Not a whole lot of incentive

rodltg2

• Baller

I a still new to the tournament thing, but how I see it under the current structure, there is no real incentive for beginners or intermediate skiers to participate. For example I am in M3 and at my skill level 15-28, have no real shot anything other than last . Don't get me wrong I am having fun and plan to participate anyway, but I feel not many other skiers at my level do.

It seems to me divisions by age alone is silly. The grass roots is a good idea, but there a very few of them and it doesn't count towards anything. Why couldn't it be similar to BMX . There are 4 classes . Novice , Intermediate, Expert and Pro.

• Supporting Member

I don't think this logic holds up. There's no "incentive" for anyone to participate! I could win a local tournament, but that gets me nothing. And I could qualify for Regionals/Nationals, but I expect to do the former in one tournament and the latter in three. And anyhow that just allows me to go to two more tournaments that also don't "mean anything."

The reasons to participate in tournaments are more like (in no particular order):

1) Meet more and better skiers. This is a HUGE way to get better. Non-tournament skiers really under-estimate this benefit.

2) Measure yourself in an official setting.

3) Socialize with others who have the same disease.

• Baller_
@rodltg2 - think of it as a couple of sets behind the current towboats, with a good driver/boatpath and crew, and usually in a setting you may not otherwise be able to ski at, throw in the ability to meet new people that share you interest/addiction, and what @than_bogan said

• Baller

I'm a total duffer when it comes to tournaments. I am consistently at the bottom of my age division, but most folks are unconcerned with my status. In fact no one ever seems overly concerned with the weekend's best score. Most folks are there to compete against themselves and have a great time.

I ski tournaments for all the reasons mentioned above. It's a fantastic way to ski cool sites, meet awesome humans, and collect invaluable nuggets of technical information. I only wish I hadn't been so intimidated by them all these years and had made them a summer priority decades ago.

• Baller

@rodlrg2 I'd agree with the comments above regarding the "incentive" to participate. I work to qualify for regionals/Naionals and that's a personal incentive that I enjoy. It's really fun when you can be directly involved with some of the higher profile events and accomplishments (like records) even if your name isn't on the record. It's also equally motivating to be part of anyone's PB or milestone.

If I read between the lines correctly what you're really saying is there's little incentive to compete! There have been many discussions about ability based groupings (rather than age), handicapping, etc. I would wholeheartedly agree that the competitive juices get flowing when there's a chance you can win "something" or anything!

While the raw score is the only thin USAWS cares about (needing to be submitted) there's ample opportunity to get creative locally and experiment with a few ideas to get competition back into competitive waterskiing. Get/stay involved locally and discuss some options. In the meantime it's good to know you're competing against your peers and have the ability to ski "competitively" until you're a very old man.

• Baller
I'm last place M5 skier in most all the tourneys I enter. Doesn't bother me a bit! I have a blast at tournaments for all the reasons other posters have outlined above. There are a few others at my ability level. The "hacker" club, we ski for a beer. Any scores into -35, and your out of the club! Fun stuff. All my "friends" are skiers, and I met most of them at tournaments. We have a very tight group here in NYS.

• Baller

Also tournaments put a little pressure on you to go out and ski a set at the best of your ability and compare how you are progressing. Hard to do in practice, because we will run a couple of back to back passes or may miss and then shorten, not always ski down the line. I don't compare myself to others scores, just if I feel I'm improving under controlled conditions. Plus it makes us ski in conditions we might not do as a non tournament skier. Very easy to say, oh it's a little windy, I wait to ski.

Also if you want ability based tournaments, INT has them in the general area (Redding, CA).

• Baller

I get it and that's why I choose to participate. But as @jipster43, I wish I started earlier as well. I chose not too and probably would have never entered a tournament if I hadn't joined a club that hosted them. My prior club did not.

I think its just a hard sell to newbies. There is always a lot of talk about growing the sport. Keeping the the divisions by age will not help. If USA WS wants doesn't want the sport to grow , leave it as is.

• Baller_
one of the ways to "mix it up" is to run your class C event in a "never-made" format, which mixes up the age groups into speeds/line length groupings, it's a little more work for the organizers, but not a big deal IMO and a nice change from the typical M1-M10, W1-10, Boys/Girls standard groupings

• Baller_
I remember skiing out of "Novice" back in the day. It was an ability based division only..all ages. We all skied together. I think just a boat judge was all that was needed. Once you hit a benchmark (not sure how it was calc but diff for each age), you were then devided by age and skied with the big boys/gals. That was a big day for me. Still have the plaque proudly displayed. Not sure why that was done away with. I see "Fun" divisions run in tournaments which I think is great. 4 passes regardless at less cost. Been great for my daughter. But, like stated above, it would be nice to see a benchmark to shoot for at longer lines and perhaps slower spreads. Couple that with all @Than_Bogan said and you really have something.

Hacker Rules for more enjoyment

1. You are always competing against yourself or previous PB

2. Showing your kids how to lose.......IE don't make excuses, lay blame or attitudes.

3. Everyone is a loser...just shorten the rope.

4. Make preparing for a tourney Imaginarly importance....IE skiing more (exercise) that is fun.

5. Know one really cares what you run because when your on the water your just in everyones way and that goes for everyone except family.

6. Be a judge or driver.

If it really bothers you to be in a no win situation there is the INT. But really how would it feel about winning with a stacked deck. There are the green lighting tournies that make every team member score important. If your team wins the whole team gets the spoils (cheese balls or tootsie pops) Then you have to run a couple sets to burn them calories. Or you could go to sites knowone knows you and start at 38 off and act like it's a fluke you missed it.

Being around good skiers will improve your skiing by all the perks. Also good deals on boats and ski equipment. Some are like ******* ski one set on a ski and sell it cheap.

Just have fun, bring plenty of Beer, enjoy skiing at a variety of sites you might not get the privilage to ski if you wasn't entered in thier tourney.

• Baller
Not sure it's really fare to say that USAWS should change to ability based divisions or else it's a sign they don't want to grow the sport. I'm sure there are a lot of people who are perfectly happy with age-based events, like myself, and I'd bet a significant portion of their current members. As others have mentioned, there is already an ability based alternative in the marketplace that people are free to ski in. If they were what everyone wanted then everyone would be skiing in the INT. Different strokes ...

• Baller

@rodltg2

I hear you, and can relate as a fellow 15-28 hacker. My wife and I are traveling to our first tournament this weekend since we were on our college team.

After we finished with the college team we didn't see a lot of reason to go to tourneys. They were often far away, expensive (we were both still in grad school), and we were not very good. So we were content to plop our boat in the lake and ski our course with our boat with our friends.

Last year we joined a club that hosted tournaments and skied in our clubs tournaments, our first since collegiate tournaments. It was not what we expected and we really enjoyed it. We have since had to move, changed clubs, but will be traveling to a few tournaments this year.

The reason we enjoyed the tournaments last year are for many reasons described by others above. I was never sold on the idea of competing against myself, you can do that in practice. So the idea of going to 'compete' when I knew there was no real competition (I was going to get my butt kicked) AND I had to PAY for it? Ridiculous.

BUT, as I said, I was pleasantly surprised and hopefully you will be too.

You will meet people who are not that interested in talking to you because of your skill level, ignore them. You will meet people who have been friends since they were 5 and grew up competing against each other, pick their brain. Get some people and go out for beers when things are over.

I don't know if we are going to become national competitors or want to enter a tournament every weekend but we are going to give it a go and see what happens. I think more people should.

Long-story short, stay positive, keep an open mind, let the buoys fall where they may. You may be as pleasantly surprised, as I was, and want to keep going back just to get beat by the other guys opening pass.

• Baller

Like I posted earlier I get it I enjoyed skiing tournaments Last year and I will ski probably a few more this year. I'm not the one who needs convincing .

Hey buddy I see you're coming along nicely on that 15 off pass .You should come out to our next tournament. It's only $50 and you get to ski two sets.

Oh by the way you have to sit out there all day and if you fall your turn is over . Which you surely will fall because the new boats have zero off and you have perfect pass .The boat Will not come back to pick you up so you have to walk up to half a mile back to the dock. It won't be much of a competition either because everyone else will be running 38 or shorter. But hey you'll be competing against yourself and meet lots of good skiers.

• Supporting Member

@rodltg2 Remind me not to hire you for a sales or marketing position...

Bottom line is that some people aren't interested in formal events. My dad is one of them. He feels shooting competitions take the fun out of it, even though he is likely good enough to win some local stuff in skeet. For anybody that it ain't their thing, no worries!

The only thing I want to emphasize to everyone is that skill level doesn't matter. If you are interested in formal events or any of the other benefits mentioned above, jump right in. If you're not, then it doesn't matter if you run 26 or -39.

For me, I wanted to "compete" in water ski tournaments the moment I realized they existed. I went and did my 30/32/34 for a season, and came in last at almost every tournament. But before I knew it I was getting a LOT better, which was exactly why I had gone in the first place. Unexpectedly, I made a lot of great friends along the way and even met a lot of the waterski elite. (In what other sport is it even possible to "compete" against the very best when you aren't one of them!?)

• Baller_

@rodltg Go to USAwaterski and pull up tourney scores, not everyone is into 38.

As for the time spent all day, get yourself hooked up to judge, score and drive. Meet and talk to people. Get advise on skis and tuning skis or help dock start. If you are not having fun, you have went to the wrong events.

The day would be much longer if the boat would stop to pick up skiers after they fall. We always try to have some kids in the golf cart to pick up the skiers that go down.

• Baller

@rodltg2 - I completely get what your saying and agree with you. When I first started doing AWSA tournaments after college I was coming in last place all the time. However, I still really enjoyed it and tried to simply ski against myself. I set some personal goals of qualifiying for regionals and then nationals and ended up progressing up through the ranks over the last 20 years. Now, I'm really glad I stuck with it and am getting my kids involved at a young age.

That being said, I think it takes a different kind of person to "ski against themselves" and not worry about what everybody else is doing. I think most people want to be right in the thick of competition one way or another and entering in waterski tournaments just to get your but kicked is not that fun for many people. I think AWSA should adopt a handicap system like golf so that everybody could compete against each other. It would be easy to do based off the ranking system. We could still keep the age group divisions, but wouldn't it be fun for all tournaments to post a handicapped standings for everyone in the tournament and give out prizes for the top three people? Matt Brandt has been doing that in his nor cal ski league and it's really fun. It also tends to make people pay attention to how everyone is skiing and may even get some people to hang around the trounaments after they ski.

• Baller

I love tournaments because they are so social. I've never been to one where I didn't meet and hang out with great people all day long, plus I get to ski (bonus)! I would be lying if I said I don't like the competition too, but for me it is competing against me. I'm out there to ski my best and, while it happens infrequently now, to get a PB. Honestly, there was more excitement when I was a newbie because I could almost get a PB at every tournament. Nowadays I want the PB just as much, but the bar is pretty high and the PBs don't come along as often. In fact, my tournament PB was in September 2007! I've done better in practice, but not quite gotten there in tournaments yet. Still having a great time!

I also love tournaments because they motivate my practice. They force me to do something more than just go out and ski without thinking and improving. Every time I hit the water I'm trying to do something to improve my skiing, whether or not I'm shortening the line that day. I find that process to be highly energizing, and one of the things that is so addicting about slalom skiing.

• Baller
I am not competitive in my division but I do love the formal competition and trying to beat my best when you only get one chance. I have missed my opener and had to hang out in the pick up boat before but I have met a ton of great people and have a blast hanging out at the tournaments. If you don't enjoy that aspect then tournaments aren't for you. You have to enjoy hanging around, meeting new people and trying your best in a competitive environment. It isn't for everyone and that is okay.

• Baller

I enjoy tourneys and a weekend of skiing at home as well. I'm not in a situation where I can travel the country chasing 'em as much as I would like to hit some of the truly special sites. I usually try to hit three, six round weekends (3 sat/3 sun) over the short MN summer. Six rounds is about all my body can take at this point over two days.

It's fun to ski with some pressure on a FANTASTIC site behind FANTASTIC driver's at the wheel of FANTASTIC boats. I also like to watch FANTASTIC skiers and learn from them when able. Fun to socialize with other skiers, too (this includes drinking beer and eating ribs). I tower judge and manage ropes at the starting dock.

One of the things I notice about "competition" at tournaments is that it seems to me no one is about "winning". When someone is on the water, to a person on shore (skier or non-skier), EVERYONE wants that skier to hit a PB. I know I do and I'm pulling for every last one of 'em whether they're shooting for their 1st complete pass, 15 off or 39 off. Back in the day the first 28 off 36 mph pass I made in a tourney I knew almost no one...I ran it and after I pulled out people were shouting on shore, standing and clapping. Very cool! The drivers love NOTHING MORE than to pull someone's PB, too!

Every time I've stuck a PB out there, nothing but high fives. Every time I've bombed, there are plenty of skiers who know exactly how that feels as well. Go ski a few...if it's not a great experience, find a different tourney and repeat annually.

• Baller
My all time PB was at a tournament, practice or tournament. Not sure why, better driver, nice site? I work weekends now so don't get to go but they are fun. I had started working on a driver rating many years ago, gave me something to do. Don't knock until you try it.

• Baller

I'm with you @rodltg2 , and although I understand the rationale behind getting out there and meeting people, competing, and setting a standard to be judged. from what I see, tournament participation in general has been on a massive decline for years. I'm sure some of these guys will tell me I'm wrong and I'm sure in some pockets its up, but most certainly not overall. Gotta love the desperate sales job a few are trying and I agree with what they're saying, but its not working.

What's the saying? "foolishness is doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result".. or something like that...

• Baller
In the few tournaments I've skied there have been no m1 ,m2 few m3 and then it starts to increase in m4 and m5. Then there alot of kids. So skiers got older , no new blood came in and now their kids are starting to ski tournaments.

• Baller

I don't think entries are down because there's anything fundamentally wrong with tournament skiing. I suspect it has a lot more to do with the explosion of other activities competing for the attention of active people, and the MTV generation's addiction to instant gratification. Plus, and this is a big plus, you don't have to ski in tournaments to enjoy skiing, meet skiers, motivate progress, or measure yourself.

The only sports enjoying meaningful growth are where there is big money to be made, TV glory to bask in, or where you have to participate in an event or you can't play (like motor racing).

All of which makes ski tournaments something quite special. Skiing in tournaments is completely optional, and as @rodltg2 so bravely points out, even irrational; so eveyone at a ski tournament is there for the deep, pure, simple love of the sport and to bond with people who share that passion.

• Baller
I too worry about the lack of M/W 1&2 skiers. We have a huge pipeline with collegiate skiing and many drop out when they get in the real world. Clubs need to make it easy for these kids to continue on or we won't have anyone to drive us when we are old!

• Baller

When it comes to doing tournaments and progressing, "incentive" has to come from within. In 1995 at 40 years old I bought a boat and a course after watching "Hot Summer Nights" ski tournaments on ESPN. Went to my first tournament and did not even run 15 off. Went to my second tournament and crashed going through the gates....0 score. The EP at the time to get to Nationals in M3 was 1/2 @ 38 off. Pretty tall order for any one not even making the course. I would watch guys at the tournaments in M3 run 35 off and developed a burning inside that I could do it. It is the journey, not necessarily the destination. And the journey has been fun, became a driver, judge, met some great people along the way. Have there been disappointments? Absolutely, but it is how quickly you get back up that counts. Trust me, if you can run 15-28 off now, with desire, determination and commitment, you can run 38 and beyond. Set your goal, work at it and surpass it....then set the bar higher. Good luck and ski hard. MWN

• Baller_
I do not believe that tourney participation is down at all. I thought I read that is is actually up and the number of tourneys is also up. M/W 1&2 has always had low numbers due to a number of factors.

• Baller_

@killer - I don't feel left behind at all, if some skiers don't want to attend tournaments that ok with me, because it's not for everybody. Dealing with the frustration that can come when you MOP, or ski poorly overall is something that some skiers can't handle, and being able to learn from negative outcomes at times with a smile on your face and a positive outlook builds character IMO

@rodltg2 I enjoy going to tournaments , and i don't even compete ask @horton how big of anomaly i am in the sport. I get to watch some good skiing and get my tan on and drink a beer or 2. Go out have fun and enjoy skiing and the company and maybe you will even set a PB

• Baller

Regardless of why folks may think tournament participation is down, the question is: do you want to change that? If so, consider basic supply/demand economics. What is the target audience of people who are currently not participating like in your area? What would attract them to participate? Is participation at that level priced at a point your market will bear? Can you lower costs for that target audience to get entry fees at a market rate?

Consider running GR/F or clinic in conjunction with Class C or E/L events. Get newbies on the water for less than $5 per ride down the lake and back. Cut costs on their event scope or simply subsidize them. Consider their skill level, add mulligans, consider adding more rounds (3, 4, or 5) to make entry fees make sense to them. Use older boats so as to not tie up promo boats. Use trained drivers (vs. asst. or above). Have a single asst judge running things from the boat. etc. Make sure these skiers are there when the Class C+ skiers are also competing. Get them to mingle. Invite them into hang out near a tower. Put them in the boat or on the starting dock to handle ropes.

You have to hand out a few "free" samples of the tournament skiing "crack" before you generate more addicts to come to your "corner". Some will bite hard, others will take a while to feel worthy of class C. Just consider their needs and you should see things improve.

• Baller
I wonder what a "guarantee of 4 passes" would do at regular C tournaments? I would not change consecutive scoring off the dock, but give participants more water time in front of an audience, which is what most people are looking for. I could envision people on the shoreline cheering on someone who only makes a couple buoys on their first few passes but then puts it together and runs a pass.... A lot of folks might have to change their thinking instead of just added time between rounds, but to look at it as a small investment in our sport.

• Baller
Tournament participation is through the roof at Predator Bay in Calgary this year, and nobody seems to know why. My best guess is that we've held a lot of tournaments over the past few years and members are finally starting to step up and participate in the action.

@ToddL Good marketing points, maybe USAWaterski & Mfg.'s should get more involved in the marketing end and doing end. Like advertisement fliers & doing clinics at marina's , sport shops, Schools and boat dealerships. Not just the big events but every tourney registered in the USAwaterski listing.

Bottom line is minimum access to slalom courses. The burden is all on the volunteers & clubs with no benefits for long hours hosting big tournaments. The liability & Ins. clubs are faced with on the heels of the new changes USAwaterski put on our Ins. The sport needs more Okaheelee's where any person can get a ride. How do you get involvement if people have no place to do it?????

I see Ohio has done some marketing like this. Were Mfg.'s our governing body heavily involved in this or was it typical nice guys of the sport do the majority of the work for free. The INT tried to do this, not sure how they are doing.

I have pondered a day care for kids @ the lake learning to ski and all the good things of hanging at the lake. To do something like this I would have to market, provide a good product and protect my assets. Why can't are governing body and Mfg's figure this out. Do we have bad leaders or is it just lack of interest and no money. I think there is money if we market it and do something about it.

• Baller

AWSA Slalom Participants, Nationwide

2005, M1, 239

2012, M1 258

2013 (as of June 18), M1 119

2005, M2, 254

2012, M2, 174

2013 M2, 97

2005, M3, 704

2012, M3 323

2013, M3 225

2005, M4, 717

2012, M4 535

2013, M4 368

2005, M5 226

2012, M5 419

2013, M5 351

2005, W1, 141

2012, W1 145

2013, W1 70

2005, W2 101

2012, W2 78

2013, W2 51

2005, B3, 198

2012, B3 170

2013, B3 125

2005, B2, 118

2012, B2 169

2013, B2 101

• Baller_

@MS. The participation stats can be had through USAWS BOD Reports that come out each year. How ever all one has to do is go on line and look at tournament results / scores and count the number of skiers that skied in any given tournament. Their are many tournaments that used to be full up entry wise now only barely having enough entry's to make it a tournament.

Another thing to consider is that the mind set of participants in "tournament's" have changed over the last 10-15 years. No longer are they skiing as a true one against the field but rather against a rankings list, At least until they get to a regional and national event.

"Back in the day" we used to ski mainstream tournament's for trophy's/medals and down right bragging rights. Today it is for rankings or records. We should re-name what we call our competition's from tournament to "Trials"!

Cost ($$$$) has become the leading component to why tournament participation has dwindled. Their are many many skiers right here in the USA that do not participate in tournament competition yet ski at a very competitive level. $60K for a ski boat! The cost of converting a ski boat to ZO! tournament entry cost! Gasoline! Association dues! Excessive rules and policy's that require truly un needed technology to run a tournament.

Want to make a difference and impact in the sport? Make it Grow? Want to see a true professional level where youngsters coming up can strive to achieve that level? Want to see true weekend competition? Make your voice heard at your state,regional and national meetings.

Their are many AWSA members across the country that have had it up to their wazoo over the sad performance of USAWS. Many AWSA members and AWSA Leaders are ready to pull the relationship of AWSA with USAWS, it will only take spark at this point to ignite a revolution and pull out of USAWS!

Until AWSA regains their own identity membership and entry numbers will continue to decline. We can no longer afford to feed the beast known as USAWS!

• Baller

Data: You can also go to the USAWS rankings list and select each division, then pick years to compare. Keep in mind the baby boomers have impacted all demographics when attempting to analyze timeline trends. The M3&4 / B3&B2 bubble I think are associated with Boomer generation's kids and grandkids.

@AB asked about 4-passes minimum per tournament round. Our club started doing that last year in our Novice/GR/F division. I never considered it for Class C, but I can't see why we couldn't. I'd probably start off with a specification of: Each skier will be scored off the doc like normal. If at the conclusion of the skier's first miss/fall, the skier has skied less than 4 passes through the course; then the skier will be pulled through the course again for "practice rides" at any speed/line length the skier desires until the skier has either falls again or has completed a total of 4 passes through the course for that round. Once the skier falls during the post-scoring "practice rides" the round has ended for that skier.

Most all of our novice skiers are struggling to run 1-2 passes under max speed. Having an opportunity to run up to 4 passes per tournament round would definitely entice more skiers to participate in tournaments. Pricing also factors into their decision to participate. I know a number of class c capable (running max speed) skiers who have access to a course who choose not to compete simply because they don't value the formal competition at the prices of the entry fees. Everyone values things differently and that is just some people's reality. Having those extra passes might bring them out.

Access to a course for training/learning is also a factor. Our club started offering ski sets at a very reduced fee on an every-other-week schedule, spread out across three local ski sites. It works out where each site is basically offering up lake time on a week night, once per month for three months. That is a total of 12 hours of lake time per site for the whole summer. This is new for us, so I can't confirm results in terms of tournament participation, but I think we are building more skiers who are getting hooked at their own pace.

• Baller_
In Michigan, we have several class C tournaments that also serve the novice skier (guaranteed minimum 4 passes). There is also a dimension to some of the tournaments called the Ability Series, where your tournament score is also grouped according to PBs. You ski against the group and get points for your placement in the group. There are medals at each tournament and, at the end of the season, overall winners in each group receive trophies and gift certificates to boat dealer proshops. It adds to the fun. The novice (4 pass guarantee) expires when you run your first full pass at your maximum speed, but the Ability Series allows skiers at all levels to compete in that using their score from the tournament.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

The problem with declining tournament participation is very complex and wide ranging. There are issues such as population and economic cycles, restrictions on waterways use, the wakeboarding boom and how that ruined many public waters, the corresponding move toward private lakes and the related visibility issues, and even the growth of ESPN from a small little cable outlet into a sports behemoth that buys the rights to the biggest sporting events in the world instead of our little ski tournaments.

It's not just one or even five things, its a bunch. I don't think USAWS has done anything particularly "wrong" per se to create the situations above, but I do believe they lack the urgency (or know how) to take decisive, broad action to reverse the current trend. They are probably completely overwhelmed and have no idea how to go about fixing it.

The use of blue ribbon panels is overblown in politics, but if they convened some sort of study committee or panel that included volunteers, industry members and marketing experts sitting side-by-side at least it would be a start. Just my two cents.