Regina new world record

ForrestGump

• Baller
Yep. Exactly. Told her it was time to stop playing around at 3 ball. She was on a mission today. First round, she got squatted a bit out of 1 and went just inside of 4. Second round she had a much better start to 41. I don't think people realize just how good she is.

• Baller
We had some premium conditions in central Texas today. I didn't see the flags moving any, not terribly hot either. Nice to have a world record in Texas, don't think it will last long, like @shaneh says she gonna run it.

• Supporting Member

Wow that's some sweet driving with Regina pulling the boat all over the place!

I did a little -39 gate drill today. That is goddam short. No clue how somebody can run 41, but it's obvious she can!!

Every weekend this summer is gonna be double WR watch!!

• Baller
Chad hand drove a world record? Hook, line, and sinker @thompjs....I was trying to figure out why nobody was making a bigger deal about that, or even questioning boat times, etc....I figured if anybody could pull a world record by hand, Chad is on the short list

• Baller
good way to never have a pass cut for a gate miss. plus david nelsons studies on shnitzs site seem to suggest that a shortline skier doesnt benefit from aiming tight for the up course right gate ball but might do better skimming the more down course left gate ball instead.

@mwetskier, so that was like the splash of a toy poodle falling off the dock to the ears of gator. What studies?when? Who? What's the theory? I've always thought the gates put your wake crossing too far away from one ball. Is that the hypothesis?! NEED the info! Geek meltdown imminent!!!!

• Baller

I did find it interesting that she "split" the gates. It is also interesting to think that to the far right may not be the best path.....then again, look at Nate's gates......

You have 2 world record holders. One consistently splits the gates, and one consistently goes as far right as possible. The only difference is the speed of the boat. I wonder if this has an impact on the perfect path?

• Supporting Member

If there's one conclusion I feel confident in from my woefully inadequate analysis, it's that there isn't just one optimal path through a slalom course. This became obvious when we couldn't figure out precisely what parameter to optimize! Minimize peak tension? Average tension? Peak acceleration? Avg acceleration? Total energy? The gap between min and max speeds? Generally these choices all lead to different results! (In the rare cases where I could do anything with the resulting hideous differential equation -- or even be able to express it!)

So there are tradeoffs that can be made that might be beneficial to one skiing style or another.

• Baller
Just my two cents but going too early at 38 and beyond at 34 mph can have the affect of getting a skier to max width too soon when max width is starting to become necessary at the ball to round the ball. Then stuck hanging out there for the ball. I'm sure not true for everyone but true for me.

• Baller
gator1 - on steve shnitzs website he has a link to many pages of analysis by david nelson who I think maybe has a phd in physics. not sure how to make a live link, but heres the url for some of the articles: http://www.schnitzskis.com/davidnelson.html one point he makes is that at the shorter line lengths the skiers point of crossing the wake is much more up course at the gate then at any other point in the pass. from that and other things he says ive kind of concluded that aiming just up course of the left hand gate ball might be a better strategy.

• Baller
@mwetskier, thankyou so much for that link. Holy crap! For the analysis minded skier, what an eye opener! There's a lot of reading there and I read it start to finish. Being someone who's bad habits are all grouped in the "bad form" category, this info has come for me at the right time. I haven't yet established any habitual lines through the course as I'm still trying to get to 4 ball, so I now have a solid direction that makes sense to me.