Swiss Pro Slalom - Sunday, May 5th, 2024

Click Here for the webcast

“How it is made” the Baller Version / Radar Vice C

Horton

• Baller
I got to see the ski layup process just before Eddie left HO for Radar. He wasn't supposed to give any tours according to the receptionist but he did anyway. I would say from the vid that the process really hasn't changed. Eddie, I really appreciated the tour. Thanks again!

• Baller

Once the ski goes in the press, only the resin that the fibers can hold remains in the ski. Any fibers that may have been slightly missed should get the extra resin and everything else squeezes out. Even that short piece looks like it's lined up with the edge pretty well where all the others are overlapped and cut off afterwards. I'm guessing that short piece is more of a sacrificial layer for binding chafing more than an actual reinforcing layer that would change the ski characteristics.

Notice he squeegee's the resin in with the spatula and rubs with the other hand. When the cloth is fully saturated, it feels slick to the touch. When it can still hold a little more resin, your hand will drag across the cloth slightly. It's not really a "taught" practice but it's kind of a sanity check for the skilled technician. Just helps you confirm that the fibers have enough resin.

All and all, I'd say that process would be pretty consistent from ski to ski. He even used every drop of the premixed resin from the bucket. I know it's "handmade" but really there isn't that much that can change from ski to ski. For the DIYer, a vacuum bag process will accomplish the same thing but for mass production, the press is cheaper because there is less waste in consumeable materials and it's faster/easier.

• Baller

@Horton @MattP Something is wrong with IE. I couldn't view the video. Opening Chrome made the video visible.

Cool video! That looks a lot like how and where I build my skis - except for the clean spacious shop with lots of tools and skilled people. 900psi makes a much better looking finish than my 5psi. That fancy router thingy makes much more consistent edges than the beavers who gnaw mine.

I worry about the layup sequence shown on the video. I won't copy the layup and ski that ski.

There had to be more hidden in the Top Secret portions. Like the Steel Reserve they pour into the mold...

Kudos to Eddie for sharing with us. And nice video Horton - except the sound. I heard some reference to my skis or was that background noise?

Eric

• Baller
I worked at Kidder Skis in the early 80's, it was interesting to see the lay up process hasn't changed a whole lot but the materials are radically different. The old "Red Line Graphite" had a single piece of carbon fiber that was about two inches wide and was less than half the length of the ski from the tip to the mid section.

• Baller

Very cool video, but honestly I kinda wish I didn't know. We fret about 1/1000" on a fin, and some (admittedly very skilled) dude is slapping layers together by hand!

TANGENT! I work at Cognex, which does industrial machine vision. One of the (easier) tasks we were involved with was the machine that assembles Milano cookies. With a modern vision system and modern assembly technology, it's possible to align the top and bottom cookies to (much) better than the consistency of the cookie shape. But if you do that, it LOOKS like it was assembled by a machine. So the machine is designed to intentionally add a randomize angle angle error so that it appears to have been put together by a person!

• Baller

@Waternut My molds work on a pressure bladder system. I don't use vacuum bagging. My 5psi limit works quite well to yield a reasonably dry laminate, not stress the mold too much and not change the mold's shape. This allows me to use softer tooling which is quite easy to change to accomodate the crazy R&D ideas that I enjoy. I am not trying to build a market ready product - I'm playing with materials, layups, rockers and shapes for fun. The fact that some of my skis perform incredibly well is a nice side effect.

@Horton Geez, enjoy the flavor (in moderation) of one Steel Reserve and I'm marked for life. There is a place for alcohol when I work - as a solvent! I'm smart enough to keep my personal alcohol consumption isolated from any meaningful task. Perhaps some of the ideas I try were alcohol assisted but none of the builds were.

@Than_Bogan Those slapped layers have much less effect than you can imagine. The structure and finish on those skis is quite rigidly laid out and the resulting product is more consistent than the water conditions at your lake. My hand shaped skis may have variations that can be felt but I've done a reasonable job copying a few good traits between skis. Of course, .001 has no real effect on your skiing either.

Eric

• Administrators

@eleeski "The fact that some of my skis perform incredibly well is a nice side effect." you mean your trick skis?

This is the only phrase that everyone will remember "Perhaps some of the ideas I try were alcohol assisted"

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators

@Than_Bogan

The variance that you think you see is extremely minor. Yes, hand layup is not sexy but it is effective. The pressure in the press squeezes out a lot of resin. The exact temp, pressure and time in the mold are key to making skis consistent.

If you have ever cut a ski in half you would see that the composite skin is very thin. There is no space for extra resin. I am not sure of the exact resin content of the skin but there is not much extra in there. If a ski company does screw that up and lets the resin content get too high the ski will SUCK.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

Thnx @Horton

I really enjoy this film.

If there will be any other possibilities I would love to read more on 'how things are done'

For example:

- how the handle, rope and knots are done?

- Wetsuits?

- Bindings?

- Fins?

- you name it!

• Baller

Very cool to see how the ski is laid up.

@horton, the handle idea is cool. I would like to see that one also. Don't Brenda, Masterline, US gear, all hand string right here is the good ole USA :)