My Wife Wants a Ski

webbdawg99

• Baller

She learned on a wide bodied ski last summer. She has only skied a few times.

I want to find her something that

1. Fits her

2. Is beginner friendly

3. Is a good enough ski for her to start progressing in the slalom course.

Any suggestions are appreciated. She is 5'4" and weighs about 120

• Baller_

• Baller

I like the Lyric for,someome coming off an oversize ski. The Lyric is just a tad wider than the Strada and starts should be easier. I think having them make their starts is a big deal for confidence and FUN.

If you go the Strada route, get the next size up for her weight, as it would still be a fairly short ski, and wouldn't require as much effort on starts or accelerating.

One step at a time.

How is she with her deep water starts? If she is getting up every time on the wide body, wants to go faster, and is naturally competitive I'd say go with something like the Strada, or Vice. If she is getting up 70% of the time and is looking to get on the course, have fun, and spend time with you on the boat, I'd look at something a little wider, like the Lyric. You want her to be happy with her new ski, and if she has a hard time getting up, she's not going to like it....believe me I know.

I'd also recommend getting her some bindings that fit her feet well, are comfortable, and easy to get in and out of.

My wife uses a Connely F1X (shaped a lot like the Lyric) w/ Radar Vector bindings (small), she loves the setup.

• Baller

I was going to say that, but was not sure if older models were pink if you were looking at SIA.

They have gloves and vests to match, so if she is a fashionista, Lyric and accessorize all the way!

• Baller_
The older Lyrics are even more intricate in girly designs and colors. Personally I don't think you can find a better boot for that level as the Lyric with the feather frame and it looks fantastic IMHO.

• Baller

@webbdawg99

Skiing Wife! Lucky you! If I could get my wife skiing I would by her almost anything.

My humble advice is a bit different than the pros.

I base it on advices from many fellow skiers and a few coaches plus also my own experiences.

I think one learn much faster and develop the correct posision on a less advanced ski.

Ok you will hopefully need to make some upgrades over the years to come.

But I would regard this as a benefit!

You will then get the opprotunity to really increase her motivation by providing accurate feedback.

Darling, you now ski so well that you need a more advanced ski.

And you can then do it several times =0)

I propose type a Radar P6 until she can do the course at 26 consistently.

Then a type Radar Theory until 30/32 consistently.

After this she will have her own opinion.

Lyric Bindings are super comfortable.

Best luck and please keep us posted on the story!

• Baller
@gsm_peter I owe it to @aswinter05. He recently posted a video of his wife running the course for the first time. I showed it to my wife. Her response was, "Do you think I could do that?" And my answer was, "If you wanted to!" So now, we are shopping for skis!

I rode a 66" HO Espirit and a KD3000 for quite a few years when I first started. Both were marketed as a woman's ski, although 10 years ago I think that just meant "pink it and shrink it". I think that has changed, and a woman's ski is designed be more forgiving for the smaller and lighter skier today. I think @gsm peter has some very valid points.

• Baller
I'm not married but I have seen a spouse get left in the water at a far end of a lake before and lots of shouting from others. Don't coach your spouse, don't drive your spouse, try not to be in the boat either. It will keep you home life happier. The exception may be @ms and @mrs ms

• Baller

@MattP - He speaks some truth. Never coach a spouse voluntarily. If not asked for help, don't offer any.

Only if asked, be simple and positive. Never describe what was done wrong; only state what she can do in a new and different way.

Driving may be OK. If you give her your best and make everything (from boarding the boat to set down near the dock at the end of a set) as smooth, easy and issue free as possible.

Remember that she may be a new skier and not know all the cool things to do, like:

How to put on the ski on the platform, how to exit the platform into the water, how to make a good pullout to set down, how to manage the rope/handle efficiently while down the water, etc.

She will probably take way too long to gear up, but let that go... Again, don't be tempted to correct her to make the set go faster. Just let her be there at the lake and watch how others do it. Make sure she gets to ride in the boat while someone else skis. She's smart and can pick it all up like you did.

Keep it fun, relaxed, and safe. Soon, she'll be hooked and dragging you to the lake!

• Baller
Good advice @ToddL. I plan on taking her to a public lake so that she won't have to worry about short set ups and buoys at first. I just want to get her comfortable and confident on the ski. Whenever she tells me she thinks she's ready, then we will take it to the club and start with the mini course.

• Baller

My wife drives for me and I learned a long time ago to bite my lip because my daughter wasn't old enough to learn how to drive the boat! :) That will all change this year too.

Just purchased an HO Odyssey Comp Freeride with Venom binding and rear toe plate for my daughter yesterday. 63" with ski bag for under $150.00. This is going to be a great ski for her to get going on and be proud of. at 5'2" and all of 100 pounds soaking wet I'm looking forward to seeing her do good things on it.

And she will get to learn ho wto drive our new to us Nautique 196LE this year with dad on the rope behind the boat!

I'm thinking summer is going to be fun..............whnever it gets here??? LOL

@webbdawg99 - congrats on the purchase for your wife and I hope you guys have as much fun on the water as we do?

PS - my wife doesn't ski at all. Just drives and sun tans! :)

• Baller

She was so anxious to give the new ski a try that we went to the lake despite the questionable weather.

She got up first time! She was a little unstable at first. So we worked on body position and then started some pull out drills. It was amazing to see the difference after 30 minutes.

I think we may have a future baller on our hands!