How far do you drive to your lake?

ScarletArrow

• Baller

@OB comments about a 1 hour drive to Whitestone made me wonder what other drive times people deal with to get their lake.

Personally, I've got the timing down to the exact minute based on which lake I'm going to, if I'm leaving from home or work, traffic conditions, gas stops, food stops, etc.

• Baller
From school where I am now 35 miles anywhere between 35-45 min depending in the ATL traffic. All interstate When I'm at home it's 15 miles and about 15 min all interstate. Though there is a ski lake 3 miles from campus I wish I could use!

• Baller
There are 3 private lakes within a 75 minute drive from my house, so I try to ski those 2 or 3 weeknights. Weekends are spent on big public water. If the wind isn't blowing I can get an open water set before 9am there. One year I kept track of my driving miles, from Father's day to the weekend after Labor day I drove 7500 miles... I did a lot of skiing that summer!

@thager i put a portable course on lake at our cabin once. DNR came by and told me it had to go because i was "privatizing" the lake. i don't think it helped my case when i told him he was wrong and that this was an 1100 acre lake

• Baller

10 min to minnetonka where we free ski and about 30 minutes to Prior Lake where the course is. Not too bad. There are 1/2 a dozen lakes within 15 minutes of the house that we could use.

Or for the big trips 90 minutes to my folks place on the lake in WI

• Baller
35 minutes to a private boat on a private lake with a private dock & cabin. not my boat or my lake but available to me 24/7. part of the lure is the effort required which makes each ski day a sort of mini ski trip with planning between my ski buddies and technique discussion time while going and coming back home. i know guys who tried to live the dream and moved to a private ski lake and then quit skiing but they dont post here. something about the minor obsticles make each lake trip and every second of ski time seem so much more cherished.

• Baller
Currently I've got a 38 mile drive mostly interstate, so it takes 40 mins. Moving in a couple weeks so I'll only be 20 miles from the lake, about 25-30 mins, can't wait. But, my office is only 15 mins from the lake so I get 2-3 lunch sets a week in the summer. Nothing breaks up the day like a "nooner."

• Supporting Member

I have tremendous respect for anybody who is travelling, and even more so trailering. I can barely fit in all the skiing I'd like to do, and my boat is about a 100 yard walk across the state park's forest behind my house.

Those making trips every time show awesome dedication. My hat is off to you!

• Baller_

@Than_Bogan, you reminded me that my 102 mile drive one-way includes trailering the boat. We have to bring our own boats for practice and one member brings a boat for our league night.

I am hoping to connect with a club that is about 45 minutes from my house with a club boat. I really want to increase my water time and that should help.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_
30 seconds downhill from the deck to the boat lift, much longer return because the dog refuses to leave the boat & walking uphill after an exhausting set is slower! 10-15 minute drive to a tourney lake nearby. It is amazing what we will do to feed the addiction.

• Baller
80 miles one way with the boat. Two trailer flats last year. Of course, my trailer didn't come with a spare. Got one now. I try to bum rides whenever possible. Have a lake 15 minutes from my house, but you have to be invited to ski. So, I don't get out there very often. Public course about 25 minutes, but it is almost always rough. Skied last week, on a weekday around 6:30 pm, in the rain, and still had a guy out there pulling an inner tube.

• Baller

If it's a "Saturday at the lake" (public), we drive 60 minutes and hope for a run or two on decent water before it turns into a day of tubing, kneeboarding, etc...

On a weeknight, we can be at a different public lake in about 15 minutes. It's a 50/50 shot at good water on a week night. It's a 0% chance on the weekend, so we don't even bother and choose to drive to the further lake.

No course on either lake.

Don't ever take your courses and good water for granted.

• Baller
40 minutes from my front door to the boat house with the '13 TXi sitting in the lift. If the fuel gauge reads a little low, I reach over and gas it up a bit. No trailering and no traffic, but I still pine for my own piece of heaven where I can wake up, drink some joe, and take a ski.

• Baller

4 hours, 220ish miles. Time depends on kids and bathroom stops/traffic. Public lake in north central MN. But it is where I grew up, morning and evening sets. 5-10 minutes by Lund to meet buds with tow boats.

Always looking for ways to make it feasable to move back to the lake.

20-30 minutes on the rare occasion I ski @MS's lake.

• Baller
Live on public with a course owned by a friend. Ski another seldom used public 10 minutes away with a friend. Ski "the swamp" 15 minutes south where we have 2 courses. Public, but not really as no one ever there. Sometimes 40 min to @razorskier1's private site...not often enough.

• Baller
We have a boat waiting for us on a lift. So at least after a long drive we just drop the boat in the water and ski. Traffic is too heavy after work, so typically ski Friday - Sunday. We live 10 minutes away from a private ski lake and get to ski there sometimes.

• Baller
150 feet to the Malibu at the end of my dock on a public lake with a course, but due to all the lake traffic its been off the lift 3 times this summer. That's O.K. as four of us are fortunate to lease a 2100 ft. private lake with a Nautique 10 min away. It actually works out great as we sail, kayak, swim and float on the public lake and still have amazing skiing close. In fact as I write this I'm waiting for my wife to return from her after work walk and we going out for a moonlit putt putt around the lake on the pontoon!