Subtle Technique - Can only advanced topics members guess?

BraceMaker

• Supporting Member

Naturally, I find myself keying on what i'm working on, and I see him letting the handle out so smoothly. Nothing jerky nothing sudden, even though he holds it close for a long time on the way out.

My second guess has to do with where his hips are from centerline outbound, but I don't understand that aspect well enough to say what. Exactly he's doing.

In any case, I greatly look forward to your observations!

• Baller
As he exits the course through the gates he does a very cool yet not so subtle "cut the rope" motion with his right arm that seemed to double as a "video cut" motion....or perhaps it was meant to suggest how he just karate chopped the crap out of that pass...Hard to say, please send Kilo Kai

I still don't think his Vision is merely a "subtle" thing. So it's surely not the answer Bruce is seeking.

But, it IS what stands out the Most to me. As, he does demonstrate the deliberate use of Visual Ques Very Well! These ques are a Huge part of his stability and positioning.

Pylon, Shore, Ball line and repeat...

The body always follows the Head. (but, the Head does not have to follow the eyes.) Matthew makes a deliberate move to insure his Body follows his visual ques.

• Baller
@Bruce_Butterfield I've been following the parent thread to this topic and the correct answer, along with your explanation was enlightening. . Thanks, I learned something that will be a benefit. When I have one thing to concentrate on my skiing improves dramatically, you should get what you ask for, in my humble opinion.

• Baller
@drago This thread is referring to the thread in the Advanced Topics category titled "Subtle but very important technique", started by Bruce Butterfield. This thread here was started because us mortals are not allowed to post in the Advanced Topics category. You, however, should be allowed to post there. I would hope that anyone who skis into 41 has the right to discuss advanced topics...

• Baller
My first thought is to stay up and open in the gate turn while staying in alignment moving my hips and shoulders inside the carving arc. As the line gets tight ideally I’m trying to move my mass ahead with my hips and knees as my shoulders stay open and I try to apply as much pressure as possible on my trailing arm(left arm) into one ball. The rest happens naturally all on it’s own. You can see the ski accelerate as soon as the second hand gets back on the handle and pressure is applied. If you try to apply pressure on the lead arm(right arm into one ball) you will not get the same acceleration as your body becomes static and is not able to be dynamic. Unfortunately, as the line gets shorter this becomes harder and harder to execute unless your last name is Smith. Trailing arm pressure is the most efficient and effective way to ski, it’s just that none of us were taught this and when we do try it, it usually is not done correctly. I figure if I can perfect it at 32, then I could do it on 5 out of 6 turns at 35, 4 out of 6 at 38, 3 out of 6 at 39..etc…

• Baller
in my work i design and build adaptive devices for occupational rehab clients, so i have to have some understanding of the mechanical functions of the human body to succeed. if i could post in the advance topics i would say that the trailing arm pressure makes a lot of sense from a bio mechanical aspect.

• Administrators
Skiers wanting to post in advanced topics need to fill out their profile all the way. There is no reason you can not post your comments outside of Advanced Topics.

@Horton, I do not understand.

If filling out your Profile is the key, then why are there "Advanced Topic Members" who's Profile is Not completely filled out?

How does one's profile affect or qualify the Member to be able to contribute to helpful or positive Advanced Topic discussion?

Sorry, maybe it's just too early in the morning and I'm not thinking clearly yet...