When to call it quits on a new ski

PatM

• Baller
Been skiing on a new ski since May 14th. It has been a struggle. Some good sets, some bad. A little tweaking and it just does not feel right yet, getting better, but not right. I'm not going to say what ski it is because some people love it and a ski is a personal feel for the individual. My question is when do you call it a day and move on to another ski? I usually run 35 90% of the time on my old ski(now broken) and I'm down to under 50%. And when I run it its a struggle.

• Baller
Not that I can help but I don't see the harm is posting what the ski is either. There was a guy on here just recently who said he doesn't like his Strada. I still love mine and wouldn't think any less of it if you said you hated it.

• Baller
@MattP It is a Nano One 65.25. Stock settings with wing at 10 degrees. Tried with wing at 9 and it did not turn on my onside. At 10 the ski turns well on both sides, but it is a lot of work to get out to the balls. I also find that after my turn on my offside it is hard to keep the ski in the water- riding the tail- I've never had this problem. There are times it works and other times it doesn't feel right. Again I hate to knock the ski because it works well for others. Sorry no video.

• Baller

If it came out of the box with factory specs and within a few sets if it is not close to working after a few minor tweaks, probably not the ski for you.

Usually, when I got a good ski, it felt good right away, and only added a couple thousandths of tip or depth, etc, but only shows up on difficult passes. Should be killing your opening passes and have some good strengths that work for you, ie., holds angle,and you are early but tip pops up or blow the tail out, or turns like a beast but rolls off edge a little. Those things you can fix. If the flex pattern or bevels don't suit your style, it will be a long summer.

I have been on a new ski for almost a year.After spending the $ on ski and bindings I have to make it work.

It's getting better but not what I was hopping for.

I know how you feel. good luck.

• Supporting Member

In all honesty I'm not gonna be that surprised if its not the ski for you. The one thing my N1 absolutely refuses to do is slam a turn. It has a preprogrammed radius and if I mess with that bad things happen. If you remember from my review I noted one style that I thought might not benefit from this ski, and I was thinking of you!

That said, binding placement is more important than anything on the N1, so I'd try small moves in each direction before you give up. If that doesn't get you smoking 35s in a hurry, move on.

• Administrators

Last thing before you give up. ... call Goode ask for Dave and see if he gives you different settings.

When i got my current N1 I could not make it work. Miller moved everything and I matched my PB next ride.

• Supporting Member

One other thing Pat: While I was dialing mine in, I don't recall any setting where -35 was a real struggle. There was one place that was clearly wrong, but even then I was able to force my way through if I didn't fall. In some other spots certain things maybe felt weird or non-ideal, but that mainly manifested at -38.

Obviously you know that you and I have almost identical skill level, so I wouldn't give it much longer if you don't start feeling good at -35 real soon. I do agree with the ideas above, though, for one last shot at making it work for you.

• Baller

Ski,s and how they feel to every individual, is a very personal thing, people who ski in a very technical way, find it easier to accommodate various skis, I tried almost every ski out there, and struggled, even with a little bit of tinkering, I could not find the feel I was looking for, and I had spent some dollars along the way, but it came to the point where I was not enjoying my skiing, so it was time to move on, to my joy I discovered the Mapple, I knew straight away that it was the ski for me and now enjoy skiing again.

If you are no longer enjoying your skiing Move On.