, but the aeration turbulence is a bit weird unless you can train on one and get used to it. MB (LXi/TXi) have a rooster-tail inner wake ( a wake within the wake) at trick speeds. You have to either get your rope length into a very small window in front of that (which leaves very little room between the actual wakes, or setup your rope long and trick behind the inner wake (making the actual wakes miles apart). The current MC's have neither of these issues for trick table/wakes.

Wait! What the heck am I doing discussing trick... Never mind. Back to buoys. Sorry.

• Baller
Talked to my MC dealer at the boat show. They don't make their money on 190s or 197s. Not enough volume. One of the sales guys who was down at the factory recently said they seem to be really close on finalizing the hull. Said it was funny to see the test boat because it was a new hull with an old top deck sort of slapped on top of it for testing. I'm excited to see what they come up with.

• Baller

Perfect @ShaneH - so with those sales maybe 3 people would have cared if the wakes were "worse" on the 197 than the alternative.

There may have been a number of purchasers who disregarded the 197 for another boat, but after all, the 197 hull has been around, and people who bought one might not have been investing in new ones in 2012. There were also a number of new hulls released by the competition. So it might have been a case of time to get that new model out there.

Of the wakeboard boats I would be curious how many were things like the X2, or the X7 - people who might slalom ski but have a family who wants to surf or wakeboard more.

But the numbers illustrate a point. MC could come out with the BEST slalom hull ever, and they'll sell <10% of their sales from them.

• Baller

@Kelvin The Nautique numbers were a little higher in ratio. 40 wakeboard boats, 3 promo 200s, 3 real 200 sales. Of the 3 promo 200s, 1 was trick only.

@Bracemaker MC doesn't care about that though. They still want a 3 even boat that everyone wants to ski behind, as opposed to how it is now.

• Baller
I do not work for Nautique, and this comment has nothing to do with How Correct Craft Corporate feels about three event skiing. Lets be realistic, if there are 5000 Tournament water skiers in US, or the World for that matter. ( I don't know the exact number, but it doesn't matter for this example) Of the 5,000, it would be my guess that over 90% or 4500, slalom ski. OK, that leaves 500 that trick only and or Jump only. ( number is probably more like 95% slalom and 5% trick or jump only) As a business man, do I build the absolute best boat for slalom, ( i.e. no compromise slalom wakes) or do I compromise the slalom wake for the less than 10% or trick skiers? Come on, are you kidding me. It's pretty simple, math. you can't be everything to everybody. If a boat company came out with a unbelievable, fantastic, best in the world trick boat, ( not real good slalom wakes ), They would sell less than 50. Don't get me wrong, if your passion is trick skiing and or jumping, that's great, and I respect that. however, we're talking business when building and selling boats.

• Baller
@GregDavis , if that is really the case, why isn't the Centurion flying out the door for slalom skiers? When I talked to the factory about that boat, they said they built it for slalom & jump and didn't really take trick into account. The Centurion is a great slalom boat, just using it as an example. Families like to do other things than just slalom. My wife likes to trick ski, so she actually will try a boat for trick and slalom. Think of it as Dad likes to slalom but Jr likes to wakeboard, got to have a little compromise to sell to the general market.

One of the best selling MC boats is the X-2. With the wakeplate properly adjusted, it can pull a slalom skier through the course. It is not great, but it does work. It is MCs best selling hull. It is really hard making a no-compromise boat for a narrow audience that will pay off. Most buyers have a family and several conflicting interests and uses. Also, most boats don't wear out. You can keep them going for decades. If you like your tow boat, keep up basic maintenance, and replace the soft surfaces every 5-10 years, you essentially have a "new" boat for a long time.

It is really tough to be a boat manufacturer. You are essentially following or creating fads of what the boat buying public wants. Wakeboarding was really popular while it was new and tricks were new. Anyone could get "good" because the top end was undefined. Any competitive sport or activity shares this characteristic. Then, the beginners start of fade off because the top end is so far away. It is frustrating because people want to be competent and good.

The upper end of waterskiing is so far away that people want to "throw in the towel" because you simply have no hope of getting there. So, why spend over $50k for an activity or sport where you cannot compete. There has to be another reason. For me it is the lifestyle and the simple enjoyment of my family. So, for now I have an X-2, slalom behind it, and slalom behind friend's boats. When the kids are out of the house, I may get the next version of the 197 and slalom exclusively.

Right now, I am thankful that MC, CC, and Bu make slalom tugs. Hopefully I can get one in a few years.

• Baller
@Dacon62 That is not what the boat will be. I saw that months back on another forum too. The guys guy who posted it just made it all up to stir the pot. I though he did a darn good job though. He had quite a few people going....the telescopic boom might be a little much...lol

• Baller

KrleeBaller

1:05PMFlag

Krlee, To comment on your question: "if that is really the case, why isn't the Centurion flying out the door for slalom skiers"?

We could go on and on and on about this subject. If Centurion hangs in there, I think they will start selling more. Lots of things to consider when purchasing a new boat.

1. Qualify of product

2. Performance

3 Resale

4. Does boat meet the needs or your family activities

5. VALUE, Yes, X boat is more expensive than Y boat, however, is the VALUE there

for you. and your interests. I place alot of importance on Resale, People who keep a boat 10 years or more, resale isn't as important.

6. Drive ability, I want a slalom boat that is easy to drive in slalom course.

i.e. wife driving, I want best pull while skiing slalom course that I can get.

6. again, we could go on and on, Everyones different, and has different opinions.

Me, I like a high quality boat, with good resale, that is designed for Slalom. Now with my Grandkids skiing, the slalom wake at slower seeds is important to me, as I want them to progress salely, and with enjoyment. I will put up with lack of storage, or

not a good trick wake, etc.etc. those things are not as important to me than the slalom wake

If I only trick skied, I would purchase the best boat made, for tricks. ( as long as it was going to be used in Nationals), However, my point is trick only skiers only represent a very, very small group. It is just not profitable to make a boat for that small of a market.

I'm not sure on this, however, I was told that the US CoastGard sticker on the Centurion says boat is only approved for 3 passangers. If this is true, it will kill resale.

If someone made a better slalom boat than a Nautique 200, I would consider buying one.

• Baller

@GregDavis

My point wasn't to make a discusion about the Centurion, but more to the point, there is a great slalom only boat that is not in high demand for what ever reasons. It was to point out that there is more to concider than just slalom only (low/soft wakes) will sell more boats. The boat has to have some function (family activities/storage/wake) for people to want it. I agree with you that the 200 is a great slalom boat and does other things well. My wife likes the trick wake behind it. Quality and storage is good, it has an OB option for family's. I think all these things make for a great boat that can sell to the general public. I don't think manufactures should build a boat for only one function, it limits overall sales. There is always some compromise.

• Baller

Maybe it's cuz the existing slalom wakes on the existing competitors are already amazing. It will be mighty hard to be SO much better that all the slalom skiers will gravitate to the new MC. They would sell more of this boat, however, if the slalom wake is killer AND it also good for the other events--it gives an advantage over the competition.

Very tough market given wakes have been very good for many years now on the big 3. For anyone other than junkies like us who need the latest/greatest with ZO it's foolish not to buy used.

Given how few are sold, I wonder how important a presence in this market is for the sales of their big dollar family/wakeboard boats. If this wasn't important, it is tough to make a business case to be involving lots of R/D time effort energy into such a low volume line.

• Baller

@ShaneH ,

It was more to the point that if a great slalom wake was all people on this site wanted, why aren't they pulling the demand through existing dealers instead of it being pushed through the dealers. The Centurion was the only tournament approved boat that I know that was built mostly for slalom. My neighbor has one, it is a great slalom boat. Not trying to knock it, just use it as an example that there is more than just slalom out there.

• Baller
@Krlee Centurion is still fairly new and it is a it is a closed bow boat that is mad for a private like such as a Shortline or Bell Aqua. Not having an OB version the boat take the family out of the picture for open water slalom. It also has a steep price tag for what they offer compared to Nautique or Master Craft.