Lake Lloyd - Daytona International Speedway

DavidP

This would be a great location for a pro tour stop during speedweeks. The exposer to the sport would be fantastic! Possible national or international tv spot.I was thinking about this for the last few days, funny this post showed up. Jeff Gordon use to compete, good tie in for tv coverage.Get him out for a set.

Speedweeks goes on for almost two weeks.There are 150 to 200 000 people coming down for the racing not only @ this track but dirt races in the area ect that have down time to fill.If there was times when Lake Llody was calm enough to compete people may get exposed to a sport they may never otherwse go to see.Lots of tv cameras to catch the action.

• Baller_

I attended the 24 Hours of Daytona several years ago (the winter before the Dr. Micheals fiasco; I recall that because I remember talking with Mike Ferrero about him at the event). I went to the race because there was a water ski demonstration scheduled. World water Ski Pros put it on (Andy, David Hunter). WWSP was the same organization that introduced the U.S. Open finals to Downtown Disney and had a jump event in NYC. Lots of pros at Daytona: Andy, Wade, Jarret, etc. There were a hundred thousand plus people there. Unfortunately, it was some of the worst water conditions I have ever seen and just running a pass was a challenge. The lake is surrounded by concrete walls. Total backwash. You wouldn't catch me skiing there. So, great exposure but because of lousy conditions, not the best place to ski or to showcase the sport. The race was Paul Newman's last. He spun out at least three times. The ironic thing is I am eating a Paul Newman pizza as I write this.

Lpskier

• Baller_
The event was entertaining, several of the race fans did wander over to watch. One of the competitions was held during the Busch (now Nationwide) race, it was a four ball course if memory serves me correctly. The skiers had fun since they got a chance to mingle at the track & several are fans. The track promoter at the time is a big ski fan, so that is why it ended up happening, he was the champion of the idea. Cool stuff, it did stretch from the 24 Hour through the 500 weekend. I certainly enjoyed it and even got a change to ski.

• Baller
I was with a couple guys barefooting on it during the Rolex 24 about 4 years ago. Got some air time on Speed Channel! Centurion became a NASCAR sponsor around that time and would have some boats out during the races but I haven't seen any towed sports on it in a few years.