My unexpected results on the first set of my Reflex Binding

ScarletArrow

• Baller

@ktm300 My understanding is the tab that people are cutting off is on the inside on the lower shell. It wouldn't have anything to do with the bottom lip on the lower cuff that prevents the upper cuff from going too far back. It just restricts forward movement. See ShaneH's photo on the first page and note that the upper cuff has been rotated forward to better show the cut out. I'm wrong A LOT so take this with a grain of salt but I don't see how the inner tab has anything to do with the upper cuff going too far back.

@ShaneH Thanks for being patient with us.

• Baller
Pictures are better. The white cuff is cut out v the black. The shell itself is cut out too on the white cuff version. The white cuff does articulate back more because of the cut outs. I could not tell much difference and ski the same in both.

• Baller

Reflex used to make a carbon cuff. Back then Remi sold Reflex in the US. Called him to purchase the carbon cuff and he told me not to buy it. He told me for slalom, cut the upper part of the back cuff and the tab. Did it and never had a problem releasing and the back of the boot doesn't jam my calf.

My system is coming up on 5 years old and when I replace it I will go with the black boot again. Haven't heard enough good to pay extra for the white cuff IMHO.

• Baller

I skied my first set on my Reflex today. I made the modifications that @ShaneH documented. Fortunately it was windy in our course so I just free skied. The first couple of passes I couldn't get the ski to turn at all on my onside. By the 7th or 8th pass back I started to be able to turn the ski on both sides. I set the ski up at the same 29.5" binding setting my Strada had. My feet do feel a little closer together than they did with the Strada. By the end of the set I felt like I could turn the ski on each side.

Tomorrow morning I am going to try to run my opener and see how it goes.

• Baller
OB, the brake strap is pointless. I have been modifying my hardshells by cutting the tabs and cuffs for over 15 years...and have skied with many different types of shells... See ya at the lake!

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

@Gloerson I am currently running black cuff, love the system. Yeaterday had a freak OTF similar to what you described, going to switch to brake or white cuff. It appears the brake is adjustable, did you just get in water to test proper tension for release engagement?

Thank you.

• Baller

@mylemsky – I’d recommend testing the release while the ski is on a yoga mat on the platform (fin obviously over the edge) and move forward simulating an out the front; a firm move forward with ample dorsiflexion should initiate an easy release. Gentle forward movement should not cause an easy release. I’d put the brake strap in the middle hole initially, tighten the two forward (foot) buckles firmly, the upper ankle buckle moderately snug. Once comfortable with the buckle tensions, mark them with paint or tape to reproduce the same buckle tension each time as consistent performance on a Reflex is dependent upon such.

I had taken my original Silvretta release mechanism (5-years) and placed it on my trick ski (using old black-cuff shell) so as to be rid of that horrific trick wrap Wiley and placed the new Silvretta release mechanism on the M6 with the “same” numerical setting but never land tested the release. In retrospect I had several mild tip stuffs with slow falls at 2/4 that in the past would have created a smooth shell detachment from the ski, but instead was not releasing and recall getting a sore calf as a result a couple of times. I now suspect that this was a partial tear and prelude to the rupture when striking the GBB.

While I read all the variations in the cuff break being applied; all is well until one’s Achilles tendon becomes the brake strap. Just be certain that however it is setup, that this is avoided.

@Stevie Boy – trim the top of the cuff down it will help. If you retain the full cuff height the ski tip will tend to ride too high when initiating the onside turn, imo.

• Baller
I got it wrong it's funny how you can feel something and diagnose it incorrectly, whats happening in a matter of fact is the onside turn, is happening without me realising, coming back towards the bouy line before I have had chance to reach, moved the fin forward, now experiencing vicious on side turn, the offside not so good now, was thinking of going back to the setting I had and move the binding back, i,m on mapple 6.0

I moved to a Nano One with Reflex White Cuff RFF and the "R" style rear. My skiing has never been better, but unfortunately I hit a roller going around 3 (34mph, 22off), my ski left the water, and when it rejoined I went one way, the ski went the other, I came out of the ski, and I ended up with an inside ankle fracture right foot (front). My question is this...

Could I have had the boot not buckled tight enough? I'm 160 lbs., with the binding set at 4. If I was buckled in tighter, I'm thinking my leg wouldn't have torqued the ankle as much as it did prior to release.

Another thing I've noticed is that several times when coming off the ski, the heel of my front foot has smashed my shin, either badly bruising and/or actually cutting my shin. Anyone else experience that? All feedback welcome (other than the obvious comments like "try to stop wiping out.")

• Baller

One can only speculate. At least an ankle fx will mend quickly, I'm assuming you refer to an isolated medial malleolar fx which can be conservatively managed (if non-displaced, single malleolus and normal mortise).

Torsional and/or lateral forces tend to mitigate predictable qualities of hardshell release systems. One might argue that having the upper buckle on the loose side may have lessened the forces on the ankle prior to release if a torsional or lateral impact on landing type event took place.

Regarding the rear leg shin abrasions with release; try a piece of mildly high density foam (I use that from packing materials, it's compressible) cut to size of the heel block and about 1/4" thick. Epoxy it to the back of the block. If done properly it won't interfere with the release and softens the impact with the shin substantially.

Good luck with your fx and heal well.

• Baller

@Gloersen Thank you for the brake and release recommendations. Also for foam on the heal block idea, wish I had some of that sooner.

White cuff boot on order, thanks to Brian at h2oproshop for hunting one down.

@larrynipon thought there was a thread a few years back of guys wearing soccer shin guards on their rear leg, cause the release mech will bite too.

All part of the fun.

• Baller

agree, typically the strike is not upon the Silvretta release, but upon the heel of the shell and on that typically the block. Pad it up or wear shin guard.

@Stevie Boy. The advantage of the Reflex is its firm fixation to the ski and the ability to clamp the bottom of one's foot with the 2 fore buckles firmly to the top of the ski; this provides great edge control. Too much fixation or immobility due to the upper cuff translates minor (or excessive) body movements to the ski. Unless you are technically perfect such movements will cause too much pitch in the ski. Trimming down the upper cuff (to the line just above the top buckle) will help alleviate this. The higher portion of the cuff in the back will cause early and easy tip rise if getting back on the ski, common for many of us approaching the heelside turn; this tip rise makes it difficult to initiate the turn. Too stiff a liner extending above the cuff will have impact as well, e.g. the Intuition liner, heat mold it and keep the upper portion dilated above the cuff.

Acclimation and reducing cuff height will help.

• Baller
@Larrynipon-What broke your ankle? Did the ski tip grab and the boot not release in time? Just curious, since I am coming off of a ankle break caused by ligaments pulling a small piece of bone off the ankle. I was skiing the nano one and stuffed the tip and my PowerShells didn't release.

• Baller

@Gloersen I think you have hit the nail on the head, I do move a lot, I am trying to stop that, but what you are describing, about tip rise on the heelside (onside) turn, the ski feels like it is not turning and then it just dives in, before it dives in the ski has drifted into the bouy line, giving you sloppy line, that your brain cannot understand.

I moved to a reflex because getting out of the ski after a set was proving uncomfortable, for my knees which have had a lot of surgery, or though having problems getting it to work, my knees are much better and nowhere near so sore after skiing.

Nervous about cutting the cuff, once it's gone there is no putting it back ?

• Baller
I cut mine it was no big deal and my transition to the Reflex has been pretty smooth. I had some struggles in my first set with the onside turn but by the end of the set I felt like I could make it turn. In my second set I skied in the course and ran down the line. I do tend to be fairly quiet on the ski though so I think that helps.

@ScarletArrow how is the switch going? I ski almost the same, not through 22 yet though. LFF and recently had a couple partial releases which make me think maybe I should try to get one now to get used to over the end of this season and beginning of next.

Did you go R-style for the rear?

• Baller
@Patrick September is a tough month for me to ski...life just catches up. I put the Reflex back on this past week after my last tournament and took one long set - it was great. Definitely staying with this binding for the long term. The quick edge change of the binding does expose a previously unknown bad habit where I release the handle early and fall back onto my back foot into my offside turn. However, when I focus on this aspect, I've had some of the best offside turns of the year. I'm a RTP guy, so I've stayed with that setup.

• Baller

@TUP Quantum and Reflex use the same shell. The liner is slightly different but might just be the color and logo. I have a LFF Quantum with original liner, Fluid Motion Splash liner, and Splash low cut liner on Ski-it-again UNUSED never been in the water for 150.00 delivered. That is below the cost of the new boot and factory liner...

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=Bindings&postid=25359

• Baller
I've been using a Reflex front for the last 5 sets. I'm thinking about going back to my old bindings for the same reasons, plus the deep water starts are taking a toll on my old back and arms. It's almost as hard to go back as it is to get used to the Reflex.

• Baller
@OB I'm betting the ski didn't turn very well when you went back to the powershells because you had gotten used to the way the Reflex reacted. Not knocking the Reflex because I love mine but I recently just changed liners and it was like learning to ski a different binding all over again when I went out on open water. So I went back to the old liner when I went to the course the next day and I couldn't ski that anymore either because I had already started to figure out the new liner. Changing bindings sucks!