Correct Craft 200 vs Centurion Carbon pro

dk7500

We are in the process of looking for a new club boat, and we are looking for facts on the differences between the Correct craft 200 vs the Centurion Carbon pro. not looking for bios opinion but more in the way of fact. for example drive-ability has any one annualized boat path, boat roll or boat lean with skier load, witch boat will be the easiest to maintain a ideal boat path? motor rpm @ 34mph? fuel usage per pass at 34mph? the wake- is there any facts on wake height, shape or hardness at different speeds and line lengths Is there a difference in where and how much the ski is displaced when crossing the wake? etc.??? thanks Lonny

• Baller

No doubt in my mind after spending significant time in both. The 200 is by far the boat I'd want if I wanted to be able to put someone in that I didn't know to drive me. It has rock solid tracking. The CP is a world class boat but it moves around a LOT. And the driver is required to be actively engaged. With the 200, pretty much anyone can pull a straight enough path for most skiers.

Both boats use PCM drivetrains so the service will be about the same. The CP will use less fuel and have lower rpm. Wake is a wash between them.

• Baller_

Both products sport PCM engine packages, Service procedures will be the same between the two.

I guess I would be looking at the two as an investment as it is a club boat! bottom line is what will the depreciation be between the two when it comes time to move it!

Both do the exact same thing! Both will be tournament capable.

Plus. Nautique has a proven track record and is known to hold it's resale value.

Centurion will be substantially less in price.

Minus. Centurion not so well accepted in the tournament world, only because their are not that

many in service at this time.

Nautique. Pricey yet will have a strong percentage resale value at least in today's market.

Six of one half a dozen of another! Yet I would lean towards the Nautique! Better looking boat by far!

• Baller_

To me, it would be a $$ decision. How long will you keep it? how many hours per year? 3 event?

The CP will be cheaper.

The wakes are about the same at all lines and speed and most say the trick wake on the CP will be better.

The CP will get more pulls per gallon

The 200 will drive much better.

The 200 looks better.

The 200 is a Nautique.

Not sure of the price but here is a 2010 with only 64 hours.

http://www.sonwatersports.com/used-boats/2010-Ski-Nautique-Open-Bow.html

• Baller

It's fairly easy to figure out from a dollar and cents stand point.

1. Initial purchase price. If new to new, aprox. $54K to $39 K i.e. $15K diff

2. One year old, Pro Mo to Pro Mo 47K to 30 K $17K diff

3. How long are you going to keep boat?

4. How many hours will you put on per year?

5. In the long run, believe it or not, the cost will be close to the same.

6. Nautique you have the enjoyment of owning and skiing behind the best tournament ski boat in the world.

7. Nautique anyone can give you a good pull

8. Nautique When it is time to sell, you will have a much bigger potential buyer base, and boat will sell for right price.

9. Nautique Closed Bow, passenger seat, can sit two big adults three med. to small adults.

10. I know a guy who has been trying to sell his CP for 18 months. Just can't find a buyer, he keeps dropping the price, but still can't sell it.

11. I've heard, that the CP has a Coast Guard approved passenger capacity of 3 people. ( not 100% sure this is true, but if it is. Good Luck selling the CP

12. CP the boat is great to ski behind at all speeds.

13. You kind of Pay Now, or Pay later. with the Nautique you will have a greater initial investment, however, terrific resale, and most importantly, enjoyment of skiing behind and driving a Nautique 200.

• Baller

I am researching the feasibility of me being able to afford a new Nautique 200 in the next few years. I like the closed bow over the open bow(less vinyl to take care of) and I prefer driving a closed bow. The only options I would want on the bare bones base model are, maybe the ZR409, Zero Off, heater, dripless packing gland, and the base stereo. If I shell out the bucks for a new one it will be the last boat I ever buy for the rest of my life. I will primarily use it for slalom, tricks, kneeboarding, and barefooting. I may pull an occasional wakeboarder. I see on the build your boat part on the nautique website that you have a choice between the recreational prop and the tournament prop. Anyone know how each of them affects the boat's handling and acceleration? I have heard arguments over the EX343 and the Zr409 that the EX343 is underpowered. A friend of mine has told me the Ex343 is not even close to being underpowered. Any thoughts?

Based on my experience with my 1994 Nautique having 1680 hours on it, and only missed a couple hours of boating due to the failure of the original alternator at 1000 hours. We bought the boat brand new and that was the only downtime it ever had 19 years.3 hours on a saturday afternoon to drive up to the marina to pick up an new alternator and install it. Based on that experience, and my observations of other brands I would have a hard time changing to a different brand besides a Ski Nautique. The closed bow nautique I think would be the easiest to maintain because it has the least amount of vinyl.

• Baller
I have only skied behind a Carbon Pro. Liked it. Since we also use our boat for entertaining a full back seat is a must. That is the only part I would change on the Carbon Pro, and make a snap in carpet available. I don't know enough about the Carbon Pro to say if would buy one or not.

• Baller
Go with Nautique - just not that pea green in the "Wife Failed" thread. How did the wife fail anyway? Seems like the skier gotta a good glimpse of the boat color, thought WTF, then went OTF. Oops - I should ask that in the other thread.

• Baller
While I Love My CC200 6L Team Edition, I really feel the CP is one sweet boat..I know I will be paying for mine till I die...For the price difference, that boat is hard to beat..I was really impressed the first time I saw it and got to ski behind it.

• Baller
For club use the CP is hard to beat, no carpet to get dirty and moldy, large swim platform, innovative Bimini, wake as good or better than 200. Centurion has the best acceleration to 34 or 36 that comes in handy on short setups. Our CP at LaPoint Ski Park drives great and is available for anyone who would like ski or drive one. Let me know. Kids love the wake at slower speeds and long line

• Baller
I have owned both a 200 and a Carbon Pro. Based on your inquiry, I will avoid the "resale" topic (which is bogus - it's cost of ownership that you should consider) and focus on the attributes of both. The 200 is much easier to drive thru the course. It is truly idiot proof. The CP can be a handful at times but if set up properly (rudder filed/weighted), tracks fairly well. I've driven other brands that were not set up properly and did not track as well. It's all about the set up. Fuel consumption is much less w/ the CP - about 30% less. Both have the same PCM power train which is a plus for the CP considering the cost of entry. As for ease of maintenance, the CP wins hands-down. The rubber flooring is perfect for a ski club environment. Hose it out and you are done. As for skiers, they love both boats. Again, if you have a driver that is accustomed to the CP, the feel is actually a bit better (softer) than the 200. I don't think you can go wrong with either. They both perform as advertised.

• Baller
I'd throw the TXI in the mix for the right deal, good boat and Malibu has a great name for resale. I ski quite a lot with an LXI and its been used and abused and still going. If your not in hurry it be interesting to see how the 2014 MC's ends up. 08 ps197 is what I've ski on most lately and that is a solid well built boat.

• Baller
If both are using the same PCM powertrain, why the huge difference in fuel consumption? Is the hull that much lighter? I may be missing something obvious, but it's after 4:00 and the coffee has worn off.

• Baller

What is the durability of the SeaDek in the CP?

Granted I leave my boat in the sun and uncovered a fair amount but I have hydroturf in my boat which is also EVA foam like SeaDek but a different pattern. For me it's nice, soft, and non-slip but a PITA to keep clean. I have to scrub dirt and mildew off of it every month or two. If someone with a white bathing suit sits on my engine cover a few weeks after I scrubbed it, they have a dirty diamond pattern on their butts. If someone gets their ski fin too close to the edge, it'll cut the turf and all the sharp wakeboard fins (I know, I know) will cut it really fast. I've got 2 seasons (maybe 300 hours) on my boat since I put hydroturf on the the swim platform and it's pretty beat up and may not last a 3rd season.

• Baller

I have same question as @GAJ0004

Our club should (I hope) start to look into a new boat and since the $ is low compared to the Sek a purchase in US can save us a lot.

Gas price is a huge costs for us (now it has gone down slightly to approx 9 USD/Gallon).

Hence we should really consider mileage (also for the environment)

@GregDavis

The price mentioned above of 39 K USD was that a typical price for a new Carbon Pro with the EX343 and ZeroOff and what is needed for normal club water skiing?

The hole in your pocket in Sweden would be around 77 K USD (including everything)

Note that the CP has substantial lower weight in Sweden compared to US.

Bets me =0)

http://www.centurionboats.se/carbon-pro.html 953 kg in Sweden

http://www.centurionboats.com/carbon-pro.html 1270 Kg in US

Brgds

Peter

The CP is rated for 5 or 915lbs. I have no idea how you are supposed to get one at $40 something. I had no promo boat pricing just called the dealer up and did the best I could. Base model was in the lower 50's. I might have gotten screwed but the boat is in the garage.

If you will dig around a little bit, the 2011 CPs are advertised at 2100 lbs. The 2012 and 2013's are listed at 2800 lbs. Did they change something?? The big three boats are all listed around 2800. I am personally leaning toward the CP at 2100. Based mostly on the tow home, the boat just felt light. Much lighter than the MC it replaced.

Thanks for all the feed back. but to be clear I'm not concerned about price, or resale, i can figure that out my self, but I'm looking for more in the way of facts and figures on motor rpm @ 34mph? and with what prop? fuel usage per 6 or 8 pass set at 34mph? etc.and with what prop?

Here is a copy of my original post:

drive-ability has any one annualized boat path, boat roll or boat lean with skier load, witch boat will be the easiest to maintain a ideal boat path? motor rpm @ 34mph? fuel usage per pass at 34mph? The wake- is there any facts on wake height, shape or hardness at different speeds and line lengths Is there a difference in where and how much the ski is displaced when crossing the wake? etc.??? Thanks Lonny

• Baller

The CC200 has a wonderful slalom wake and handling. The wake is not small - it is fun for tricks - but it is soft. It was carefully engineered for that. Some of those features add weight and drag - with a significant fuel economy penalty. The trick wakes are big enough but they are very flat. With proper technique, you can get used to the wake. The table is a bit choppy but skiable.

The Centurion is a simpler hull with a tiny wake. Women and lighter skiers seem to love it for slalom. For slalom I found the wakes tiny at 32off but the pull seemed stiffer than my MC at C3. I didn't get to experiment with settings and it was not the latest version of ZO. I found the wakes too small for tricks but I didn't get to play with ballast. The wakes were very clean, shaped well and steep enough for my tastes. The table was fairly good. Regardless of the exact weight, the cleaner hull with enough area to get a light loading on the hull (as evidenced by the small wake) should be more fuel efficient.

Sorry if this is not exact rpms and fuel burns. But if you are going to use the boat for anything else (like tricks) an appraisal of the slow speed performance is called for. While neither is my favorite, both could be reasonable trick or wakeboard boats with the right ballast setup.

Why no consideration of MC or Malibu? Either of these boats will give top quality pulls as well. I'm a bit mad at CC for thinking of tricks as an afterthought in their previous design so between the choices, I'd get the Centurion. But I own and train behind a Mastercraft - my final vote.

Eric

• Baller

Our lake has 2 club boats...a CC200 and a CP. LaPoint Ski Park also has a CP. I'll probably put 30 - 40 sets on the CP this year and the rest on the CC200.

@SkiKolb might be a little overzealous in that the CP wake could be "better" than the 200, but it is outstanding.

Most of the CP assesments are spot on...but I think one thing that is important to note - we drove a 2013 CP at Transition Watersports in Leesberg, FL and they have made some improvements that greatly improve the handling / tracking of the boat.

IMHO, there is less of a need to rely on weighing the boat, filing the rudder, etc.

In fact, we use the ballast tank on a very limited basis at LaPoint Ski Park.

An overuse of ballast and extra weight can cause the wake behind the CP at slower speeds and longer line lengths to be hard - note...not bigger, just firm. Otherwise, it is exceptional.

Also of import, is the setup time of your lake.

We timed the CP from 0 - 34mph in 5.9 - 6.0 seconds fairly consistently.

I've never timed the CC200, and while the holeshot has plenty of torque, I would think it would be a little slower out of the gate with the larger wetted surface.

So if anyone skis 36mph, a CP could be a better choice if setup time is an issue.