pro lock gloves

Fatroll

• Baller_
If your going the way of clincher style gloves.. 3 suggestions. Try different diameter handles with them (I prefer smaller). Give them some time..takes some getting used to. Last..buy Radar Vice (clincher style) gloves...far superior in construction, fit and comfort IMO. I've used this type for as long as Clichers were around and wont go back. Do a search on this site. There are other threads on this.

• Baller
@Fatroll Unfortunately, I have to agree 100 percent with @Wish. This kills me, cause I hate it when we agree. The Vice clinchers are the best and once you get used to them, you don't even think about the releases on each ball. They last longer than anything else out there as well. The handle is also a key issue. By going smaller on the diameter, your gloves make a tighter connection and work more effectively. Good luck.

• Baller
I tried the Vice and could not get over the thickness and length of the strap. It continually got in the way, folded sideways when I got back on the handle and never really conformed into the palm in a way I was used to. The Masterline strap is more akin to the Clincher IMO and works well. Over the past year, Masterline has improved the overall durability of the glove to where it is comparable to others in the marketplace. I did like the way the Vice fit overall although I had to upsize to an XL due to how Radar sizes their gloves.

• Baller

When you get 'em rough up the strap just a bit with sandpaper where it will be contacting the handle...otherwise a bit slippery first use. If hanging up in release momentarily, try different diameter or remove the dowels.

I love 'em. Great grip, really protect your hands like no other.

• Baller

+1 for handle diameter being a consideration.

Prior to using Goode PowerGrip, Radar, and MasterLine Clincher style gloves for three years, I was using a 1.062" diameter handle. With the Clincher style gloves, I went smaller and smaller, finally settling on a .940" diameter MasterLine handle ... and I have extra large hands. This year I've gone back to regular gloves, and had to increase my handle size back to at least a 1.062" diameter handle.

• Baller
Masterline is my choice, tried the radar's but did not like them as well. Had issues with the strap rolling on the radar's and wearing holes on the palm. On a good note Radar was easy to work with when returning the damaged gloves, they are a quality company I just prefer the Masterlines. I also use a really small handle.

• Baller

Hi @fatroll , I use both and they both work really well - as mentioned before the vice are a slimmer fit, but don't go larger than your usual size as the strap length is critical.

One thing you need to watch for is not to buy last years gloves - both companies made some batches with the straps about 3cm too long (with them on you could almost straighten your hand fully - fingers should be more like 70-80deg to the vertical). Randy at master line admitted the problem in an email to me and offered to sort but despite a number of emails nothing came of it. Last week I was in a shop trying on a new batch of "vice" - compared them with last years (still on sale) and no comparison - 3cm difference. Shop owner said " yes radar knew there was a problem and have sorted it for this year"

I can understand why the shops still have them for sale - but don't really understand why the companies didnt withdraw them - they are expensive gloves after all.

My pairs from last year had to be cut and restitched to work properly.

• Baller
I just got a pair of vices but have not tried them on water yet, I usually have a tight medium glove but these I had to go lg they feel great doing dry land stuff my prior glove was a radar lock.... 3 pairs I blasted thru, loved em

• Baller
Sounds like I got a pair of Vice's that were to long. @Deep11 That was exactly what my problems, strap was way to long. I tried to tell them that over the phone, they refunded my purchase with no problems. May give them a try this year.

Used clinchers for many years and when they went defunct, I bought 4 pair of Prolocks two yrs ago, was afraid they would not continue production and am hooked (ya I know) on this style glove. I really like the Pro locks and am still on the first pair, ski yr round so these gloves get 12 months a yr use. +2 on Prolocks but in fairness, have not tried the Vice gloves. I use the .888 Masterline handle.

• Baller
I actually use both and like both for many different reasons. I have gone to using the Radar Vice with dowels taken out. They seem to be less cluncky that way and still provide the same amount of force transfered to the fore arms; but, with better feel on the handle. I use a Medium in the Vice and a Small in the Prolocks; I like them very tight. They both wear out; but, in different ways....so I would consider the quality and durability equivalent. I have had the strap break on me during use with both brands. I NEVER!!!!! had a Clincher glove strap fail....EVER!!!

I've used nothing but the MasterLine Pro Locks exclusively since mid 2009 and I will never use another pair of gloves as long as these are available. They did go through a period where the strap got to long which made it a bit difficult to release from the handle into your preturn. The positive is that they have fixed the issue they had with the length. They were willing to shorten the length of the strap for me when I asked them to. I currently use a .940 handle and the straps on my Pro Locks are about 5.25" long. I have personally never had a pair fail and love these gloves. I've held on to some pretty crazy stuff and been able to run the pass.

• Baller

Thank you everyone for your input. Much of this, like everything in slalom, seems to be personal preference. I tend to palm the handle. My hope is that with gloves like this it can reduce the beatings my hands take. Any concerns with letting go or releasing the handle , such as stress on elbows, shoulders or back?

Thanks

Fatroll

• Baller

I went to the Pro Locks to protect my hands which got torn up very easily and they have been a huge help. I haven't had any more issues than normal with my elbows, shoulders or back. I tried on the Vice but couldn't find a pair that fit properly. I will say that the current Pro Locks run really large. The first pair I bought were size Medium and fit great. I bought a pair last year in medium and they were too large. I just bought a new pair in small and they fit like the mediums.

If anyone wants a deal on a pair of current medium Pro Locks that have only been worn a few times I will make you a good deal.

• Baller
@chef23 what other gloves have you been using and what size? I was always in Medium HO gloves but have been using small 41 tails for a few years now and love them, fit perfectly, but I want to try the Vice or ProLocks. wondering what size to go...... TIA

• Baller
@killer I had been in medium or even large gloves before the ProLocks. If you are in small 41 tails you might even squeeze into XS ProLocks. I think the Vices run differently and I have yet to find a pair that fit me right.

• Baller

I plan to try a pair to have more options in case of hand problems.

What size do you recommend on pro locks?

I use XS in Master Curves but they are really small and hurt after one full set.

Have also Radar Strada size M that fits ok.

What size on kevlar liners?

Also, is there a prefeerd internet dealer for BOS members?

Thnxs for advice.

Brgds from a cold stockholm

Spring is late, still two feet of ice.............

Peter

• Baller

@gsm_peter I would try XS Pro-Locks if you can wear XS Master Curves I think they run a little bigger. I find I don't need the kevlar liners with the Pro Locks and I wore them religiously with the Masterline Curves.

For Masterline stuff @jdarwin has a pro shop through The Lakes at Cottonwood. http://www.lakesatcottonwood.com/cottonwood_shop.htm. I have bought stuff from him before and his prices are good. I am not sure about shipping to Sweden though.

• Baller

Hi Chef23

Thanks for the advice.

I will try a pair of XS even though they are really on the small side.

However, I will try to get Kevlar liners with my other gloves since I believe that my hands last a bit longer if I use different gloves.

Any hint on size here

I will ship to a friend in Dallas that will bring it next time he travels back home.

Swedish customs are not nice:

( (Product Price+Shipping+Insurance) * approx 5% custom) and then finally * 25% sales tax.

I bought a pair of radar vice gloves as a first pair of gloves amd after using a regular pair one time in the middle of the season theres no comparison. They relieve so much stress from your hands allowing you to pull way harder instead of bottlenecking all that pressure on your hands.

Anyone who is worried about being stuck on the handle is kidding themselves. Anyone worried about coordination grabbing the handle has a valid worry that can be fixed bt rapid handle grabs pulls releases and pulls with your eyes closed on dryland.

• Baller
As a suggestion, I would err on the larger size - since you don't have to worry about the glove "bunching up" in your palm. This also puts less stress on the other parts of the glove and in turn, the gloves last longer. I would recommend "smalls" in the case of the Pro Locks.

Fo sho jdarwin. I bought a pair of large gloves because i could spread my fingers better and they seemed to fit better. Sure enougj they stretched and got too loose. I could have had 3-4 layers of liners in them to work. Worse yet the top strap far exceeded the velcro. When i got mediums they felt restrictingly tight whenever i wasnt skiing but i never noticed it skiing. Further the medium gloves gripped so much better put way less stress on my fingers reduced blisters and gave me a much more consistent grip.

• Baller

@jdarwin

I took your advice since I am on the just between S and M.

I also added a pair of liners (one S and one M to find out what size I need)

I hope I now can alter between different gloves to save the hands for my June coached training.

Five days with 3-4 sets per day in salt water is plenty but I can just not stop skiing when I have the chance.

We still have some ice and it is 'new Ice all over' every morning.