looking for a used boat

brody

• Baller
I am currently trying to help a couple buddies who are looking for a used boat. We are located in central Canada, (Winnipeg) just above North Dakota. They both are seeking an open bow, no more than $18000. I figure they are gonna be looking at 1999-2002 Response lx. These are not hard core slalom guys, just looking to move up from outboards so we don't need suggestions of the 97-99 Nautiques. They will not consider anything that is not an open bow. I have been looking at craigslist, ski-it-again, and onlyinboards. They do not want to travel over 12 hours. Any tips on some boats is appreciated. TX in advance

• Baller

Probably a little longer than 12 hours, BUT I bet my friend would meet them in Montana area if they were truly interested.

It is a 1996 SPOTLESS Mastercraft open bow Pro Start 205. It is mint, I mean it is even nicer than my boat and gets GREAT CARE!

http://wenatchee.craigslist.org/boa/4045792874.html

Price could be negociated I am sure. But it sounds like a good fit for them.

• Baller

I have a 2001 Response lx, they have skied it, driven it, and love it. They will be skiing at slower speeds at 15 off, strictly free skiing. They all love the way my boat handles and the wake behind it. They are open to the 97 Nautiques open bow (hard to find) or a 2001 and newer MC but the prices tend to be higher.

I have skied behind a 96 MC and did not like the wake at all, not in the same league as far as I'm concerned.

oldjeep, I bought my boat from Minnesota Inboard, was an awesome experience and highly recommend them. for some reason that link and the one on their website hasn't been working on my computer lately, but I will keep trying.

I'm not looking for suggestions on boat types, just tips on any for sale that you guys would know about, not trying to be disrespectful to anyone

bannaron, If you can send me the info on your boat that would be great

• Supporting Member
Heh, I had to read the post 3 times to convince myself that you ruled out 97-99 Nautiques. It seems I am doomed to never understand the appeal of an open bow -- probably in just the same way that the folks you mention can't understand the appeal of a closed one!

• Baller

@Than, they all have families so they need the space of an open bow.

@bigtallweed, I have never skied the tsc hull at 15 or 22 off, only 28 and up, so I cannot comment on it, I do know that my buddy has a 97 response (pre-diamond hull) and it is not nearly as nice at 15 and 22 off as the post diamond hulls

@MS, I know in the RLX there isn't a ton of room up there, but it is something, and its what they asked me to help them find

• Baller

All this is only MY opinion based on MY personal experience. I don't claim to know more about boats than anybody else here. All I am doing with this thread is trying to help my friends find a boat suited to their needs and maybe help someone here sell a boat, so please here is the last of my comments, after this I would just like to hear if you are aware of some boats for sale in the north central US or prairies in Canada.

@KcSwerver, from what I have been told in the past, the 95-96 MC is the original hull that they used to base the early x-stars on. I have skied it and hated the wake, (again personal opinion). It would make a good cross over boat, but has a significantly bigger wake than that of the SN or Malibu. All the ones that are used at the lake I go to have had towers put on them and are used for wakeboarding and surfing. This is why there isn't a big market for them from hard core slalom skiers.

I have no issue with the 97 Nautiques. I have skied behind 2 different ones and found the wakes to be very nice. My frineds want an open bow, the 97-99 snob was a much different hull, and there aren't many of them anyway. The SN handle great in straight lines and are great in a course for driving. The response handles like a sports car in open water but hey don't track as well in the course.

My friends as I have said will be strictly open water skiing and pulling tubes so the better turning malibus are better suited to their needs. With that being said, I am showing them all the options that fit into their budget, the final choice is theirs. I already have a boat.

Again no disrespect is intended to anyone.

• Baller
@Brody I on the other hand have skied behind the 97 prostar 205 about a thousand times anywhere from 32-36 mph -15 to 28 off and although it isnt as butter as our 95 prostar 190 it was pretty damn good for being the first x-star hull (yes you are correct) but once you get over like 32 mph it is also a beautiful slalom boat.