Age of your primary ski machine.

Jody_Seal

• Baller_
2009 Malibu Response LX. I believe this might have been the first year for ZO in the RLX. One thing that was cool about Malibu is that they still produced the RLX for orders even when they no longer marketed it in their active product line information on the website or brochures. It also gave them sort of an entry-level boat, as the RLX price was less than the RLXi or TXi. Yes, it is an older hull and the TXi drives better. But, it is a very capable boat, good value, and a great hull design that people still liked. I do not know if you can still order one today.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

2001 Malibu Response Lx with PP, heater, 1060 hours and No need for ZO.

Almost all of the hours are from the original owner. They used it as a year round slalom machine. Now it’s my turn to put some hours on it!

• Baller

Had the first 196 with ZO in South America in early 2008, then a 2010 200 and now a 2013 200.

Although we do not change as often as the promo guys, we do not have them long enough to really love them...

• Baller
Club boat is a 2011 LXi, my personal boat is an 05 197, so I have one foot in each camp from a speed control perspective. I thought about Z-box for the MC, but it is a significant upgrade as I'm still running the single display etc.. This boat gets primarily public lake buoys now so the upgrade is less likely now that the club boat is at the "good" ski site.

• Supporting Member
2005 Nautique. Perfect Pass. I've given some thought to converting to ZO, but I can't seem to justify the expense. I've also thought seriously about a new or new-ish Carbon Pro, but again the large upgrade cost ($20k-ish) seems to make no sense for a boat that overall is only "just as good."

• Baller

1976 Mastercraft Stars 'n Stripes (main boat at the lake for vacation)

1995 Mastercraft Prostar 190 (boat for the ski club for course skiing)

1997 Mastercraft prostar 205 (auxiliary boat)

All hand drivin boats right now.

PP classic soon to be on the 95

• Baller_
@JGray, put Zbox in it. I have skied a 2001 RLX (just last night, in fact) with ZBox that feels very, very close to ZO. Only negative is if you have a short setup. The throttle up and settling in is a bit tricky without some room to work with.

• Baller
I knew I was having a good day last Saturday- got in a great early morning set, then my kid and his buddies wanted me to take them skiing- not tubing, not wakeboarding- slalom skiing, Then my wife got in the boat and said, "You know, this is getting kind of dated, I thik it's time to upgrade." So, I get to move up a category or two from my response!

• Baller

I'm curious as I read through the comments in this thread about Perfect Pass and Zero Off. My curiosity is why skiers have a preference over their favorite cruise control system.

Personally I went to ZO originally since I wanted to experience the same pull I get in a tournament. After using it for a couple years, I enjoy it's simplicity (I just pick a speed and move on, no adjusting for wind, weight, full moons, ect) and a consistent pull, time after time.

• Baller
John for me the ZO vs PP is for driving purposes as much as anything. The PP dbw may be better I haven't driven one. ZO you don't have to worry much about the throttle and its really easy to teach a beginner.

• Baller_

I like ZO for the following reasons:

The boat is right there for me out of the buoy (C2 setting) and the pull is very consistent

Ease of use by the driver - no wind adjust, no weight adjust, no magnets, no throttle finesse

Good design, many features for recreational mode and other tailored pull preferences, simple interface

Seems like it might have less trouble than servo-based mechanical systems

In our ski league we only have two ZO boats and two boats with Zbox. The rest are PerfectPass. I actually struggle going back to PerfectPass now when we use those boats. They are good boats. I just wish they had ZO or Zbox.

Before ZO, I had a different boat with StarGazer. But, I never liked it or got it dialed in right. I just used RPM mode.

I am very happy with ZO and it is the main reason I bought the boat I have now.

• Baller
John, I'm probably in the minority these days but for me I do nearly all my skiing behind 3 different pp boats. Once in a while I get a set or 2 behind zo and I lose at least half a pass even after playing around with different settings. I also haven't skiied a tourney in several years. I'm sure if one of the regular boats was zo it may get better for me but for now i'm quite happy with pp.