Slalom in southeast WI

Monkstr6100

• Baller
Looking to improve my skiing and get on a slalom course this summer. I have a 2006 gekko gtr and ride a radar vice but need a lake with a course or at least someone that knows more of what they are doing to tell me my bad habits. YouTube can only do so much for me. I am fine with joining a club or whatever I need to do. Any info would be awesome, thanks Zach J

• Baller

There are only two courses on public water that I'm aware of.

One if Neosho Pond as mentioned above. It's an old mill pond that's 3-5 feet deep where the course is with about 6 inches of visibility and sentiment galore. Don't stray too far from the course unless you see other people that know the pond. The two good things - it's got a nice boat ramp and short of one knob that lives on the pond with jet skis you'll never see another non-skier out there. There's a good dock and a bar nearby so you can ski a couple of sets, hit the bar for a good lunch, and then ski another couple of sets. Park at the top of the hill after you put in and make sure you repair any damage to the course. Just bring along an extra ball or two, rope, etc... I believe the MC rep in the area lives on there now as well.

The other course is on the Milwaukee River up in Mequon. I don't know that area so I don't want to steer you in one way or the other. The guy that put that course in has land that borders the river that he bought specifically for skiing. There's a tree sticking out just where you'd want to pull out for the gates going south to north that freaked me out. Jodi did a day there right after the Open last year.

Hope that helps.

Mike

• Baller
I help maintain the course at neosho, we adjust the course, buy new balls, etc, we ask for help from people that ski the course. Because its on a public water we help the city by taking out/putting in the public dock at the launch. Water is dirty and shallow, mainly down at the far end. No skiing before 7am is what they ask. We're there alot (Black 08 MC TT) come say hi.

• Baller

Sitting here reading this thread just reenfoces to me why this is such a great sport filled with awesome people that are willing to share their ski sites with new skiers that want to do what we do. Also why BallofSpray is such a great resource!

@horton you've done good.

@monkstr6100 I hope you find a place to ski! If you are ever in ATL let me know ill give you a pull.

• Baller
Would love to get more information on the Mequon course. My daughter goes to school at Concordia University in the Mequon area. She skis all summer when she is home, next summer she has to stay in Wisconsin most of the summer and will miss skiing. Any info is appreciated.

• Baller
I don't know about existing courses, but I've fished most of the lakes in that area and I would think that Eagle Spring Lake off of County Hwy LO would be an ideal place to drop a portable one in. It's about a 300 acre lake with 9 islands in it, so lots of protection and doesn't seem too crowded, at least on weekdays.

• Baller

Eagle Spring usually has good water, but it also has a counter-clockwise rule and it's slow no wake earlier than sunset as I recall. Pretty shallow, but the best place for a course would be on the south side up along the shore and it is in a weed hole over there as Monkstr6100 said.

Mike

Hi, yes Wisconsin is the show ski capital of the US with 31 teams...

But if you are looking to ski on the Milwaukee river in Mequon...then email Todd Weber:

tweberjjski@gmail.com

There was a course on Sinissippi Lake in Dodge County.

And a few of us that put in portable courses...I'm on Nagawicka 25 miles west of Milwaukee.

• Baller

@Monkstr6100 It's been probably 7-8 years since I've been on Eagle Spring. I remember it being a little weedy but didn't think it was all that bad. My book shows 4-6 feet deep anywhere you would want to ski so it should be fine as far as depth goes.

I wonder if Ashippun Lake off of 67 in northern Waukesha County might not be a great place for a course. Seemed like a forgotten little corner of the world when I was there 20 years ago. I've also ridden past Booth Lake a couple of times on the motorcycle and it seemed the same way, but I don't know if there's a public launch on it and I'm assuming you've already explored that option since you live two minutes away.