EFI Conversion for Chevy 350

boarditup

A buddy put me onto this - Howell EFI builds a conversion kit for older Chevy small blocks from carb to EFI. They build marine grade kits and claim to have converted over 1,000 boats. The harnesses are built for each application, but they use mostly GM parts. If you have an older boat and want the EFI, and have about $1,500 it is an option. It is not drive by wire, so ZO is not an option. However, PP is an option since it uses stock GM linkage.

They have a marinized kit available - it adds about $100. Their kits have been used on USCG inspected passenger vessels. They have an O2 kit for the mainfold.

Yes, it is a lot of gas, but it may be worth it to someone. I really like the drivability of EFI. I had a carb boat and spend a lot of time on it. Three rebuilds over a decade due to alcohol in fuel and dirty gas. Each time it was a pain to get it adjusted right.

• Baller

I've used the Howell kits on several auto projects with good success. The throttle bodies are a very simple system. Howell really stands by there product as well. I've had to call them multiple times for help and they always answered the phone or called me back quickly.

I've worked on the vehicles with the Holley kits and never could get them to run right.

Throttle body injection was used on some boats in the 90's. I regularly ski behind a PS205 Mastercraft that has a 350ci gm with throttle body and PP stargazer. It skies great.

• Baller_
I ski behind 2 different Malibu Echelons from the 90s when in MN with throttle bodies. Both boats work very well. One very well mechanically maintained and the other not so much. No difference that I can tell. Not sure that would be the case if they were both carbed.

• Baller
Yes, the corrosives that will enter the carb, are going to enter a fuel injection system as well. Before storage every year I make sure to run the last tank with Sta-bil and I have never had a problem...granted, I also run a Holley and not a quadrajet, but FI or Carb if you let stake fuel sit over the winter, you will have issues with everything from rubber lines to needle and seats, etc. Often it is the stuff downstream from the carb that is getting old and corroded that is causing the problems upstream.

• Baller_
The biggest problem I see with aftermarket throttle body injection is that if the mapping is off the front and rear cylinders have the potential to run lean and could cause catastrophic failure. Keep in mind all the Indmars running to this day with throttle body injection (and it is still available) run for the most part fine, however their mapping is fat fat fat!!!